husqvarna 576xp starting issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey all--

I was cutting with the 576xp today. This is the third time I've really used it to work a large tree.

I was cutting some 20-24" oak. Today was particularly hot here (85+F), at least, this has been one of OUR hotter days). I had my tach with me as I was interested in checking out the rpms during the continued break-in. I was running full throttle no load 13,100 and idle was around 2400-2500.

Anyways, once I got into the base of the log (30+", working from both sides with 20" bar) the saw cut out once I let it idle after a long cut. I explained this to myself as being the "rich come down effect" as I've heard it referred to by stihl and kept going. It did it once or twice more. One or two pulls, restart, no big deal. I figured I would raise the L a bit when I got home.

Anyways, I had the saw idling on some grass when it idled out of fuel. Went to go get more from the can. (Shell 93 with echo powerblend mixed about 47:1, mixed no more than 10 days ago, running just fine in other equipment). Came back and saw would not start. Good compression, definitely not siezed. But would not start. Grabbed the dolmar, finished cutting, and got ready to head home. Tried a few more times to start. Figured I flooded it. Got in the car and drove away.

Got home, took out the plug, turned over cylinder. Cylinder looks fine. Figured maybe, just maybe it somehow turned out to be a bad plug. Went and got another plug. No luck. Also, decomp is pressed in. It will not go back out, unless engine fires (at least this is my understanding). Could the decomp be jammed in or something to that effect???

Is there anything else I can/should look at/do before I go to the dealer? Dealer situation in itself is a bit difficult as I'm 4 hours away from where I got the saw.

Dumb question comin' your way... cuz it sounds to me like you know what you're doin'... but... are you chokin' the saw everytime you try to start it? Hot or cold?

Gary

That is correct the button will pop when it fires. Can you choke it and see where the plug is getting wet, if so fuel is not a problem. Next check is spark, easy way to see is pull plug and put plug wire back on it and find a good ground on the saw and pull the crank rope over and look for a small blue spark. If thats all good, take it back to the dealer, if you got a good one! Good luck. I am sure some more will chime in here.

I have not been choking it hot or cold. After I set it down for a while I may have choked it after it had been down for like 10 minutes or so (I stopped for water/snack), and so that's when I worry that I flooded it.

To andosca, it has no primer bulb, or at least none that I know about.

Sorry I'm not so quick to post back, I have cooking duties tonight as well.

If I flooded it really badly, what's the remedy? Sitting with the plug out?

Anything is possible. My friend purchased a new Husky 450. He ran 1 tank of mix through it, and it would not start. Brought it back to the dealer, and it was a split fuel line!

I would take it back to the dealer. You paid good $ for that saw. Maybe you can take it to a closer dealer.

i was thinking vapor lock. maybe if you put a prime in it and get it to fire it will start sucking fuel? you do have spark?

to cure flooding, remove plug and pull over a times to clear cylinder. Dry off or replace plug if you have a spare, reinstall, lock throttle if it has a lock and just start it. It may take 5-10 pulls to get started but it'll smoke bad but it will clear itself.

Took off air filter and looked at plug again. Seems perhaps a bit gassier than it it should be.

Unfortunately, if I get the saw popping where I am currently, at this hour, the neighbors, their kids, and maybe even the cops will be over quite quickly.

I'm going to let everything air out overnight and then hopefully things work tomorrow without much more effort.

Spark seems good.

If this was simply a flooding, this was one hell of a flood. Most equipment I've flooded started with a bit of a fuss, but nothing like this.

If worst comes to worst I'm in Spike60's extended backyard.

i keep them fuel lines in my toolbox.

you are running a little rich on the mix.the stratos really don't like that and are quite sensitive to it.i have seen the decomp valves get full of carbon and stick.

i'm kinda far but if you get down near Hartford bring it with you.i'll give it a look.

to cure flooding, remove plug and pull over a times to clear cylinder. Dry off or replace plug if you have a spare, reinstall, lock throttle if it has a lock and just start it. It may take 5-10 pulls to get started but it'll smoke bad but it will clear itself.

Took off air filter and looked at plug again. Seems perhaps a bit gassier than it it should be.

Unfortunately, if I get the saw popping where I am currently, at this hour, the neighbors, their kids, and maybe even the cops will be over quite quickly.

I'm going to let everything air out overnight and then hopefully things work tomorrow without much more effort.

Spark seems good.

If this was simply a flooding, this was one hell of a flood. Most equipment I've flooded started with a bit of a fuss, but nothing like this.

If worst comes to worst I'm in Spike60's extended backyard.

Follow the steps above... to start a flooded saw. :)

Gary

Mike, is this the Auto-Tune or the regular 576?

My 576AT idled kind of low for about the first half tank, and actually stalled twice because of that. But since then it has been perfect and just keeps getting better.

My guess is that you flooded it if you choked it after just 10 minutes. After that short period of time, the saw was still warm and should not have needed to be choked.

This is the regular, not the AT.

I attempted to start it this morning. After quite a few pulls (no choke) it sounded just ready to start and then bogged down again. More pulls (no choke again) and nothing...

Again, I've had saws flood before but nothing like this.

I know it has the double throat carb, and noticed that at no throttle the lower opening is closed...should I attempt to start while depressing the throttle switch?

Latest posts

Back