Husqvarna question "288's"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teddy.Scout
T

Teddy.Scout

What is the difference between if any the 288xp and 288ap lite?
Not sure if they are different or just wording.

Also:
After really looking at the saw, it is a well built saw that is VERY user friendly!
Even more desirable is that besides 87cc of snot, removing the the hood, every thing is right there (wires, top end, carb, everything for easy excess.) This was mention from some one else and I really like that aspect. Any one else still using them with experience or thoughts?

husq2100

husq2100

Addicted to ArboristSite
the "normal" was available in both low and high top.....I believe it was dependant on the location...IE the PNW would get the high top and full wrap as standard as thats what the shops would order as that was what the cutters wanted...... since day one the high top/filter and filter-carb elbow have been available....when the lite came it is was sold only as a low top and it also did not have the large AV spring at the front of the saw that mounst to the case side dawg...

like most saws that ran through that era, the carbs have changed due to epa, they added a muffler gasket...low top has a few different filter options ie material, high top is one type of filter.....

Teddy.Scout
T

Teddy.Scout

the "normal" was available in both low and high top.....I believe it was dependant on the location...IE the PNW would get the high top and full wrap as standard as thats what the shops would order as that was what the cutters wanted...... since day one the high top/filter and filter-carb elbow have been available....when the lite came it is was sold only as a low top and it also did not have the large AV spring at the front of the saw that mounst to the case side dawg...

like most saws that ran through that era, the carbs have changed due to epa, they added a muffler gasket...low top has a few different filter options ie material, high top is one type of filter.....

Any one know off hand the preferred carb?
Appreciate the input guys!
Full wraps seem to be the difficult thing to find.
Been able to locate everything else.
Plan on using it for a firewood saw.

NORMZILLA44

NORMZILLA44

Addicted to ArboristSite
What's up Teddy.scout been awhile. The 288xp is one of my all time favorite's. One of the best of the best. I think as far as saw's go. Man I want one, someday. The high top should be mandotory, at least for look's lol! But because of a heavier duty air filter I believe. Full wrap alway's a must for me. I don't have much experience with the 288 lite model. See them around mostly ebay. So did you get one?

Chris J.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Last edited:
cowroy

cowroy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Question, what piston and ring would you fellas buy for this saw? I got a meteor for a 266xp of mine but Episan is all I can find for the 288. Is this one good?

I just bought one on ebay and the seller lied like an SOB, but I think I can still make something out of it. It definitely my last ebay project buy. I will post some pics here soon.

rickyrooster

rickyrooster

ArboristSite Guru
The 288xp has the exposed front AV spring mount the lite uses the front rubber mounts like a 272xp style. the lite has a low top cover only and 1/2 wrap handle. Same basic saw with minor differences. The carb is a tillotson 228A B or C. I beleave the 228A has a govenor and is less desirable. Great saw. Rick

JimM

ArboristSite Guru
I got a 288 Lite awhile back. Looked bad, ran great. Simply awesome, to me anyway. I just got the high top and HD filter for it. Really like it.