I bought the wrong saw (ms250) Now what??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo 590 or Husqvarna 555 or 365. Those would be the best new "budget" options. The 555 and 590 would run pretty close to an ms362 and be a fair amount cheaper. The 365 is a 70cc saw, so it'll have more power, but be heavier.

Personally I wouldn't consider buying a clamshell saw new, not for over $200 anyway. If I wanted a super lightweight saw I might consider a 170 or something. But the 291/311/391 saws are a waste of money in my opinion. Yes, they'll cut a lot of wood, but there are MUCH better saws out there for the money.

I’d go with a 365 as it can always be upgraded to a 372.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a couple stihl and huskys and my favorite wood cutting saw is the husky 562xp with 20” bar. It’ll handle everything your cutting and feel like it’s doing it at 100mph. The stihl equivalent is the ms 362. You can find one for around 7-750 but will not regret it and it’ll last you a long time!

Also when I first got into cutting wood 12 years ago I bought a 455 rancher 20” bar ran the dog crap out of it and it never let me down still fires in a couple of pulls and has 150 compression. Also may be more suitable for your price range.

The echo doesn’t look bad and is certainly a bargain. I’ve been scrolling through the trading post on here and there are some deals to be had. I think I’m going to go the used route. And some mentioned that the 250 should be fine and yes it does cut through everything I have but I really need to maximize my limited time and speed up the process. Also having a bigger saw just in case is ideal. I might even wait a year and save up for a ~70cc pro saw. Going to talk to the money keeper today and see what she thinks we should do

Just a little more on sharpening, are you doing it as a beginner or having them sharpened? When you put on a new chain does it cut faster than the sharpened ones? If it does then they are not properly sharpened. Look at the size o the chips that come off the new chain and the used chain, if the ones from the new chain are larger then who every is sharpening them is doing it wrong. A well hand sharpened used chain will kick butt over a new chain.

The echo doesn’t look bad and is certainly a bargain. I’ve been scrolling through the trading post on here and there are some deals to be had. I think I’m going to go the used route. And some mentioned that the 250 should be fine and yes it does cut through everything I have but I really need to maximize my limited time and speed up the process. Also having a bigger saw just in case is ideal. I might even wait a year and save up for a ~70cc pro saw. Going to talk to the money keeper today and see what she thinks we should do
Ask @chipper1 if he still has a 365 or 562 or 266se still available. Either saw with a 20" will be a nice cutting saw with a sharp chain (always have to say that). I would grab a 365, easy to work on, good power, available parts and can be turned into a 372 with little effort, but not really needed.

You'll get more for your money buying used than new. Just take care of where you're buying. If you buy from a pawn shop or eBay, you're gambling on it's condition. If you buy a used saw from a member on here or another forum, usually it's been gone through and the previous owner knows all the quirks and will be honest and tell you what it needs if anything, or will have fixed everything because that's what chainsaw nuts do.

Why pay OTT for the so called ultimate 2 there are other brands out there that the unwashed/brainwashed brigade will wet their pants if you mention the brands other than their beloved 2, lot of these naysayers have never run the saws thy deride,& would be surprised at the result Doing what you are aiming to achieve can be successfully done with a less buck for the bang bit of kit

Listed in Facebook marketplace is an ms381? Is that available in the US? Just seems too good to be true. I attached a few photos. The limited description is fairly normal for Facebook.

Attachments

• 4C5C68E8-7554-431C-805F-A7D79196596D.png
    4C5C68E8-7554-431C-805F-A7D79196596D.png
    5 MB · Views: 50
  • 028C5F5E-DB64-419B-9FB5-0F1072099F50.jpeg
    028C5F5E-DB64-419B-9FB5-0F1072099F50.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 44
  • C06E43D6-C10B-4A42-9DA4-ABAECAB868D8.png
    C06E43D6-C10B-4A42-9DA4-ABAECAB868D8.png
    5.6 MB · Views: 48
You'll get more for your money buying used than new. Just take care of where you're buying. If you buy from a pawn shop or eBay, you're gambling on it's condition. If you buy a used saw from a member on here or another forum, usually it's been gone through and the previous owner knows all the quirks and will be honest and tell you what it needs if anything, or will have fixed everything because that's what chainsaw nuts do.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. Ideally I’d like to find a used 362 or similar

Back