Hydraulic winch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I need a winch. I want it to be portable. I want a hydraulic winch so I can hook it to my skid steer hydraulics. I figure I would just strap the winch to tree and hook to whatever I want to pull. I can put the skid steer next to it and use the power. Here is the problem. I don;t know what my skid steer will do to a winch. The Mile Marker I am looking at is designed to work off a power steering pump. It works off 3gpm and 1500 psi. So what happens if I hook it to a 22gpm pump and 2400 plus psi. Will it stall? Will it break? or will it just be really fast. I have to get a winch soon for my next job. About 150-200 tree that are down a hill. Please help. Thanks Scott

The only way I know of....

22 gpm isn't gonna work with a milemarker. Too much volume. There maybe a way to "turn it down" meaning a restrictor valve, or some other way to limit the flow thru the motor.

You could do a search on "hydraulic motor". There are LARGE motors out there that are rated for more GPM, and would make excellent winch motors! The fun is you have to build a winch around the motor.

For pulling what you described a hydraulic is the way to go. The over all tonnage isn't that high, but decent line speed would be nice.

-pat

Might be better to attach the winch to the machine. You can chain the machine to another tree or stump so it doesn't get pulled.
I would get a block so I could chain it to a tree and run the winch line through it to get more lift. Also I would put a choker setup on the cable. Nice if you can suck the logs up and onto some kind of little landing (flatspot) without dragging them through the dirt too much.

I don't want it attached to the boom arms on my Skid Steer. I'm afraid I might get a twist or a pull that could bend a cylinder or a lift arm. I know that would be hard to do but I hate paying for repairs when I can avoid them.

Scott

Last edited:
hook it to your skid steer.

your skid steer is rated as 22 gpm, at WOT.

just don't run it at WOT. if your skid steer is WOT at 2500, and idle is 800 rpm, then half speed will be bout 17 gpm.

the pressure will go up as a function of load. you might put a pressure gauge on the winch, and learn what the winch sounds like/feels like as it starts to load up.

often the skid steers have adjustable relief valves for the aux circuit.

I don't want it attached to the boom arms on my Skid Steer. I'm afraid I might get a twist or a pull that could bend a cylinder or a lift arm. I know that would be hard to do but I hate paying for repairs when I can avoid them.

Scott

You wont bend anything pulling forward on your skidsteer , nearly impossable to hurt the frame or cyl without draging the skidder twards the tree, keep the pull in line with the loader arms and you,ll be fine,.call the manf with the moter numbers and find out how many psi/ gpm it will handle, psi is the only important thing not gpm, the size of the motor fittings will control flow, just make sure it will handle the 2250 + psi,. Eric

Latest posts

Back