I am a little disapointed in myself...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badcars2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
all this talk about pro saws and more power. here i was looking for a 440 or a 066, i just cut about five cords of forewood a year. with occasional clearing at the farm, another acre now, after i looked at it thought the largest tree is probably 16 inches through and through. i love my 041 but it is old, has problems, and is heavy as a houseful of luggage.
i am thinking of a used 025- an 029. i know ill get alot of flack for this but hey, i ll get something more practical for my application.
i guess if you cut everyday you may really need a pro saw, but for the partime firewood dude, i just dont think it is needed. not in my case antway.
i tried an 025 that belonged to a friend and really liked it. i have to look at budget and reality here.
thanks for all your post weeks ago when i asked the question about which saw. but i have done alot of thiinking since then.
it isw more about what i can get by with than what i want. i know you all know the story.

hey, good choices... I like them, have used them, and serviced them.

Don't feel bad... if more AS member tried the saws they bash, or the saws they recommend .... wait, what am I saying... ;)

Don't worry about it! Why lug a bunch of extra weight around when you don't need to? The decision you're making has "grown-up" written all over it.I've got an 066 that doesn't want to wear out but if it ever does I"ll have Dean build me up something small, lighter, and just as good for what I do.

badcars2 said:
i love my 041 but it is old, has problems, and is heavy as a houseful of luggage.
i am thinking of a used 025- an 029.
From what I've seen, the 025 gets a good rating for a non-commercial use saw.

Dont be too hard on the guys here. Some are pro users but most I suspect are like me and enjoy fine tools and realy cant defend some of our purchases with ecomonic sence. My brother in law regularly trashes a saw, he can(and has) trashed Pro Stihls, Dolmars and you name it. He has a 029 now that has lasted longer than any I can remember. As long as you stay away from the $150 or less chain store saws you are goig to be Ok for your intended usage and some even get decent service life from those. I have a few of them that we bang around trimming fence rows and to tell you the truth they have been less PITA than I expected. It is just very hard to recomend a too cheap saw when somebody asks on here, at least for me it is.

Most decisions are emotional according to my College professor. so don't screw up this forum with 'logic.':laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Why don't you guys give the 026 a look. Great saw. Don't say anything bad about it and something good about the 025, 029 in the same sentence.

Fred

For a small saw I'm in love.

Mr. said:
Why don't you guys give the 026 a look. Great saw. Don't say anything bad about it and something good about the 025, 029 in the same sentence.

Fred

For a small saw I'm in love.

The 026 is my smallest saw and I love it for limbing and smaller bucking jobs. Good in the tree too.
Arnie

fishhuntcutwood said:
Yep. See that last saw in my sig? Pure emotion.

Jeff

What, no "magnum" and "Dual Port" with it?

What cha' doing to use that 046 for now? Bet you'll play most with the 361 and 660 now.

I can let you play with my 088 in a couple of weeks (if all goes well) :D

Last edited:
I think I told someone last summer that you don't need 5hp to cut 4" limbs.
It seems that his theory is that it is faster with a 046.
Perhaps. Maybe. I prefer to do my limbing with a smaller saw that is easier to handle. Go for it. I understand the 041 heavy problem. Been there, done that.

-pat

Lakeside53 said:
What, no "magnum" and "Dual Port" with it?

What cha' doing to use that 046 for now? Bet you'll play most with the 361 and 660 now.

I can let you play with my 088 in a couple of weeks (if all goes well) :D

The 460 got used today on a stump as a matter of fact. And yes the 660 is a Mag of course, and a dual port.

And I'll hold you to that offer to play with the 088 if I ever make it over to see you someday!

Jeff

Butch(OH) said:
Dont be too hard on the guys here. Some are pro users but most I suspect are like me and enjoy fine tools and realy cant defend some of our purchases with ecomonic sence. My brother in law regularly trashes a saw, he can(and has) trashed Pro Stihls, Dolmars and you name it. He has a 029 now that has lasted longer than any I can remember. As long as you stay away from the $150 or less chain store saws you are goig to be Ok for your intended usage and some even get decent service life from those. I have a few of them that we bang around trimming fence rows and to tell you the truth they have been less PITA than I expected. It is just very hard to recomend a too cheap saw when somebody asks on here, at least for me it is.

What you just wrote is true for me. I never really needed the huskies (359 or 575) that I got, I just wanted some bigger tools. I am sure badcars2 would be fine with a 250 Stihl. I used a huskie 141 to cut about 10 cords of walnut and popular for firewood and the saw did just fine. Remember if you get a saw with a smaller bar, chains will cost less and and so will replacment bars.

badcars2 said:
...i have to look at budget and reality here.QUOTE]

I heard that! After analyzing my budget for this year (complete with trying to start a family etc.), I think I'll have to be happy with my 260 after I do my muffler mod and swap the carb. I'll be cutting firewood for myself and to sell a little on the side - mostly leftover oak tops and whatever else I can find. I was 'wanting' a used 036Pro/360Pro for 'in-case-I-get-into-some-bigger-wood' and for faster cutting - but for now reality and budget are the key words. I got a 16" bar coming for the 260 and if I do get into some bigger wood, I'll put on the 20" bar and take my time.
For the amount of use I would be getting out of a bigger saw - a used 390 might do me in the future...

I'd suggest looking at a dolmar 5100 if the cost is not a huge concern.

Cost is a big issue for me and I cout about the same amount as you do - I went with a used 038 magnum. Its great for my purposes.

i just got a dolmar 5100s with an 18"bar and it kicks a$$ the money was a little more than the standard saw but the extra power need i say more........
entery level pro saw runs about 14,500 rpm no load.

Back