Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Completely fail to see the reasoning for the 543, being alongside the 545/550.

I assume the reason mainly is the MS241, and the attitude of some saw users, mainly in Scandinavia and Northern Europe? Also remember the 242xp, in that context - and maybe others....

I assume the reason mainly is the MS241, and the attitude of some saw users, mainly in Scandinavia and Northern Europe? Also remember the 242xp, in that context - and maybe others....

Competition is part of it; neither company will leave the other a market segment all to it's own. It seems to make more sense for Stihl than for Husky, since they went in a slightly different direction with the MS261. That saw did gain a little weight over the 260, so maybe they felt the need for a smaller saw. Husky went the other way and the 550 is even more nimble than the 346 was, so you'd think there'd be less of a need for a smaller saw. I have a couple of 242's, and they are great little saws, but it's hard to think of an application when they are a clear choice over a 346, let alone a 550. Maybe when doing a lot of limbing and there's plenty of reaching to do? Now keep in mind, I don't do bucket/climbing work.

But.............lot's of guys do and there is another factor in play here. Some of the big tree companies are no longer allowing top handle saws, or more specifically, one handed saw operation. Some guys from one of the larger companies were in this week and they say that using a saw with one hand is grounds for getting fired. So, if you eliminate the top handle saws from this environment, then the niche for the 543XP/MS241 gets a lot bigger. And this is where I think Husky and Stihl have their sights set wth these new saws.

The 543XP will be a cool saw, but I wonder how many people who say they want one have actually spent some time with a 550XP. :msp_wink:

But.............lot's of guys do and there is another factor in play here. Some of the big tree companies are no longer allowing top handle saws, or more specifically, one handed saw operation. Some guys from one of the larger companies were in this week and they say that using a saw with one hand is grounds for getting fired. So, if you eliminate the top handle saws from this environment, then the niche for the 543XP/MS241 gets a lot bigger. And this is where I think Husky and Stihl have their sights set wth these new saws.

I tried like a toothless beaver to get some 339XP, as top handle saws are a no-no for all utility companies here. I support a forestry and line group and every saw is Husqvarna except for the Stihl MS200/201 (all there older Sthil's have finally died). Mother orange decided to not make them widely available in this regional market, and are now NLA in Canada, maybe they were as usefull as a bag of hammers, who knows. There is a niche market for something like the 543, but it will be for specialized use, and will take some real people to get them into the hands of the users to convert them, and it will have to be beyond good.

Competition is part of it; neither company will leave the other a market segment all to it's own. It seems to make more sense for Stihl than for Husky, since they went in a slightly different direction with the MS261. That saw did gain a little weight over the 260, so maybe they felt the need for a smaller saw. Husky went the other way and the 550 is even more nimble than the 346 was, so you'd think there'd be less of a need for a smaller saw. I have a couple of 242's, and they are great little saws, but it's hard to think of an application when they are a clear choice over a 346, let alone a 550. Maybe when doing a lot of limbing and there's plenty of reaching to do? Now keep in mind, I don't do bucket/climbing work.

The 543XP will be a cool saw, but I wonder how many people who say they want one have actually spent some time with a 550XP. :msp_wink:

All that makes sense! :agree2:

In this area the 242 and 254 never really showed up, and actually have never encountered either at the shop or out and about. Still trying to confirm the rumour of some NIB 254's in the mother orange construction division warehouse/repair depot nearby.

Many a 257 and 61/262/266/268/2?? variants, mainly sporting east coast dawgs or none at all and 15-16" bars.

Seems most went with the one saw plan (55-70cc), with respect to Husqvarna, Jonsereds, Jonsered and them Stihls.

The 12 saw plans in all cc's 35-.......) includes many a Homie and Macs, lots of Pioneers, and a few Dolmars.

Completely fail to see the reasoning for the 543, being alongside the 545/550.

Then again if the 543 is 5lb with a chain speed of 300m/s it might find some room in my saw stable.

242 was a minor player here, but had a loyal following. Survey crews loved them and are still running them.
254 was Huskys best seller here. Used are selling in the $400 range. A NIB would bring $$$$.
I could see a 543 in my future.

242 was a minor player here, but had a loyal following. Survey crews loved them and are still running them.
254 was Huskys best seller here. Used are selling in the $400 range. A NIB would bring $$$$.
I could see a 543 in my future.

I always find it interesting how different models can be hugely popular in some areas, and a zero in others. A saw could be hot as hell in one region, but practically ignored somewhere else. And then you wonder, "What's the matter with those guys, don't they get it?"

Guess my 254's are worth big bucks up your way. :)

yeah but Art your not quite normal!

All I see in my future tonight is a box of beer!

