Husqvarna372xp or Stihlms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are running them stock I would pick the 460. Luckily for you, either pick is an excellent choice. I love the 372, modded, it will humble a 660, (but only if I build it), I know that sounds lofty but I am still the arrogant pr*ck I was when I joined this forum. Come visit anytime and put one in our log, it will open your eyes. Cheers guys, Simon.

I'm on my way!

Brad,I wish you had my 372 xp with the jug you ported,to compare it too.I dont think it would be far off that stihl if at all,it absolutely screams thru wood.

i like that 390.

FC,

The 395 is much heavier that the 395. 390 is an ounce or two more than the 385 and is a horse, especially when ported. My ported 390 seems to be close the my ported 660, and the 390 is still fresh.

As always, YMMV,

ole joat

i have never run one.i built a 385 last year and it was strong stock.real strong.i should have kept it but a guy i know made me an offer i couldn't refuse.he will not sell it back to me for the price of a new one.

i just bought a new 395.it was a tough choice over the 390 but i am familiar with the 395.i didn't want to wish i had bought the 395.the weight doesn't bother me.

but................

If I were I wouldn't bother with a 395, not much use for it, especially when a 660 is cheaper. Oh and displacement isn't everything, a well built 385 will beat a stock 395 no problem. :wave:

will a well built 385 keep up with a well built 395? see where this is going? it could just keep going.this is why i leave them stock.

guess i'll buy one then.

Yeah but a modded 385 would better to use all day and will put more wood on the ground than a stock 395. So there is a replacement for displacement.

i like the 395 better for long bars though.i bought it for stumping.gonna be hard to beat the 395 for that.

everybody always says the av on the 460 is bad..... ive never once noticed a problem with it. the filter setup does get dirty easy, but i keep it clean. happy to for the extra power over the 372.

My experience with the 460 (and several other stihl rubber mounted saws for that matter) is that the rubber mounts don't give vibration the way a hammerdrill or some other sort of impact item would, but they have a sort of consistent, smooth but present level of vibration that leads to discomfort minutes to hours after using the saw.

My experience with the 460 (and several other stihl rubber mounted saws for that matter) is that the rubber mounts don't give vibration the way a hammerdrill or some other sort of impact item would, but they have a sort of consistent, smooth but present level of vibration that leads to discomfort minutes to hours after using the saw.

I've never noticed anything like that. I guess I'm not that sensitive to the vibes.

Neat thread, especailly today. 460 or 372, I had that descision to make just a little while ago.

Ole buddy of mine swung by the house here with a ragged out 372 he wanted me to fix. Looking at it I noticed the crank housing was busted around the recoil starter. The recoil starter assmebly could be lifted off the saw because the crank housing was busted. I said no fix for that but another crankcase, old saw isn't worth it, he agreed.

I go I got a 372 like new but leaks alot of oil. He goes ohhhhhh. I pull Mr.Leaky out the shed and fired it up. Was getting hard to start but after my last adjustments it fired up and ran perfectly. He goes that saw is like new, I go yup, sure is. I warned him though it leaked oil like a huzzy. He goes so what, that old one leaked liked crazy too, how much. I go $600.00 and its yours. He goes I'll take it. So Mr.Leaky now has a new home. All the Stihls in the shed cheered and had a party knowing that Mr. Leaky wasn't oiling up their shelves anymore. Its good for Stihl guys like me to have a few Husky lovin friends....

Neat thread, especailly today. 460 or 372, I had that descision to make just a little while ago.

Ole buddy of mine swung by the house here with a ragged out 372 he wanted me to fix. Looking at it I noticed the crank housing was busted around the recoil starter. The recoil starter assmebly could be lifted off the saw because the crank housing was busted. I said no fix for that but another crankcase, old saw isn't worth it, he agreed.

I go I got a 372 like new but leaks alot of oil. He goes ohhhhhh. I pull Mr.Leaky out the shed and fired it up. Was getting hard to start but after my last adjustments it fired up and ran perfectly. He goes that saw is like new, I go yup, sure is. I warned him though it leaked oil like a huzzy. He goes so what, that old one leaked liked crazy too, how much. I go $600.00 and its yours. He goes I'll take it. So Mr.Leaky now has a new home. All the Stihls in the shed cheered and had a party knowing that Mr. Leaky wasn't oiling up their shelves anymore. Its good for Stihl guys like me to have a few Husky lovin friends....

Watcha doing with the old busted up 372?? I got a home for it, if he's interested in getting rid of it!

Did ya give your buddy diapers for his shoes?

Watcha doing with the old busted up 372?? I got a home for it, if he's interested in getting rid of it!

Did ya give your buddy diapers for his shoes?

