Husqvarna 450e

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 450 is marginal as a replacement for a 55 - but it probably will do the job that the 55 did.

It means that you are replacing an older magnesium cased saw with a newer "plastic" cased one with a slightly smaller engine, and that sort of feels wrong to me......

The Rancher 55 is a well built saw with the exception of the carb mounting screws that screw into plastic, the open port models are no powerhouse and have a small powerband. Closed port models are fine saws, light and good power. Those stripped carb screws can be fixed easy with a long screw with a nut on it. Steve

The Rancher 55 is a well built saw with the exception of the carb mounting screws that screw into plastic, the open port models are no powerhouse and have a small powerband. Closed port models are fine saws, light and good power. Those stripped carb screws can be fixed easy with a long screw with a nut on it. Steve

A US sold 1998 55 is likely to not be a Rancher, but a 51cc closed port EPA one - most likely the best 55 made, despite 2cc less.

That is not the issue though......

Also its damn funny that the 450 has only been available since late 09. LMAO Get your facts straight so your not talking out your ass!

My mistake I just found the receipt for the 450, It was the 3rd of OCT 2008, so that would be fall ! LOL Still a long ways from late 09!

Sorry it appears in the United States the 450 may have possibly been available since mid 2007, whereas it was fall 2009 in Canada. I cannot order a regular 450 here, nor a 455e,372 x-torq,365 x-torq.........but I can get a 353 without a cat muffler.

I will try to do better with keeping up with the dates and particulars of the models in the US.

Sorry it appears in the United States the 450 may have possibly been available since mid 2007, whereas it was fall 2009 in Canada. I cannot order a regular 450 here, nor a 455e,372 x-torq,365 x-torq.........but I can get a 353 without a cat muffler.

I will try to do better with keeping up with the dates and particulars of the models in the US.

Different things happen on different markets, regardless of brands - no reason to be sorry!

The reason that the 450 didn't replace the 350 as early in Canada as as did in the EPA-riddled USA should be easy to figure out.....:givebeer:

I bought this 2007 Husqvarna 350 a couple months ago for $120.

Here's the AD . . .
"I have a nearly new chainsaw that needs to go. This was a present and I only use Stihl, so there is no room for this equipment. I have two bars, a hard carrying case and new chain. I have used it a few times to appease my wife, but its still damn near new."

The saw was nearly new. There was no dust inside it on the flywheel fins or anything.

The chain brake band was torn off the cover, apparently where someone had tried to remove it with the brake on?

But neither of the chains was the original Husqvarna chain. They were Carlton Chisel chains. 18" & 20" .325 pitch

Both were ruined from jumping off the bar. This had put dents into the edges of the drive links and the chains would no longer fit into the bar groove.

The 18" chain was put together with a 3/8" low profile connecting link so this chain would climb the nose and drive sprockets when the connecting link come by.

The 20" chain had two extra drive links, so the bar was all extended out and the chain was Stihl loose.

I doubt if this guy's Stihl saw was any better? He said it was a Stihl 480 ???

I filed the chain drive links to get the dings out and corrected the connecting link/length problem. I also installed a new clutch brake band. Re-installing the brake "over center" spring was fun.

As you can see, this very nice looking guy had a few problems besides the dealer that made up the chains? The problem was not the Husky 350 chainsaw.

Apparently, he doesn't have to concern himself with the wife any longer?

I sure enjoy the chainsaw. It is a nice one after I corrected the problems. It now looks as though it has only made one or two cuts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Husqvarna wife must go...$??

Maybe he sold the wife as well. :goat: What was she thinking giving a husky to a stihlman????????

What a great story!!!!!!!!!!! You have some skills to make this into such a happy ending.:yourock:

So here's what I have narrowed things down to so far: $800 is too much for us right now (he might think I lost my mind); probably anything
less than 50 cc is not enough saw; probably a Husky 'cause I know the most about them and they seem like decent quality and stihl affordable for us. Although as i learn more about the workings of a chainsaw, I may understand enough to choose a different brand if I come across a
good deal. It would need to be an 18" bar.

To be continued...........

I bought this 2007 Husqvarna 350 a couple months ago for $120.

