Husqvarna 550xp Disassembly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super029D

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I admit I am usually a Stihl guy but ran into a great deal on a Husky 550xp that I couldn't pass up. Now getting ready to strip it down and build it back up. I've googled for useful videos but so far haven't found anything useful. Anything would be helpful, thanks!

Ahhhh I've done many what would you like to know?
There a fantastic little saw and with a couple of little mods run very strong!

Ahhhh I've done many what would you like to know?
There a fantastic little saw and with a couple of little mods run very strong!
Thanks so much Dave! Well I've taken the handle off, heated, that was interesting. Now trying to get the carb out, I'm kinda stuck there, very different than anything I've worked with so far, older stihl and huskys. Carb.JPG

One of the biggest performance upgrades to do on your little 550 is a simple muffler mod, look up a good thread on this site and follow that,
It's good for at least 10-15% power increase and better throttle response

Here is a tip though, unlike a lot of saws leave the carb and intake attached to the jug when removing the jug from the saw
Then remove it all on the bench
Thank you very much for this, I was wondering if that was possible, but didn't want to break anything as I started pulling it apart.

Especially if your already pulling the cylinder
That may be true. My comment was only for those looking to just remove the carb.
Yes sorry i see your point, the carb is actually quite easy to remove mostly but I once tried to remove the intake on one without removing the cylinder and they are extremely difficult

Ok guys, I admit I am usually a Stihl guy but ran into a great deal on a Husky 550xp that I couldn't pass up. Now getting ready to strip it down and build it back up. I've googled for useful videos but so far haven't found anything useful. Anything would be helpful, thanks!
Be also very careful not to loose the little orings that go in between the plastic air filter mount and the carb
They can drop out or be easily blown out with compressed air if not carefull

Thanks for all the help guys, I have the cylinder and carb off the saw. The cylinder has minimal scoring, the ring is frozen, but the piston has minimal scoring as we.. Currently soaking the piston in carbon solvent. I think once I get the carbon out of the ring race the piston ring will free up. I plan on replacing the old ring and putting her back together.

Finally, got the 550xp going last night. What a great runner. Now to put a file to the chain and put her into some wood. Thank you all for your help getting this (new to me) saw up and running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back