I bought the wrong saw (ms250) Now what??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listed in Facebook marketplace is an ms381? Is that available in the US? Just seems too good to be true. I attached a few photos. The limited description is fairly normal for Facebook.

This is probably a Chinese knockoff.

What is your budget?

Why pay OTT for the so called ultimate 2 there are other brands out there that the unwashed/brainwashed brigade will wet their pants if you mention the brands other than their beloved 2

I would much rather have a dolmar heard, but the one dealer that is within 50 miles is a real jag. It comes down to dealer support being just as important as the product they are selling.

If you have that in the budget, go for the Echo CS-620! I love mine! I bought the Cs-590 for a buddy and it's close but not the same.

Look for an Echo dealer having a customer appreciation days event. That's good for a 20% savings. It should get you close to $500.

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too. Ideally I’d like to find a used 362 or similar

362 or 562xp just pull the trigger you’ll love it. I have a stihl and husky dealer in town I haggled with both they offered same size bar and an extra chain. The only reason I ended with the 562 he came off 15% plus threw in a solid carrying case for 30$ Vs the 362.

Any idea on real world pricing for a 362 and the 562xp? And if you had to chose one (obviously you got the 562 because of a good deal but with that aside) which would you go with? Also I’m wondering about chain and bar costs etc. I live in the south east so I’m thinking the m-tronic might not be needed (correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is that it’s really only beneficial in cold climates. I might get snow once a year and it melts by the end of the day. Don’t laugh cold weather guys! Because the summer more than makes up for no snow)

Both h
Any idea on real world pricing for a 362 and the 562xp? And if you had to chose one (obviously you got the 562 because of a good deal but with that aside) which would you go with? Also I’m wondering about chain and bar costs etc. I live in the south east so I’m thinking the m-tronic might not be needed (correct me if I’m wrong but my understanding is that it’s really only beneficial in cold climates. I might get snow once a year and it melts by the end of the day. Don’t laugh cold weather guys! Because the summer more than makes up for no snow)
Both saws are computer monitored I’ve only had mine a year but no issues. It was priced with a 20” bar included. I’m not biased but have never ran a 362 but I can confidently say it’ll perform very similar. What it may come down to is how one feels in your hand. I like the feel of my 562 vs my 461 but then again the 461 is a bigger saw. The husky seems to keep the air filter cleaner as well. I’d say you can find a nice used one of each for 500 but then again for 200 more is it worth used for new is the question you have to ask. It’s a lot of money for sure but I don’t regret mine. Maybe I got lucky for finding mine for 700 otd. But I would definitely buy from here vs pawn shops or eBay unless you have a way to do compression checks before the purchase.

I'm not sure on the 562, but I think the 362 is marked at $729 or something like that at my dealer. They might come down a little from the sticker price, but not much.

The computer controlled carb on both the 362 and 562 is a good feature in any climate, assuming its functioning correctly. If there isn't a computer setting the fuel mixture, you are responsible to do it. Its not rocket science, but it does require that you learn what needs to be done and hire to do it.

I will say though that the 562 and 362 are top of the line saws. They're good, absolutely, BUT there's other saws that are 90% as good for a lot less money. The husky 555 is the same saw as the 562 minus crank stuffers and maybe a couple other small changes that hold it back a small amount compared to the 562. Seriously, you'd probably never notice a difference. The echo 590/600/620 are also super well made and would keep you much closer to your budget.

And one more point. Unless you have them already, it would be very irresponsible to stretch your budget for the fanciest 60cc saw and not leave room for a pair of chainsaw chaps. Buy them, wear them. A helmet and a trauma-pack type first aid kit should also be on the list.

I’m going to go look at saws tomorrow, 362, 562 the echo if I can find one, 555 and 465 and just see what feels right.

Also coming from the drilling industry (and still having all of my fingers regardless of how jacked up they are) safety was my first priority so I bought good chaps with the saw. Hard hat, steel toes, extensive trauma kit etc I already had. Dealer yesterday actually asked if I wanted to test a saw out but I refused because I didn’t have my ppe. Maybe overkill but hey there’s nothing dorky about losing body parts and id rather come off as a safety sally than get hurt especially since saws are fairly new to me.

An MS 381 is essentially the 038 Magnum II you could buy in a few countries with less stringent emissions regs. I’d not bet on getting parts/service here in the US. The 391 is a solid saw for what it is. If I was not in the tree killing business and only needed to run at max a 25 inch bar, it would be plenty adequate. I’d rather have a 372, 440, 441, 576 or 461 but it’s adequate. For the size wood you’re talking about I’d stick a 20 on it, keep a sharp chain and rock on. A 70cc/4 cube saw is way overkill for a 20 inch bar-unless you’re cutting Ironwood in Australia or solely hedgeapple/osage orange in the US.

This is an example of why it’s important to research what saw to buy BEFORE you buy it.

Let’s cut him some slack he mentioned he bought it to clear some pine after a storm which I think the 250 would be fine to do. And now he’s venturing into cutting wood and realizes he needs something bigger.

Back