Here's the AD . . .
"I have a nearly new chainsaw that needs to go. This was a present and I only use Stihl, so there is no room for this equipment. I have two bars, a hard carrying case and new chain. I have used it a few times to appease my wife, but its still damn near new."

The saw was nearly new. There was no dust inside it on the flywheel fins or anything.

The chain brake band was torn off the cover, apparently where someone had tried to remove it with the brake on?

But neither of the chains was the original Husqvarna chain. They were Carlton Chisel chains. 18" & 20" .325 pitch

Both were ruined from jumping off the bar. This had put dents into the edges of the drive links and the chains would no longer fit into the bar groove.

The 18" chain was put together with a 3/8" low profile connecting link so this chain would climb the nose and drive sprockets when the connecting link come by.

The 20" chain had two extra drive links, so the bar was all extended out and the chain was Stihl loose.

I doubt if this guy's Stihl saw was any better? He said it was a Stihl 480 ???

I filed the chain drive links to get the dings out and corrected the connecting link/length problem. I also installed a new clutch brake band. Re-installing the brake "over center" spring was fun.

As you can see, this very nice looking guy had a few problems besides the dealer that made up the chains? The problem was not the Husky 350 chainsaw.

Apparently, he doesn't have to concern himself with the wife any longer?

I sure enjoy the chainsaw. It is a nice one after I corrected the problems. It now looks as though it has only made one or two cuts.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I read the thread again, and you sound cool enough to buy him a 346xp - and that is exactly what you should do! Just make sure it doesn't have a cat muffler on it - some of them do, and there will be a cost related to replacing it, like on the 353.

It is the only saw mentioned here that will improve on his 55, regarding performance and quality.

346xp

Glad you agree...........ha, ha. I was just looking at saws on line and wondering if this might be a good choice...honest....great minds think alike or something. :givebeer:

It's past my bedtime...but these chainsaws can be intoxicating!

I read the thread again, and you sound cool enough to buy him a 346xp - and that is exactly what you should do! Just make sure it doesn't have a cat muffler on it - some of them do, and there will be a cost related to replacing it, like on the 353.

It is the only saw mentioned here that will improve on his 55, regarding performance and quality.

If you´re on a budget, and dosen´t just WANT a new saw, I would try to get the 55 runing. To me it´s basicly a pro saw, dressed up as a Farmer/rancher saw!
Other´s here may disagree!
My Dad has used a 50 and a 51 (nearly same saw) for + 20 years, for ALL his firewood, and he only heat with wood!
Never any issues, except for a little piece of wood clogging up the muffler once (think it was on his 50).
Last year I´ve bought an unused 55 from 2005, very nice saw, with good power.

Glad you agree...........ha, ha. I was just looking at saws on line and wondering if this might be a good choice...honest....great minds think alike or something. :givebeer:

It's past my bedtime...but these chainsaws can be intoxicating!

It is 6 hours past my bedtime, but great minds do think alike - the 346xp also is the king of the 50cc saw class, no doubt about that! :)

SOLD! 346xp it is. Going to the very loved wife for life.;) Very nice handling, great power (for it's class), no vibration, and easy starting. 18" bar is a good choice. Treated right will last many many years. My opinion is if you're going to be using wood has your main heat source buy a pro saw. You'll never be sorry. If the saw is going to sit 350 days a year buy a homeowner class. I too am very budget minded but I spent alittle more and bought once. Your husband shouldn't want another saw. Unless he starts to read this forum and aquires CAD:laugh:

Husky Pics

OK, going to attempt posting pictures of chainsaw thinking of replacing:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&...&th=130ddf689dd96f7e&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

this is a test

If you´re on a budget, and dosen´t just WANT a new saw, I would try to get the 55 runing. To me it´s basicly a pro saw, dressed up as a Farmer/rancher saw!
Other´s here may disagree!
My Dad has used a 50 and a 51 (nearly same saw) for + 20 years, for ALL his firewood, and he only heat with wood!
Never any issues, except for a little piece of wood clogging up the muffler once (think it was on his 50).
Last year I´ve bought an unused 55 from 2005, very nice saw, with good power.

Latest posts

Back