Husqvarna question "288's"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could spoil you. Even a stock 288 is a beast! I have never ran a ported saw anyway. Mine have dual port muffler, and have kept me happy so far.:clap:

Question, what piston and ring would you fellas buy for this saw? I got a meteor for a 266xp of mine but Episan is all I can find for the 288. Is this one good?

I just bought one on ebay and the seller lied like an SOB, but I think I can still make something out of it. It definitely my last ebay project buy. I will post some pics here soon.

Lot's of threads about using an 066 piston in a 288.

Episan is a fine product.

A great saw that pulls good.

Also the Lite had a decomp on it, along with the missing giant front spring. But I think the later model 288s had decomps on them
I cant remember the number on the carb, but one had a govener inside it, easy fix with a pop can.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=125957&highlight=288+carb

Glad you mentioned the decomp... Many saws that have decomps don't really seem to need them. Not so with the 288. I can't tell you why on a technical level, but they added that decomp for a dang good reason on the 288. Can you say "hematoma?"

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy an older non-decomp model, because they still rock, but I AM saying that a decomp model is going to be easier on your body.

Mine has the Eliminator kit also. It's a bit like putting a hood intake on your muscle car... folks know somethin' is up!

Only ported 390s and 394s, kinda got spoiled.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BWqCJENWo68" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> .

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/o9AMqL6CJWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Andrethegiant70. I totalyy agree with the compression. My buddy has one I went to start it, the compression blew me away. WYK, nice saw! Cool video:clap:

Well i thought I could salvage the cylinder but after removing all the transfer it has some pretty good dug in spots. Its hard to see in the pics but it starts right below the exhaust port and goes all the way to the top of the cylinder.

And after all the talk of the high compression I think I would rather have the decomp cylinder anyway.
DSCF0829.jpg

I bought the saw for a fella for his huge 2 acre lot :msp_rolleyes: cause he smoked his 266xp using a 24" bar. He doesn't want to pay a whole lot and was looking at a 460 husky and I told him that he would be in the same boat if he put a 24" bar on that 460 and run it for long drawn out cuts like he did his 266. Right now he has a 48" white oak that is about 20' long that he needs to finish cutting up then he has several other 20" plus trees he wants to cut, so I thought this would be a good fixer upper for my experience and something he would have from now on. He probably burnt up his 266 using a dull chain or wrong mix, cause when I got it had used diesel motor oil in the bar and chain oil tank. So i am gonna explain to him the proper way to make a saw last.

So knowing all that would you just put a slug and ring in it and roll with it?

Teddy.Scout I hope this isn't a threadjack and if it is just let me know and I will start a new one.

I would get a Meteor piston and run it; I doubt you will notice the difference.
I have 2-288's, ones a FW, and a 281. I really like this saw. This past winter I actually used the 288's a much or more than the 7900's.
I don't find them too hard on the hands. Just remember to spin them past TDC and pull it like it owes you something.

I thought you might chime in :msp_thumbsup: I really appreciate the info guys. I also found that where the case is cracked it's no big deal cause it's not in the crank case itself just in the housing so I came up lucky there.

I look forward to gettin it back together, and I might not want to sell it then.

Cowroy i have a 281 that i got from a fellow AS member that pull's 195lbs of comp it's not too bad to start if you drop start it.I run a 24in B/C she does a real good job.

Mike

I'm quietly looking for a saw big enough to pull 28" in our wood, and a 288 is on the wishlist to keep the other 2 series saws at home in line. I missed out on one recently with carb issues i think and it already had a 28" set-up, my fault as i was too Scrooge McDuck with my auto-bid!

A burned-up 066 goes under the hammer today, but i just like Husky's and already have all the manuals etc. Bars are interchange-able with the 380 which it would replace too (no chain-break, fatter than Miss Piggy) which keeps inventory down for what is really a sport rather than an income where my situation is concerned.

Adam

I like the idea of the saw being easy to work on like a 1976 full size truck.
(ya know, were you can site on the inside fender with the hood half down and do all the maintenance with a pair of channel locks and 9/16 wrench while it is raining.)
But I bet the next 5-8 on ebay will bring a tad more then usual now! LOL!!!
I will get one, but will try to remain patient!!!!
Thanks guys!!

LOVE the video as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the idea of the saw being easy to work on like a 1976 full size truck.
(ya know, were you can site on the inside fender with the hood half down and do all the maintenance with a pair of channel locks and 9/16 wrench while it is raining.)
But I bet the next 5-8 on ebay will bring a tad more then usual now! LOL!!!
I will get one, but will try to remain patient!!!!
Thanks guys!!

LOVE the video as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exectly. :msp_confused:

I would get a Meteor piston and run it; I doubt you will notice the difference.
I have 2-288's, ones a FW, and a 281. I really like this saw. This past winter I actually used the 288's a much or more than the 7900's.
I don't find them too hard on the hands. Just remember to spin them past TDC and pull it like it owes you something.

I like that. :clap:

So knowing all that would you just put a slug and ring in it and roll with it?
Long as its a gouge and not raised. I say you will be ok. But if you run it, I think you will be looking for another rebuilder project. :)

I know 04ultra had a few 288s he was fond of. One with a 2piece head and a tuned pipe :drool:
I have 288s ...Need to finish building the other 2 and see what I have left. Ive run quite a few and most of them have finger ripping compression. Pops21 ported his and it drug a 36" full comp very nicely.

Andrethegiant70. I totalyy agree with the compression. My buddy has one I went to start it, the compression blew me away. WYK, nice saw! Cool video:clap:

Those saws belong to High Rev Saw Works and Mweba respectfully. They ARE nice. Mweba's saw(the second vid in the Elm) is pullin 197psi.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back