HUSQVARNA 41-- Any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senixon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Sorry for asking a dumb question, but could not find any info on the web about this model (must be an older one). I need to buy a 16"-18" saw for general homer owner use, it'll be used a few times a year and used lightly for the most part. I've been offered to buy a "Husky 41" for around $120... I've been told it had been well maintained and that it starts and runs fine. I'd rather buy a good used saw then a crappy new one for the same money...

Does anyone know what's the reputation of this saw? Should I consider something else instead in this price range?

Thanks in advance.

41, that rings a bell.

Follow the link below for technical data. I owned one of these and could never get it to run right. Donated it to Goodwill as a tax write off. Huskies rule overall. That may have been a model that sold as a Poulin also. Apparently some of their smaller saws are sold by several manufacturers. I had a 23 Husky that I bought replacement parts for from Sears, exactly the same saw that sold under the Craftsman name. From what I recall, Poulin sold the same saw only in their sickly green color. But that's another story. Good luck. Find a restorable 242xp and you're in business.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...246f20f9997db6be88256b5200157ab9?OpenDocument

Last edited:
Treetom - thanks for your suggestion, I'll stay away from that one. Local pawn shops have plenty of Poulan/Craftsman/McCulloch stuff which would probably be enough for my needs, but I'd rather not.

Also some of these saws are named arbitrarily, is there a system or a naming convention that Stihl and Husy use that may make some sense what kind of saw I'm looking at such as letter pre-fixes, etc.

check out craigslist

Yesterday, a guy across the bridge (narrows) posted some poulan and craftsman saw, as well as 2 025's. He wants 160 a piece for the 025's. Also, a guy in Enumclaw just listed a Husky 51 in really good shape for 100. This might help you out a bit.

Yesterday, a guy across the bridge (narrows) posted some poulan and craftsman saw, as well as 2 025's. He wants 160 a piece for the 025's. Also, a guy in Enumclaw just listed a Husky 51 in really good shape for 100. This might help you out a bit.

Thanks for the heads up, except where can I get some more info, posted where?

...That may have been a model that sold as a Poulin also. Apparently some of their smaller saws are sold by several manufacturers. ...

The 41 was never sold under other brand names, even though it was assambled at the Poulan factory, from parts "made in Sweden and in the US"....

120 USD is simply too much for a used one.

The 41 was never sold under other brand names, even though it was assambled at the Poulan factory, from parts "made in Sweden and in the US"....

120 USD is simply too much for a used one.

Thanks! Not knowing these saws makes it really hard to gauge the value, I appreciate your reply.

From the information here, it seems I just made a big mistake by buying a used 41 with no guidebar or chain for $80.00. Since I used it once and the module fried, and that cost me $45.00 to replace, is it better to junk it now that after 1 hour running the muffler burned through the oil tank?

Saw Troll is right on. I have several 41s and have had a good run with them. However, they are strictly a homeowner saw in construction and are not up to the quality standards of the other Huskys. Having said that, they are still much better than a Poulan. I've cut an awful lot of wood with mine.

$120 is too much, $80 is better for a nice one. The 025 shows more quality in its construction (but is still a homeowner unit) than the 41 and the Husky 51 probably has the highest quality and the most power of all the saws mentioned......pretty long in the tooth, though. $100 bucks for a nice one is a fair price. If you are looking for a solid saw that is built to take some abuse, the 51 should be considered. There are lots of used parts available and they are easy to work on.

I've got a 41 I bought off a guy for $25.00. Not a bad little saw and the one I usually take 4-wheeling so if I loose it, back over it, it's not the end of the world. I strap it to my fuel tank carrier and it stays out in the mud and the blood and the beer. Always seems to start thought.

It's got a funny angle between the motor and the bar...not quite 90 degrees. I usually cut crooked with that saw because of it! Guess it doesn't matter clearing trails.

Back