Husqvarna 394XP vs 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWIT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
According to the technical data in Husqvarna's manual the 394 has more power than the 395 with the same bore and stroke. So what is the difference?

I'm gonna guess its the difference made from the noise pollution and EPA required emissions devices. I have a 394XP and have run a 395XP, you can tell the difference, but they're very similar in power and speed. The 395 is a little more comfortable to run.

dealer

According to my dealer, he said the 394 was more powerful because they used a plactic intake manifold on it, and the 395 lost power over the 394 because they used a rubber intake manifold. The old 394's would vapor lock in hot weather with the plastic intake, but the 395's won't because they have a rubber intake.:greenchainsaw:

According to my dealer, he said the 394 was more powerful because they used a plactic intake manifold on it, and the 395 lost power over the 394 because they used a rubber intake manifold. The old 394's would vapor lock in hot weather with the plastic intake, but the 395's won't because they have a rubber intake.:greenchainsaw:

I have a 395 XPG. I think the G part is the heated handle and Carb. It will reall vapor lock if you happen to hit that carb switch. Couldn't figure out what the heck went wrong. Turned the switch off and never had another problem with vapor lock (with premium). never ran a 394, but I like my 395.

394 vs 395

I have a 395 XPG. I think the G part is the heated handle and Carb. It will reall vapor lock if you happen to hit that carb switch. Couldn't figure out what the heck went wrong. Turned the switch off and never had another problem with vapor lock (with premium). never ran a 394, but I like my 395.

I like em' both....lol As long as they're high top saws........lol:greenchainsaw:

The carb heating should only be used for a short time I believe, but the manuals are not quite clear on that point......:confused:

Last edited:
I have a 394 and love it, its a low top, but I still love it. It and a 395 have enough power to do dame near most anything.

I would like "mine" to be a low-top - no need for the extra bulk and weight here - but not for a saw that size either.....

The 395 is a four transfer port motor. It is more powerful than the two transfer 394. The 395 is more powerful, regardless of bias for older saws.

And for some odd reason they went from a side chain adjuster on the 394xp to a front on the 395xp.

Ian

The 395 is a four transfer port motor. It is more powerful than the two transfer 394. The 395 is more powerful, regardless of bias for older saws.

As far as Husky ratings, arn't they both rated at 7.1hp? I can't imagine you could tell the difference between the two.

My 394 has a front chain adjuster.

As far as Husky ratings, arn't they both rated at 7.1hp? I can't imagine you could tell the difference between the two.

My 394 has a front chain adjuster.

Fits what I have been able to find out - but the power-band could be different, even though max hp is the same.

.....but then there may be other differences that changes the picture again, likely EPA-inflicted ones....

Last edited:
My 394XP will outcut my buddies 395XP, not by much, but about a second in some 18" Pine. Both have the front chain adjuster. Mine has never vapor locked, but I run it on premium.

My 394XP will outcut my buddies 395XP, not by much, but about a second in some 18" Pine. Both have the front chain adjuster. Mine has never vapor locked, but I run it on premium.

Mine has never vapor locked either, actually I usually don't run premium. But I don't think that will make a difference in vapor locking.

Also between you and your buddies saw, there is going to be some differences, between the two of you, you may run yours a little better, and maybe you can get your chain sharper then his. I really don't think there is much concerable difference between the two to be worried about.

Last edited:
Mine has never vapor locked either, actually I usually don't run premium. But I don't think that will make a difference in vapor locking.

Also between you and your buddies saw, there is going to be some differences, between the two of you, you may run yours a little better, and maybe you can get your chain sharper then his. I really don't think there is much concerable difference between the two to be worried about.

I think it did on mine. The reg gas was boiling in the tank. I switched to the premium and it stopped. Might be a coincidence, but I don't think so. Only really had a problem on a real hot day. Shouldn't of been out there (deer flys just too nasty - and the beer was cold at home)

Latest posts

Back