Husqvarna 450e

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muffler

Does the muffler affect the power?:msp_unsure:dunno:

Yea I do , and yes I have owned two , And no mine did not have a cat muffler. And yes if you use saw for work they do not last forever, but since your so interested I run the heck out of them for a yr or so and sell them . Also its damn funny that the 450 has only been available since late 09 when I sold my first 450 in the AS trading post in 08, I bought it new from the local husky shop in the summer of 08. So I guess it must have been a prototype! LMAO Get your facts straight so your not talking out your ass!

My mistake I just found the receipt for the 450, It was the 3rd of OCT 2008, so that would be fall ! LOL Still a long ways from late 09!

Does the muffler affect the power?:msp_unsure:dunno:

It does, but since the 450E is a so called X-torq (strato) engine, it wont need the CAT muffler, to reach the emission standards, and that´s why you can´t get it with the CAT!

If you like to know more about the X-torq technology, try and search for Husqvarna 460 X-torq on You-Tube.

Here's something else to consider about the 450 - it weighs less than the 346. The 450 is based upon the 445, but bored out 2mm. The 445 is listed as weighing 10.8 lbs - However, they list the 450 at 11.33 lbs, and that is just a bit higher than the 346.

So, does anyone really think the 450 piston weighs 1/2 lb more than the 445 piston?

When you go to the shop manual they again list the weights of the powerheads, but they gave the game away when they listed the powerhead plus cutting equipment for both of them - they are the same.

I figure what happened was Husky didn't want to list a homeowner 50cc saw (and that is a strato) that was actually lighter than their expensive 'pro' 346.

Plenty of mis-information in this thread, some of it already corrected. Lot's of guys make assumptions and post crap that is accepted as fact by others. It's a shame in a way that this site has almost become too popular. Then people like the OP google their way here and not only get fed wrong info, but get bombarded with dozens more suggestions, culminating with the predictable "ya gotta get a pro saw" advice. In a way, this site is the worst place someone could ask the "what saw should I buy?" question.

For all the talk about Cat mufflers, no one has mentioned that the 353 is so equiped, and that alone is a reason to stear clear of it. The 450E also differs from the standard 450 by having the spring assist starter, in addition to the tooless chain adjuster.

As far as the single on/off/choke control goes, if someone is getting their first saw, then they are not going to be used to another type of set up, and therefore will not be confused by the single control arrangement.

Plenty of mis-information in this thread, some of it already corrected. Lot's of guys make assumptions and post crap that is accepted as fact by others. It's a shame in a way that this site has almost become too popular. Then people like the OP google their way here and not only get fed wrong info, but get bombarded with dozens more suggestions, culminating with the predictable "ya gotta get a pro saw" advice. In a way, this site is the worst place someone could ask the "what saw should I buy?" question.

For all the talk about Cat mufflers, no one has mentioned that the 353 is so equiped, and that alone is a reason to stear clear of it. The 450E also differs from the standard 450 by having the spring assist starter, in addition to the tooless chain adjuster.

As far as the single on/off/choke control goes, if someone is getting their first saw, then they are not going to be used to another type of set up, and therefore will not be confused by the single control arrangement.

You rock :rock:

As for the 353.
Overhere they normaly come without the CAT!

Anybody who buys their saw from a dealer will get an explanation on how the controls work, anyway, so there shouldn't be any confusion with the mechanism. Anybody who is inclined for mechanical use should be able to figure it out anyway considering the directions to start those saws are attached right to the saw next to the control.

I'd be willing to bet that you don't just take it out of the box and sell it like the mass retailers do :cheers:

Anybody who buys their saw from a dealer will get an explanation on how the controls work, anyway, so there shouldn't be any confusion with the mechanism. Anybody who is inclined for mechanical use should be able to figure it out anyway considering the directions to start those saws are attached right to the saw next to the control.

I'd be willing to bet that you don't just take it out of the box and sell it like the mass retailers do :cheers:

Yup, always explain and demostrate everything to the customer. :)

Here's another thought: If someone can't handle the on/off switch, they probably shouldn't own a chainsaw.

Leave it to Spike to bring reality back to a thread

Here's another thought: If someone can't handle the on/off switch, they probably shouldn't own a chainsaw.

I really like that, Spike!!!

:cheers:

I dont think anyone asked her what size trees were on her land either....

24" trees will take a little work with the 450.

Where's the on/off switch?

Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

OK, I won't use the saw.

Shopping for a gift for my husband who is very cheap......buys things that aren't quite the quality he would hope for....
So now he has a very old huskey his brother sold him .....spends more time trying to get it to work well enough than cutting wood!:bang::msp_cursing:

So, thanks for all the feedback.......I am figuring it out......all info is good :yourock:

It does, but since the 450E is a so called X-torq (strato) engine, it wont need the CAT muffler, to reach the emission standards, and that´s why you can´t get it with the CAT!

