Hydraulic pump on wood splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John ullmann

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Installed new pump on my wood splitter which was 11 gallons per minute pump on I six horse Briggs & Stratton engine now when I have tried to split would the engine will stall out before it splits any help would be appreciated

Are the hoses routed correctly?

What brand/size? Does it stall out when the lever is moved? Does it move the wedge at all? Need more information.

It only stalls out when you're trying to split the wood it will cycle back-and-forth on its own without no problem

Hmmm. Sounds like either there is a problem with the pump or it does not have a 2nd stage.

Is it a 2 stage pump? We are assuming the engine is running good. What happened to the old pump that it needed replacing?

Yes it is a two-stage pump the engine is running good. The reason I replace the old pump was the coupling got loose and messed the key way up

Be sure the pump is 11 gallons . Why I ask ? I put a 16 gallon on a 7 horse , they said I needed a 8 horse . The 7 horse was not close to run this pump . A flat head or a l head engine is not going to make a lot of power with it running good . Been real with happy the change , I got speed an fuel saving . I could be wrong,but if you power that pump up right you might be really happy .

Latest posts

Back