Hydraulic Fluids for Splitter ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearings

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am currently building my splitter and am looking for some advice on what hydraulic fluid to purchase. I have checked at our local farm fleet store and they have lots to pick from. They have AW32, AW46, AW68, AW100, 5-20, and Universal. With the Universal being the cheapest in a 5gallon pail. I will be using this splitter the most during the spring and fall months when its around 70 deg or so. I will also be using this in the winter months down to zero degrees. When and if i were to use this machine in the winter it would not be for very long and i would be warming it up overnight in the garage. Any suggestions ? Thanks bearings.

I had a similar question, my climate is anywhere form 80-0 or so when I run it, always stays in a cold barn.

AW46 or napa 30 weight is what members here told me.

Universal here as well, and no issues.

It's good to about 20 and then takes an extra 5 Min. to warm up.
If you toss some ATF in the tank and run just a bit over Minimum volume in the tank, down to 0 is about the same.

Come summer the heat will cause cavitation, unless you have enough volume in the tank to dissipate heat, so play it by ear and start with Min. volume in the tank and adjust from there.

If it's below zero, who wants to be splitting?
Same thing when it's 90 and the skeeters are biting LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Universal here as well, and no issues.

It's good to about 20 and then takes an extra 5 Min. to warm up.
If you toss some ATF in the tank and run just a bit over Minimum volume in the tank, down to 0 is about the same.

Come summer the heat will cause cavitation, unless you have enough volume in the tank to dissipate heat, so play it by ear and start with Min. volume in the tank and adjust from there.

If it's below zero, who wants to be splitting?
Same thing when it's 90 and the skeeters are biting LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You are very correct! Who likes that state bird bitting them! or freezin ur buns off. It will get used the most in that 50 to 80 deg temps.

You are very correct! Who likes that state bird bitting them! or freezin ur buns off. It will get used the most in that 50 to 80 deg temps.

LOL!!

You should have no issues then.

If she gets slow around 50, just drop in a couple quarts of ATF, crack another beer, and get back at it.

It's gonna be a helluva muddy spring this year with LOTS of black flies thanks to all of this "Global warming", or I would be done with mine.
I hate cutting and splitting in the Mud.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not to take your thread.

I split in any weather. Don't bother me much, not to labor intensive.
I need something I can keep in form summer to winter, I cant tell whats in it now. I may just use napa 30 weight, will that be ok in the mild summer days, I hate heat and wont be splitting over 75 degree if i have a choice.
so 25-70 degree.

Last edited:
I am currently building my splitter and am looking for some advice on what hydraulic fluid to purchase. I have checked at our local farm fleet store and they have lots to pick from. They have AW32, AW46, AW68, AW100, 5-20, and Universal. With the Universal being the cheapest in a 5gallon pail. I will be using this splitter the most during the spring and fall months when its around 70 deg or so. I will also be using this in the winter months down to zero degrees. When and if i were to use this machine in the winter it would not be for very long and i would be warming it up overnight in the garage. Any suggestions ? Thanks bearings.

I had the same choices and took the aw32. Did alot of checking on an oil forum. an example http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1154069#Post1154069

I've got AW68 in mine... which is fine when the temps are 40+.... but below that, it's too heavy. I have to preheat my splitter with my torpedo heater when the temps get below freezing. Once preheated though, it's fine.

I'd recommend either the Universal, or AW32, or ATF. Dad has run ATF in his old Speeco splitter since 1975, and it's still going strong.

Last summer I had the hi pressure hose blow out & spew oil all over the place. I didn't realize how fast this 61 year old body could move as I jumped up & shut it down. Turned away & heard a poof!. Looked back & saw the fluid hitting the motor had ignited. THEN this 61 year old body moved into HIGH gear running around front to the shop for the extinguisher.

There was no damage & the 5 gal. tank was only half empty. Decided it was a good time to change the filter & the rest of the oil. Went to Autozone & got a 5 gal. bucket of hydraulic fluid. Don't know what the spec on it was, but when it is 15 degrees out trying to start the 6 hp chinese Honda clone is like pulling salt water taffy! So the final verdict to me would be if you are splitting in winter, get a light weight oil.
Al

Last summer I had the hi pressure hose blow out & spew oil all over the place. I didn't realize how fast this 61 year old body could move as I jumped up & shut it down. Turned away & heard a poof!. Looked back & saw the fluid hitting the motor had ignited. THEN this 61 year old body moved into HIGH gear running around front to the shop for the extinguisher.

There was no damage & the 5 gal. tank was only half empty. Decided it was a good time to change the filter & the rest of the oil. Went to Autozone & got a 5 gal. bucket of hydraulic fluid. Don't know what the spec on it was, but when it is 15 degrees out trying to start the 6 hp chinese Honda clone is like pulling salt water taffy! So the final verdict to me would be if you are splitting in winter, get a light weight oil.
Al

LOL!!
Hot Hydo and fire is the secret to my own Lard butt 100m dash record of 9 sec. flat.:cheers:

Try draining out about a gallon of that cheapo Hydro, and pouring in 2qt of cheapo ATF.

It will thin out the hydro, and less volume will heat up faster.
Oil is oil as far as the pumps go, and the newer seals are not as touchy about detergents in whatever ya feed past them.

Also check your tank for water if ya havn't already... it's that time of year again.:mad:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back