If you like to know more about the X-torq technology, try and search for Husqvarna 460 X-torq on You-Tube.

Agree, with you here. I actually thought the 450 xtorq s I owned had more nuts than the 2 350 s I owned. I did muff mod my 450 s , though I have a new muffler stock at home I though it was one I had to replace a cat. Now I recall the stock muffler was to put on when I took the saws in for warranty work. Out of the 2 450s I owned I had 1 taken in for a carb issue when it was almost new other wise no probs, and strong runners. I like them alot more than the 455!

2pine, you will be ahead to get the saw from a good independent dealer.
I'd not buy one from a big box store.

Although I personally prefer pro grade saws, the 450 will be a good saw for your husband.

Last edited:
450 is a damn good saw, the non cat model is best, I have owned a couple and would buy another. Lighter than the 455 and smoother. I have a non cat muffler for one if you need it.

No cats involved with those saws - that E means that the saw has the "easy" chain adjuster and easy-start, that most on here (including me) don't want......

What model old husky?

Ha, Ha, Ha!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

OK, I won't use the saw.

Shopping for a gift for my husband who is very cheap......buys things that aren't quite the quality he would hope for....
So now he has a very old huskey his brother sold him .....spends more time trying to get it to work well enough than cutting wood!:bang::msp_cursing:

So, thanks for all the feedback.......I am figuring it out......all info is good :yourock:

You might be better off just getting the older one running correctly. Sometimes saws have very little actually "wrong" with them. typically things like a gunked up carb perhaps, who knows, but post the model and the symptoms of it not working well. There are some *extremely* knowledgeable people here as regards analyzing problems and fixing saws. (I am not one of them, still just a dabbler on saws, but they are here)

And if you now own a farm, you *will* be needing to sharpen up joe mechanic fixit skills..... farm="stuff breaks", this is a cosmic truthiness

Also, pics! Everyone here loves pics of saws and whatnot. You might need to pull the muffler off and take a closeup pic of what you can see in there so the guys here can tell you if the saw is worth messing with or not. They need to see what the surface of the piston and cylinder look like.

Chainsaw wisdom

Thanks........lots of good info here!! :yourock:

I think having someone to take the saw back to is probably essential, actually. It's not like a toaster that I
can just send back if it's not working.

My daughter is going to take pics of the Husky 55 we have and email it to me on her blackberry. I think that's the easiest option we have for
getting a photo on the net. She's studying for an Organic Chemistry final right now so it may be a couple days before we get it together on the pics.

The chainsaw has a date on it: 1998...so I don't know if that's when this particular saw was made or what...will find out when I've got pics I
guess.

Maybe I could learn about maintenance of saws. Once we move out to "Lindberg Land" I can get a brother-in-law or cousin to coach me. The
property is bounded on all sides by family properties: brothers, sister, cousin, Mom so the place has great potential for all kinds of resources I can tap into. This is why we bought it before we sold the one we live at now.

So it's a stretch covering all the bases financially, which is why I am trying to figure everything out best I can. On the other hand I don't want
to just get something that I'll be wishing I'd have invested a little more in for the long term value. A good machine is one that makes your life
better I think.:chainsaw:

May take a few posts to RSVP to all the good stuff in this one.

You might be better off just getting the older one running correctly. Sometimes saws have very little actually "wrong" with them. typically things like a gunked up carb perhaps, who knows, but post the model and the symptoms of it not working well. There are some *extremely* knowledgeable people here as regards analyzing problems and fixing saws. (I am not one of them, still just a dabbler on saws, but they are here)
And if you now own a farm, you *will* be needing to sharpen up joe mechanic fixit skills..... farm="stuff breaks", this is a cosmic truthiness

Also, pics! Everyone here loves pics of saws and whatnot. You might need to pull the muffler off and take a closeup pic of what you can see in there so the guys here can tell you if the saw is worth messing with or not. They need to see what the surface of the piston and cylinder look like.

Nothing but the facts!

It's all good. :notrolls2:

A month ago I knew next to nothing about chainsaws. Now a know a little. By this time next year I'll know quite a bit more. So I'm not asking
anyone to tell me what to do...like get a pro-saw. I'm trying to learn enough to make a decision we'll be happy with is all.

This has been a great forum for me to figure stuff out without giving away the surprise....he can always take it back and get a different saw if
doesn't like it. I'm just a little crazy when it comes to giving a good gift. Plus there's quite a bit of work I want him to do to clean up our
property so I can sell it!! He needs a decent machine to git-er-done. :chainsawguy:

Back