Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm seeing IPL's for it now....... Which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it may be getting closer. It still looks very Euro in the diagrams so there will probably still be changes made.

I don't see AutoTune on it. Walbro HD carb. With those adjustable screw thingies on the side? Not sure what those are for.

Overall I don't know what to think of it just looking at the IPL. Definitely not a typical Husky design.......

Well maybe it will make it over here. After messing with a dolmar 401 I kinda like the 40 cc size for trimming. My dad really likes that size to cut wood for the fire pit they set around in the evenings. It might be a good enough reason to get one if the price isn't outrageous.

Overall I don't know what to think of it just looking at the IPL. Definitely not a typical Husky design.......

I'm still not sure it isn't actually a Zenoah design, and there surely aren't any autotune on it (yet?).

price?

Does anyone have a guess as to the price?

The 543xp has about the same hp as the Dolmar 421, but at 9.9 lbs the Husky is a fair bit lighter. On the other hand the Dolmar is really inexpensive, which is a large part of its appeal.

I'm still not sure it isn't actually a Zenoah design, and there surely aren't any autotune on it (yet?).

It's not entirely impossible but I see a lot of different things in there from a lot of different brands.... Without having one in my hands it's tough to tell for sure.

I'd bet they'll price them at $449 for xp, $499 for xpg, given the current MSRP for the 550 family.

They will probably find, again, that the US market doesn't really understand this market niche, just as it failed to appreciate the 238/242 before, largely because we insist on hanging too long a bar on a saw (16-18" versus 13" as it should have) and then complain when it doesn't pull like a bigger saw. Maybe, just maybe, they will market these saws right this time around, because small cc doesn't have to equal low-end equipment.

Just stumbled on the IPL's myself today. Went into the EPC program and clicked on a bunch of part numbers, and then clicked on "where used" to see if i could find the smoking gun connection to Red Max. There is a connection, but extremely limited. The only parts I found to be in common were some mounts that were shared with the GZ4500/5000. The clutch is also shared with the GZ5000, but that's really all that I could find. (I didn't click on every part).

All of the interesting stuff is specific to the 543 XP/XPG. Top end, crank, muffler, oil pump, all intake stuff, on and on. So my conclusion is that they started with the basic Red Max chassis and then built an otherwise completely unique saw in the 543. One thing I was disappointed to see was what appeared to be the extra starter spring that is found on all of the easy start models. Perhaps the thinking is easier starting up in a tree/bucket?

Computeruser: In this area the 242XP was actually a very popular saw, BUT........it didn't have to compete with something like the 550XP. (or the 346XP, which was pretty much intended as the 242 replacement). The next step up the pro ladder was the 254XP, which is kind of a half size bigger than a 346, so there was plenty enough space between the 242 and 254 that they had different buyers. IMO the 550 is just a real sweet saw that will be close to the 543 in weight, but way ahead of it in power. I'll bet the 545 will outcut the 543 and be cheaper to buy.

..... IMO the 550 is just a real sweet saw that will be close to the 543 in weight, but way ahead of it in power. I'll bet the 545 will outcut the 543 and be cheaper to buy.

Exactly what I have stated "a zillion" times is my "problem" with the current breed of 42/43cc saws in general, but at least the Husky is the lightest of them! :msp_wink:

The price of the 543xp is listed as about 14% lower than the price for the 550xp here, but I haven't actually seen one of them yet (haven't visited a dealer in a while though).

Well maybe it will make it over here.

Might not be too far off. Latest hopeful prediction is June-July, but I'd place little to zero faith in that. :msp_biggrin: I'd be no more optomistic than having them get here this fall.

Exactly what I have stated "a zillion" times is my "problem" with the current breed of 42/43cc saws in general, but at least the Husky is the lightest of them! :msp_wink:

The Husky is the lightest if you exclude the Japanese alternatives:

Husky 543xp: 9.9 lbs
Redmax GZ4500: 9.6 lbs
Tanaka ECV-4501: 8.8 lbs

I have excluded clamshell designs. All of these saws have vertically split magnesium crankcases. Now to be fair the Husky has 2.2 kW (or about 3 horsepower), which is more than any of the Japanese alternatives. The power is the same as the Dolmar PS-421, which weighs more. So perhaps it would be better to say "at least the Husky has the best power-to-weight ratio", or that "the Husky is the lightest of the saws with 3hp or more".

Doug

Last edited:
The Husky is the lightest if you exclude the Japanese alternatives:

I was only comparing the PS-420/421, MS241 and the 543xp - which are those that belong to the "new breed" I referred to. :msp_smile:

The Redmax and the Tanaka are rated at halv an hp less, and I don't know how they are built...

Last edited:
One thing I was disappointed to see was what appeared to be the extra starter spring that is found on all of the easy start models. Perhaps the thinking is easier starting up in a tree/bucket?

Computeruser: In this area the 242XP was actually a very popular saw, BUT........it didn't have to compete with something like the 550XP. (or the 346XP, which was pretty much intended as the 242 replacement). The next step up the pro ladder was the 254XP, which is kind of a half size bigger than a 346, so there was plenty enough space between the 242 and 254 that they had different buyers. IMO the 550 is just a real sweet saw that will be close to the 543 in weight, but way ahead of it in power. I'll bet the 545 will outcut the 543 and be cheaper to buy.

I'm still hopeful, but the easy start spring you detected does not please me in the least. I'll still probably buy a 543xpg once one shows up in your shop, but I do wish they would just build it without gimmicks, and with auto tune.

I'm still hopeful, but the easy start spring you detected does not please me in the least. I'll still probably buy a 543xpg once one shows up in your shop, but I do wish they would just build it without gimmicks, and with auto tune.

I will not buy it, but otherwise I agree! :msp_wink:

In this area the 242 and 254 never really showed up, and actually have never encountered either at the shop or out and about. Still trying to confirm the rumour of some NIB 254's in the mother orange construction division warehouse/repair depot nearby.

Many a 257 and 61/262/266/268/2?? variants, mainly sporting east coast dawgs or none at all and 15-16" bars.

Seems most went with the one saw plan (55-70cc), with respect to Husqvarna, Jonsereds, Jonsered and them Stihls.

The 12 saw plans in all cc's 35-.......) includes many a Homie and Macs, lots of Pioneers, and a few Dolmars.

Completely fail to see the reasoning for the 543, being alongside the 545/550.

Then again if the 543 is 5lb with a chain speed of 300m/s it might find some room in my saw stable.

Latest posts

Back