Following the wood industry and market in this area leads to the saws that were popular, and at the time a 40cc saw screaming at 15k+ rpm held little to no value as the tops of the EWP were not culled, and pulpwood was just a simple by product of the logging process.

When they come out I will be trying it out for sure, and formulate a true opinion, comparing it with the others in the family. Those in the family for choice I have picked thus far are the 445, 346oe, 353 (cat and non-cat oem versions),545. The 550 is already a non-competitor apart for a true weight comparison for giggles.

I really like my 545 with the 16" X .050 X 3/8" RSC X 60DL X 7 pin rim Power Match bar.

We had a 550, the 545, a 346, 5020 and a 353 out last week and that was a fine gaggle of Huskies. Cutting up a storm.

Only thing is, the average "Joe Home owner" firewood guy would unlikely own any of these except maybe the 5020?

Joe will keep on using his Wild Thing.

339XP was the only model I NEVER sold. Not a single one. The only one I've ever seen is one that J.Walker has. It's really nice for doing small stuff.

I just needed a small non top handle xp saw for Hydro One (aka equivalent to state utility co.) The 346 and 372/394/395/3120 are all ready in use at the time, now the 550 and 562 also, but nothing fit the MS200 category.

The T540 will be useless here, as is the 338 and T435, only homeowners or uninsured tree monkeys can really use them. A market missed perhaps, albeight a small segment.

Never could have sold a 450 up here, but now that the price has dropped over a hundred bucks I might be able to. Since the 400 series came out I have never sold a 440,450 or 460. Mainly due to price disparity, sister saws for less (435/440 etc..) and the tool-less chain adjuster.
Pro non XP 300 series saws sold near 70:1 to the xp versions, due to price disparity, and strangely enough the 570 outsold the 365/372 for a couple of years to some local logging companies, primarily due to initial cost but supported by fuel consumption, thankfully now they are running 576's.

Till we get one in our hands a 543 and a 550 both sporting 13-15" techlite bars in NK or 3/8 low pro, the difference will just be round the next tree.

I always find it interesting how different models can be hugely popular in some areas, and a zero in others. A saw could be hot as hell in one region, but practically ignored somewhere else. And then you wonder, "What's the matter with those guys, don't they get it?"

Guess my 254's are worth big bucks up your way. :)

You'll never see a 254/257/543/545/550/555/562 in Suriname, but there's an 070 with a 42" bar on every door step.

yeah but Art your not quite normal!

Thanks, glad someone understands me.

The popularity saws has more to do with the wood being cut. When we still had 2' diameter trees the 266 was king. Wood became smaller and 254 was the best seller. 346/353 replaced them. I cut pulp and logs ( average size of a telephone pole ) for years with 242/246 or 026. When the 365 came out crews jumped all over them but after a few months traded for small saws again.

Best sellers at the Stihl dealership I work for now are 170, 230 for the homeowner and 261 for pros. First company here with a 40cc pro sells a bundle.

you guys are doing a good job of talking me out of one :)

The niche as I see it is that this saw would fill the role of the rear handle top handles like ms200/339xp. That's why I would want one, for the situations where I need small, light, zippy saw to use in tight places, but would prefer a rear handle design. I would get a lot of clearing work done with a 200T and 543xp. But no autotune or revboost makes it a lame duck. I would want those new features in order to sway me to replace a saw I'm already using for this role.

I wonder what the logic is in NOT including revboost (whatever that is) and autotune. Setting it up for an upgrade in a year or two post-release, maybe? Silly, if your other -xp saws already have it to NOT include it on the release of a new model that is attempting to create a niche that presently doesn't exist in the -xp lineup.

Ugh, all this negative talk is making me wonder if I'd be better off hunting down another 238/242 or something...

Doesn't look too impressive, no crank stuffers, no autotune, vertical cylinder with transfers on the side, heated handle appears to only be the rear handle? The choke and off switch are separate, it's more expensive than a 555, and even with the smaller engine only runs .325 as opposed to small 3/8
Max rpm only 14.5k rpm? The 242xp was 15.5k rpm ALL those years ago

I wonder what the logic is in NOT including revboost (whatever that is) and autotune. Setting it up for an upgrade in a year or two post-release, maybe? Silly, if your other -xp saws already have it to NOT include it on the release of a new model that is attempting to create a niche that presently doesn't exist in the -xp lineup.

Ugh, all this negative talk is making me wonder if I'd be better off hunting down another 238/242 or something...

revboost is a short term WHAMMO the sucker spools up like crazy. Only lasts a short time. think limbing and no lag between cuts.

the smart guys here will tell ya how it actually works, I just know the theory.

Latest posts

Back