Husqvarna question "288's"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 288 I ran at the GTG felt like it had more torque than a stock 385, although it probably had less horsepower. It seems the older versions of some saws just feel that way.

I'd take high end torque over low end torque any day, but that only works if the saw is large enough for the task.....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I donno, On the big saws I tend to like low end torque and on the mid to smaller saws I like the high end torque. When running a 60" bar I like the low rpm torque of a 090 to the high rpm torque of an 880.

What mistake? Anyway the 288xp was top shelf. Tried to down size to the 385, and I have heard alot of guy's say they wanted a little more stump power. Hence the 390xp, which is the comeback of the 288. A revised edition Im sure. But the 288 a great the same. Proved you don't want to subtract displacment. Im guessing the displacement of the 288, and 390 are the same.

The 288 I ran at the GTG felt like it had more torque than a stock 385, although it probably had less horsepower. It seems the older versions of some saws just feel that way.

that wasn't my 288 with the bluetop was it ? i think thats a pretty snorty saw.

I donno, On the big saws I tend to like low end torque and on the mid to smaller saws I like the high end torque. When running a 60" bar I like the low rpm torque of a 090 to the high rpm torque of an 880.

This is really simple - if you need low end torque, your saw is too small for the task at hand! :)

Full wraps seem to be the difficult thing to find.

A home shop fabricated full wrap handlebar is a good project well within the capabilities of the average gearhead. I've built 3 different ones, all with completely different methods, and all worked really well and were VERY rugged. I did NO welding for any of them. You could incorporate some welding if that ability is readily at hand to you (it wasn't for me), but its not necessary. If you take your time and do a nice job, it will look like a factory made part.

Jimbo

This is really simple - if you need low end torque, your saw is too small for the task at hand! :)

In the same tree -

High End Horse Power:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/njuHgek8R6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Low end torque:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/moMezjpp0TI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The times are very similar for the amount of wood cut since the Mac cut more of it. The mac is running 404 while my 372 was running a woods ground square skip. The 125 is also fighting a bit of a pinch, too.

Last edited:
I had a 385xp and loved it until I sold it and bought a pretty rough on the outside 288 that runs very very well. I wouldn't trade the 288 for anything else. What a girthy animal. All a I got on it is a 24" bar. Very Very pleased with it. I run it all the time cutting everything. What a fun saw to run. Just my 2 cents.

Nice, if I had 4 bill's, for a 288, I would do it. They surprise alot of people. A capable saw, a hot rod in deed!:msp_thumbup:

Yeah the 288 is a saw I would like to own. I ran stumpys with the d ring on it at the gtg. I might have to find me a good one to mess with sometime.

Let me pass on a little wisdom to those who might buy a project. Buy a complete as you possibly can afford cause the little parts missing end up costing a fortune. I will have quite a bit more money in mine when I get it built and hope I can just brake even when it's all said and done. I may be a little more particular than others though.

I am not trying to discourage anyone cause I can't wait to get it done, I just don't want anyone to have the headache that I have had. ;)

Latest posts

Back