Husqvarna Cordless?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The market I service is a town where most equipment is dropped off wearing dress shoes. Every development in this town is your typical 3500sq.ft. colonial with 2-3 car garage. Installed lawns and ornamental plants the owners can't even name. Obviously not everyone fits that profile, but it is very predominant. These are also the people that want to spend the least amount possible on something. Getting them to spend a hundred bucks to tune up their riding mower is a challenge at the least, getting them to spend over seven hundred bucks on a tool they rarely use - not happening --- around here. Every market is different, I understand. This local market won't be supporting battery powered equipment anytime soon, unless it's a drill or toy.
Yeah - but they might just be the market that pushes the gardener/landscaper into buying one because it doesn't disrupt their carefully constructed perfect existence quite as much.

Yeah - but they might just be the market that pushes the gardener/landscaper into buying one because it doesn't disrupt their carefully constructed perfect existence quite as much.

Maine is a *really* cold state in the US and is also heavily forested. Very long and important industry there logging/firewood for heat and land clearing from crops and livestock. As such, the culture there is plenty of big gas saws. I can understand the market there not being quite as good for battery powered tools.

Be that as it may, as the combo packages get more popular, you'll see the battery saws start to go into the mix of tools in suburban garages. I would guess the polesaw attachments for the combi units will be first to make serious inroads into the gas powered saw market. And the urban climbers next with battery saws, and the backyard branch cutters third.

These big companies know what they are doing, and not all tools will sell in all markets, but..they got them out there now, it is a good start. I am personally totally happy with my oregon battery saw and looking forward to the next generation with more power, better batteries, etc.

As I said before, my local husky wrench is buying a battery saw for his girlfriend, and he can get any sort of regular gas saw cheap, new husky or used whatever brand. He checked mine out plus the oregon rep stopped by there as well, and said something like that is perfect for the occasional user who might have difficulty with a regular gas saw and wants something that will reliably cut and start with no issues like old gas, etc, or for those who are physically limited on yank starting but still need to cut something once in awhile.

Just being instant on and quiet goes to help with the loud noise intimidation factor for light duty users.

I see a lot of battery-powered weed whips, hedge trimmers, lawnmowers, etc., moving off the shelves at Home Depot, Lowes, Menard's, Sears, etc.

And these aren't especially good ones. I think that people like the convenience, and are afraid of the cord, when switching from gas OPE.

As Zog suggests, when they are seen as a part if a 'system', people will want a compatible chainsaw, when they are ready for that, if they already own the batteries for their weed whip, etc.

That may be a different approach, then 'converting' a gas chainsaw user, but they will eventually meet in the middle.

Philbert

Back