Husqvarna372xp or Stihlms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 371XP and a 460 and both wear a 24" bar. The 371 (predecessor to the 372) feels lighter and more nimble and is more pleasant to use for me. Both saws pull a 24" bar buried with no problems and I can"t tell a difference in power (both saw are stock).

As for reliability the 371 needed a new fuel line and choke lever after 9 years of firewood duty, is still on the original air filter and I replaced the original spark plug when I installed the new fuel line.
The 460 has only been in the stable for a year and is a great backup to the 371.

ive seen full wrapped big dawged xp's on the shelfs maybe its an out west kinda thing.

i also used to think the full wrap and big dawgs meant xpw.

The "W" designation DOES mean wrap handle. On the 372XPW the cc's are bumped from 70.7 (on the XP) to 74.7 (on the XPW).

I love my XPW - only 3 tanks through it (24" bar), but it's awesome. Honestly though, either way man, you're not gonna be sorry. Get the one you WANT

best of luck

edit: word of caution - the XPW handle does get in the way of adjusting the chain tensioner - not a big deal to me, but just an FYI.

edit 2: you can get a Stihl RSC chain for the 372 as well....just match up your drivelinks, gauge and pitch. A 24" Husky bar takes a 25" Stihl chain (on mine anyways).....84DL's, 0.050 gauge and 3/8" pitch.....it's just nomenclature difference b/t manufacturers on the 24" vs. 25"

Last edited:
Depends

You want something that'll eat up that 372, or something with grunt for bucking logs??? Make your choice from there... Grunt or light and less power...

:popcorn:

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up having to work late today so I did not get to go try them out. I will get off early tomarrow and that will be my first stop on the way home.

interesting.

Either one will do. I read a comment where the husky parts were cheaper, unless you have a dealer that will give you a nice discount, Stihl parts are no higher. I like the 460 and prefer the 044/440 myself but have ran some nice 372s.

my buddy ordered an air filter for an 026 Pro.after the 4th one was finally the right one,it was $47.

my air filter for my 395xp was $34.

hell,maybe i'm just no good with numbers but that seems cheaper to me.

i just got a price of $184 for an MS 660 gas tank.i got a feeling a 385/390xp tanks is less.

i tried to like that full wrap handle.

The "W" designation DOES mean wrap handle. On the 372XPW the cc's are bumped from 70.7 (on the XP) to 74.7 (on the XPW).

I love my XPW - only 3 tanks through it (24" bar), but it's awesome. Honestly though, either way man, you're not gonna be sorry. Get the one you WANT

best of luck

edit: word of caution - the XPW handle does get in the way of adjusting the chain tensioner - not a big deal to me, but just an FYI.

edit 2: you can get a Stihl RSC chain for the 372 as well....just match up your drivelinks, gauge and pitch. A 24" Husky bar takes a 25" Stihl chain (on mine anyways).....84DL's, 0.050 gauge and 3/8" pitch.....it's just nomenclature difference b/t manufacturers on the 24" vs. 25"

no dice! that sucker got sold quick.put the half wrap handle on your xpw and sell the full wrap.

my buddy ordered an air filter for an 026 Pro.after the 4th one was finally the right one,it was $47.

i just got a price of $184 for an MS 660 gas tank.i got a feeling a 385/390xp tanks is less.

Give me his addy so I can send some butt lube.:dizzy: He got reamed, tell him to look for another dealer. Those filters are $30 here.

When I "had" a 2171, it needed a brake handle. My local J-red guy, 37 miles away, said "about $60". I laughed and gave him a thanks.:chainsaw: I'd shop with Spike from now on.

It just depends on the dealer, either brand. For the most part, the prices are pretty close from what I've seen here.

Why so many air filters? Just blow em out and swap em out every 2 yrs, the saws that is. I can't say outside of running an air filter nozzle through one that i've had one that needed replaced.

i got a 460 and i love it i would get one of them although the 372 is a great saw but the 460 is more powerful and respondes better to mods in my opionion

i know it varries from dealer to dealer.

Give me his addy so I can send some butt lube.:dizzy: He got reamed, tell him to look for another dealer. Those filters are $30 here.

When I "had" a 2171, it needed a brake handle. My local J-red guy, 37 miles away, said "about $60". I laughed and gave him a thanks.:chainsaw: I'd shop with Spike from now on.

It just depends on the dealer, either brand. For the most part, the prices are pretty close from what I've seen here.

lucky for me i get a good discount at a couple places.i spend a lot of money there too.

i wish spike was closer. i would gladly spread some wealth his way.

one day i am going to ride up there on the bike.probably have to get him to ship whatever i buy back home for me though.supposed to be nice next week i hear.

truth of the matter is...................

Why so many air filters? Just blow em out and swap em out every 2 yrs, the saws that is. I can't say outside of running an air filter nozzle through one that i've had one that needed replaced.

he fished the saw out of the dumpster behind a Jred dealer.it' didn't have a filter on it.i got it running but i wouldn't give it back to him until he bought the filter.

Husky filters etc are cheap here, even though the saws cost 2-3 times as much as in the US. Stihl pro saws are relatively cheap, but the parts are expensive.

An exemple; a sprocket rim costs 3-4 times as much when it say Stihl on it :jawdrop:, compared to an Oregon one from Husky - but the rim is exactly the same, except for the logo. An Oregon one from an independant sourse is somewhere inbetween.......

he fished the saw out of the dumpster behind a Jred dealer.it' didn't have a filter on it.i got it running but i wouldn't give it back to him until he bought the filter.

That makes sense. I've lost my filter. Set it down and it turned up a month later but never wore one out.

Without doubt I would take the 372. The 460 is an outdated design with lots of vibes, obsolete (or non existing) air filtration. With Stihl I would much rather go with a 441 .

Without doubt I would take the 372. The 460 is an outdated design with lots of vibes, obsolete (or non existing) air filtration. With Stihl I would much rather go with a 441 .
I'd probably go 441 as well. Even though I just chose a 260 over the 346 even though the 446 is a much nicer setup, I just don't like my saw falling over everytime I set it down and I personally think the 260 is a little more nimble. But thats just me.

Back