No diapers included,LOL He said the old busted one leaked oil like hell too so he didn't care. He was happy with Mr.Leaky, I mean it didn't have a scratch on it, he thought it was brand new. Thats one of the perks for taking good care of your saws. If they look new they fetch a good penny even if they are a few years old. They can be new and all scratched up and not bring anything, looks matter.

He took the old one with him, I didn't want it around here. I told him use it for parts if nothing else. Thats the first saw I've ever seen where the housing busted at the recoil assembly. I think someone dropped that saw on a hard surface out of a tree. You could raise the recoil assembly away from the saw to the point the starter wouldn't catch. It wasn't worth fooling with.

I got 6 bills in my pocket, I'm happy, he was happy so everyone is happy. I only lost about a 100 bucks all toll, it had the fancy GB bar on it and Stihl chain. I think Mr.Leaky served me well. I miss that saw already, what brand was it again scratching my head,LOLOL

No diapers included,LOL He said the old busted one leaked oil like hell too so he didn't care. He was happy with Mr.Leaky, I mean it didn't have a scratch on it, he thought it was brand new. Thats one of the perks for taking good care of your saws. If they look new they fetch a good penny even if they are a few years old. They can be new and all scratched up and not bring anything, looks matter.

He took the old one with him, I didn't want it around here. I told him use it for parts if nothing else. Thats the first saw I've ever seen where the housing busted at the recoil assembly. I think someone dropped that saw on a hard surface out of a tree. You could raise the recoil assembly away from the saw to the point the starter wouldn't catch. It wasn't worth fooling with.

I got 6 bills in my pocket, I'm happy, he was happy so everyone is happy. I only lost about a 100 bucks all toll, it had the fancy GB bar on it and Stihl chain. I think Mr.Leaky served me well. I miss that saw already, what brand was it again scratching my head,LOLOL

Sounds good. That old busted up saw would be an easy fix though. I'd just find a case on ebay. Its an easy saw to work on.

Tommie,

I hope you have a duly exectuted bill of sale with the date and time of the transaction noted. I hear the EPA is cracking down on oil spills and .... well ... ya know that Mr. Leaky spilled its innards all the way home. When they trace the leak source, have that bill of sale ready.

ole joat

Tommie,

I hope you have a duly exectuted bill of sale with the date and time of the transaction noted. I hear the EPA is cracking down on oil spills and .... well ... ya know that Mr. Leaky spilled its innards all the way home. When they trace the leak source, have that bill of sale ready.

ole joat

Good point but he said they had been chasing his tracks for years over his old 372 leaving a oil trail a mile long so he wasn't worried about it. The oil tank in Mr.Leaky only had abit of oil in it, its usual status,LOL

Good point but he said they had been chasing his tracks for years over his old 372 leaving a oil trail a mile long so he wasn't worried about it. The oil tank in Mr.Leaky only had abit of oil in it, its usual status,LOL

Tommie,

Only a bit of oil ... I see. You didn't fill it everyday. Per chance, does the MS460 powerhouse have that same disgusting leaking tendancies?

ole joat

Tommie,

Only a bit of oil ... I see. You didn't fill it everyday. Per chance, does the MS460 powerhouse have that same disgusting leaking tendancies?

ole joat

Nope, did not fill it everyday. I seen no point going out in the shed refilling that thing daily while it sat there for months,haha. He was very delighted with Mr.Leaky, he kept saying man its like brand new. I thought yup, aint it a beauty, near as new as your gonna find, I was never so happy to get rid of a chainsaw,LOL

Do 460's leak , of course not. Sold millions of those, never seen one leak. Ok, I may be stretching it just a bit there,LOL

Hey Joat remember Matt's mint 460, now if I can get 600.00 for Mr.Leaky and do it telling the man it leaked oil like a huzzy out in the real world surely Matt can get 700.00 for his 460. I knew I was on da money about that saw..

Nope, did not fill it everyday. I seen no point going out in the shed refilling that thing daily while it sat there for months,haha. He was very delighted with Mr.Leaky, he kept saying man its like brand new. I thought yup, aint it a beauty, near as new as your gonna find, I was never so happy to get rid of a chainsaw,LOL

Do 460's leak , of course not. Sold millions of those, never seen one leak. Ok, I may be stretching it just a bit there,LOL

Hey Joat remember Matt's mint 460, now if I can get 600.00 for Mr.Leaky and do it telling the man it leaked oil like a huzzy out in the real world surely Matt can get 700.00 for his 460. I knew I was on da money about that saw..

Tommie,

Yeah, $700 for the Matt 460 sounds right. I never doubted your uncanny ability to recognize a sales situation.

You are the Sultan of Sales,

ole joat

Latest posts

Back