Husqvarna Cordless?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My saws are also all cordless, but not electric. :hmm3grin2orange:

I can imagine some work that they can make sence for, mostly indoors - but none of it is out in the woods, due to the short endurance of the battery......

My guess is that they just felt hat they had to offer something in that category, because other brands is doing it! :msp_unsure:

----you'd be surprised my friend. I can get a decent load of smaller stuff going out in the woods with mine. Done it, proved it, it is on my review thread with pics. I have three batteries to use as well, and a tank of bar oil lasts all three.

And looking at a lot of vids of firewooding in europe, and also splitting vids showing similar smaller diameter and a lot of small conifers and small deciduous, inside those planned forests, and not wasting anything, I would think it could work for a lot of guys as the small saw on a multi saw plan.

I use mine all the time, going to use it this afternoon when I go out. Ya, I will use larger gas saws, but I *am* going to be using the batt saw as well.

I haven't tried the other ones yet, but the Oregon has crossed the threshold into "useful tool" status as regards battery operated saws, similar to when battery operated drills finally crossed a threshold. I know I was an early adopter of battery powered drills and they were hella expensive compared to plug ins, but I saw the potential, how cool it was, and got the benefits of using them on the job, making money with them, and now they are so common practically everyone who uses tools has one. And they are a lot better today..because electric tech and especially battery tech keeps improving. but it *won't* if people are narrow minded and can't see the possibilities.

And multi tool systems using the same battery really open up the practicality of such devices.

I was an early adopter of home personal computers, and sure, compared to today they are underpowered and were pretty expensive back then, but tell ya what, they hit a plateau finally and got wayyy practical and affordable, but it never would have happened without the early adopters. We are here now having the most amazing communications tool ever developed, because of early adopters, despite a lot of their peers at the time kvetching and moaning about this or that.

Besides, the real old manly way to do firewood was a cross cut and double bit axe, and if anyone wants to be he-man macho about it and put down new tech, then don't use any sort of chainsaw, not even an ancient old heavy one. Great grandpa would have called ya a wuss for not being able to do a normal day's work without using some stinky loud gas burning cheater tool. ;)

Ha!

Well, the purpose of this thread wasn't to advocate or bash battery powered saws - just to try and track the development of a new line of Husqvarna models which seem to be slightly shy about revealing themselves in the marketplace.

I have 2-cycle, electric, and battery powered saws. They each have their place where they excel, and where they have limitations. I am sure that the same thing could be said for hydraulic, pneumatic, diesel, and any other power source chain saw (shaft drive? propane?).

If anyone hears or sees anything more about these Husqvarna models in the coming year (maybe more likely in Europe than USA), please post and let us know.

Thanks.

Philbert

Well, the purpose of this thread wasn't to advocate or bash battery powered saws - just to try and track the development of a new line of Husqvarna models which seem to be slightly shy about revealing themselves in the marketplace.

I have 2-cycle, electric, and battery powered saws. They each have their place where they excel, and where they have limitations. I am sure that the same thing could be said for hydraulic, pneumatic, diesel, and any other power source chain saw (shaft drive? propane?).

If anyone hears or sees anything more about these Husqvarna models in the coming year (maybe more likely in Europe than USA), please post and let us know.

Thanks.

Philbert

Petrol vs. electric definitely have their different niches--just like all tools have different niches. After all, I wouldn't give up my jobsite table saw just because I have a bunch of hand-held circular saws (including a makita 15-amp 16"). On the other hand, I wouldn't mind being able to run that 16" circular saw with a 60-75cc petrol engine.

My toolbox has room for all tools that fill a particular niche better than anything else. :msp_smile:

Being up a tree and tied in is not where I want to deal with petrol-saw issues. I don't have to cut very much in terms of square-feet of cut, but I want it to turn on when I pull the trigger and turn off when I let it off again. Low noise and no fumes would be welcome improvements an environment already teeming with things to worry about.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Philbert

HUSQVARNA T536 Li XP® - Professional chainsaws

The Husqvarna T536 LiXP just hit the market in Holland this week. I didn't have a chance to give it a go but a collegue of mine did. On this first video, petrol versus battery power.

