Husqvarna 55 upgrade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evin

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here so let me know if I am not clear. I have a 2000 Husqvarna 55 that indicates it is 51 cc's on the chainsaw so I am thinking that it is the 45 mm piston type to my chagrin. I have found out that it has a scored cylinder and I would like to get it up and running again although I just bought a Husky 359. I bought a used cylinder and 46 mm piston assembly on ebay and now I'm not sure if I can put the piston and cylinder assebly on the old bottom. Can anyone provide me assistance?

Thanks,

Evin

Husky 55

Evan, Just make sure that the arrow on the piston is pointing to the exhaust side of the cylinder. Yes this does matter. I had the same situation on my 55. I cleaned the cylinder and piston put in a new ring and the saw now runs very well. I used to live in Rancho Cordova. Does this ring a bell? Ken

Husky 55

Thanks for all the information. I use to live in Rancho Cordova and graduated from Cordova High 1984.... Go Lancers.... Anyway, I have not received my used piston and cylinder assembly yet, but the guy said that they were in great condition. I know that I should change the piston ring, but should I buy a new GB piston (or what brand piston?) for $30 or go with the piston that is used but in good condition. Also, I have been told that I do not need use a torque tool, but to tighten with my hands would be fine? Is this correct and if not what tool should I use/get that would torque down the bolts? Also, as I do not have any compression or leak testing equipment what/where should I get these or should I just take it to my local shop and have them test it before firing it up?

Thanks,

Evin

make sure you use a new gasket and try and snug them all close.

i like the all metal t handle allen wrenches that bend when you get tight.if the piston and cylinder are in good shape,i'd keep running the ring it comes with.put a replaceable tip solid 18" husky bar with a stihl RSC chain and run stihl or husky oil with 93 octane gas and you'll fall in love with the 55 rancher all over again.

i have always run 93 in my two strokes.

from snowmobiles to saws blowers.they just seem to last longer and stay cleaner inside.maybe i'm crazy but for a few more cents i don't mind.

That is right it will bolt right on. I don't know that this will turn your 55 into a hotrod it may have more displacement but there are other factors that come into play. I say while you have it apart get off you wallet take five dollars and you will have it done right and not have to fool with it, you have to go get a new base gasket anyway. Also when tightening your bolts I'd recommend to tighten the bolts in stages, get one bolt so it touches and then put a little more torque on the one diagonally across from it. then go to the bolt either to the right or left and then the one diagonally across from this. keep working the pattern until you have them all good and snug.

good luck don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Buck

???

Hi,

I'm not sure what you are talking about when you stated take $5 from my wallet and do what with it? I'm willing to spend a few dollars as long as my wife gives me the ok :greenchainsaw:

Thanks

Back