[video=youtube;yKHysNHu39A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHysNHu39A[/video]

This second video just shows the guys incompetence, cutting a big log in this way. :bang:

[video=youtube;CBr3gc9rzDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=CBr3gc9rzDI[/video]

Not a fair test. Bar on the gas saw was inverted!

(Battery saw looks impressive though. Not having to pull a cord when hanging in a tree will be attractive to some arborists. Compact size will appeal to people who want a trail saw, or a 'stash behind the seat' saw. Husqvarna name will also sway some people who don't think that they are 'real' saws).

Thanks for posting.

Philbert

Not a fair test. Bar on the gas saw was inverted!

(Battery saw looks impressive though. Not having to pull a cord when hanging in a tree will be attractive to some arborists. Compact size will appeal to people who want a trail saw, or a 'stash behind the seat' saw. Husqvarna name will also sway some people who don't think that they are 'real' saws).

Thanks for posting.

Philbert

I bet you are thinking what I am thinking, want to get your hands on one and try it out against the oregon saw in the same wood...

Husqvarna T536 LiXP

The retailprice in Holland is included the 21% VAT €885,00. The saw comes with two battery's an charger.

I have used all four cordless battery saws by now.
Dolmar: 8.3 Meter per second chain speed 2.6 Ah battery. Tophandle, slow but lots of torque. Quick charge
Stihl: 12m/s Chain speed 2.2 or 4.5 Ah. battery. Nice narrow bar and chain. Backhandle, Quick charge.
Oregon: 14m/s Chain speed 1.25 or 2.4 Ah battery. Amazing cutting speed due to the Powersharp chain. Backhandle. Slow charge.
Husqvarna: Choice between 14 and 20m/s chain speed. 3.0Ah battery. Speedy well balanced saw. Available as both top- and backhandle. Quick charge.

Cutting speed contest
1 Husqvarna
2 Oregon
3 Stihl
4 Dolmar

There is a fifth battery powered saw on the market but that one is not cordless. It's the Pellenc. That saw uses a battery pack that is carried as a back pack.

found this

The retailprice in Holland is included the 21% VAT €885,00. The saw comes with two battery's an charger.

I have used all four cordless battery saws by now.
Dolmar: 8.3 Meter per second chain speed 2.6 Ah battery. Tophandle, slow but lots of torque. Quick charge
Stihl: 12m/s Chain speed 2.2 or 4.5 Ah. battery. Nice narrow bar and chain. Backhandle, Quick charge.
Oregon: 14m/s Chain speed 1.25 or 2.4 Ah battery. Amazing cutting speed due to the Powersharp chain. Backhandle. Slow charge.
Husqvarna: Choice between 14 and 20m/s chain speed. 3.0Ah battery. Speedy well balanced saw. Available as both top- and backhandle. Quick charge.

Cutting speed contest
1 Husqvarna
2 Oregon
3 Stihl
4 Dolmar

There is a fifth battery powered saw on the market but that one is not cordless. It's the Pellenc. That saw uses a battery pack that is carried as a back pack.

video of that pellenc saw

Pellenc Selion- Battery Powered Chain Saw - YouTube

Quite interesting (primarily) one handed design, shaped like a one handed chainsaw should be, like a very large handgun or drill. I imagine the backpack battery has a very long run time.

I like that pellenc stuff, its a smart design, and it really has a niche with the pros. I don't know who would pay $1000 for a saw that they're going to use a few times a year for a few minutes? :) One of the few reasons that would make sense is maybe mafia, if you want to chop up somebody inside and not make much noise. :msp_w00t:

About people that need things to work them few times they take it out of the garage... Sure for the first 5 years maybe, after that the batteries will start to cause problems. Quality batteries last for a while, but i wouldn't count on any battery to work for 10 years. And my guess is that the battery probably costs about 1/3 of the total price...

It has its places, but not many. Chainsaws require too much energy for batteries to make sense 99% of the time.

I just came up with another good use for it tho. Clean the saw up real nice with alcohol. Make sure you use a new chain, degrease it in alcohol. Put some olive oil in for lube. Cut your food like a boss!

I think it should be possible to noodle meat if one would cut it along the fibers... :)

Back