I can't wait for next winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldfront

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know I was complaining about our long cold winter, but I have had it already with ticks, mosquito's, gnats, black flies, and deer fly's. I want cold weather back, right now it is so bad I don't even want to go outside. My head, neck, arms, hands, knuckles, ankles, feet, are covered with insect bites. I have scabs all over from scratching the skin off insect bites.

You may want to learn how to live in your area with you biting insects. I hate the summer solely for the heat. Bugs leave me alone, for I dress, and adapt to my environment.

What did you do? Drink to much and pass out naked in the bush? That's about the only way I know of getting that many insect bites.

They are getting in my house, every time I open a door to go in or out about 10 mosquito's get in. They are getting me at night when I'm sleeping. They are getting me all day at work, I can't even keep the garage doors open in the shop. The mosquito's are relentless worst I can remember in many years. The deer fly's are just warming up.

I know I was complaining about our long cold winter, but I have had it already with ticks, mosquito's, gnats, black flies, and deer fly's. I want cold weather back, right now it is so bad I don't even want to go outside. My head, neck, arms, hands, knuckles, ankles, feet, are covered with insect bites. I have scabs all over from scratching the skin off insect bites.
calamine lotion....

DEET does a good job keeping all of those off you when outside. The Deep Woods insect repellant by Off has 25% and I find works the best over all other options. I have no advice for you about keeping them out of your house other and check your screens closely and manage the front door better, maybe install a screen door...

Almost forgot one thing... I do use fly eliminators/fly predators to control the biting flies on my property and have had good results. Google them.

We ain't had that much heat here... maybe a eight or ten days over 80°... likely only fifteen or twenty days over 70°...
I've seen only two ticks... one on the neighbor and one on the dog's ear last night...
I believe I've only received three, maybe four mosquito bites... and that was over a week ago...
No gnats or no-see-'ems of any sort...
Ain't seen a single biting fly...

Really, until this week we've been cool, dry and windy... the garden just sat idle until the last week or so. Only one tomato plant has managed to reach knee high, and one ain't even started a new leaf yet. The peppers and onions ain't done anything... I mean absolutely nothing. The grass all but quit growing... but I'm sure the 6+-inches of rain we've received this week will get it goin' again. Even so, the predictions are for temps back down in the 70's by this weekend with cool nights... I ain't expectin' much change in the bug situation, or with the garden.

I can wait for winter... I'm still fed-up with it... heck, I ain't even sure it's over yet.

DEET does a good job keeping all of those off you when outside. The Deep Woods insect repellant by Off has 25% and I find works the best over all other options. I have no advice for you about keeping them out of your house other and check your screens closely and manage the front door better, maybe install a screen door...

Almost forgot one thing... I do use fly eliminators/fly predators to control the biting flies on my property and have had good results. Google them.

I just did that..slick! Might get some for around the house and barn. I have some chickens but they are in a run and coop, so no worries about them eating the little bees/wasps whatever they are.

As to the heat, both extremes suck, but having to work on things made from steel..I can work on stuff in the summer, but in the winter, forget it. Example, last winter I had one running truck, now I have three, because I can work on them.

I find firewood cutting to be easier in the winter, because of less underbrush, but hauling it out is easier in the summer as the ground dries out. Hand splitting is more pleasant in the winter, but in the summer I have plenty of daylight to split after dinner.

There are always tradeoffs.

Here in Louisiana, it's just getting hot. Been mostly in the mid 90's everyday. I don't mind the heat so much when I'm at home, but at work that is a different story. It sucks! It's already hot and so humid. I start to sweat the minute i get out of my truck! ready for some cooler weather also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm ok with a bit more heat before it gets cold again. I want the garden to produce and lay in a lot more wood to sell. That and making money working outdoors is a lot less work, even with all the bugs, when the weather is warm.

Mr. HE:cool:

! all I can say is "YOU ARE A SICK PERSON WITH NEED OF HELP"..... but I totally agree with you ?? maybe to a sense in the way of being tired of natures pests including all the humidity.... lol winter was a hardship for just about everyone that has tasted an tested mothers rath an scorn at ole man winter....... so winter will be here again sooner than we want it for real... so be careful of what you may wish for!

Yes. It is so miserable outside that I had to come in for a bit. 70 something and a strange dry, brightness out there. By now the moss has dried out enough to go mow it, so I shall do that. Yup, the mildewy winter days are soooo much more enjoyable than summer...I love the winter when I have to carry a lot of stuff whilst traveling over the mountains just in case there is an avalanche or closure of the pass. Being able to go hiking in the mountains and traveling around really sucks! Must go out into the misery.
Juniper flowers0001.JPG
Juniper dog on trail0001.JPG
Don't move here.

Yes. It is so miserable outside that I had to come in for a bit. 70 something and a strange dry, brightness out there. By now the moss has dried out enough to go mow it, so I shall do that. Yup, the mildewy winter days are soooo much more enjoyable than summer...I love the winter when I have to carry a lot of stuff whilst traveling over the mountains just in case there is an avalanche or closure of the pass. Being able to go hiking in the mountains and traveling around really sucks! Must go out into the misery.
View attachment 355575
View attachment 355576
Don't move here.
Oh, knock it off. It cant be that great or we would have heard about it before now!:)
The pictures are great, by the way, thanks for sharing.:bowdown:

No doubt the scenery in the west coast states is beautiful...
Too bad the people living there have allowed government and ideologues to remove all semblance of Constitutional liberty...
Don't worry... I ain't movin' there... I prefer the land of the free.

Really? We still seem to be able to do well here. Things turned around quicker if one is to believe what is posted about your area. We don't seem to be so paranoid about crime either. We also are able to walk about 300 feet to pack our firewood into the house without whining or carrying 10 guns. Please stay in your land of "the free". We don't need any more people here to ruin our scenery and crowd our roads, 'cept it does take some work sometimes to get to those places--walking in a few miles and back out, and many folks from back east can't handle the weather or the physical exertion.

We have laws to try to keep our environment pleasant and intact for our kids. Funny, we seem to be able to still keep going. If freedom means having a hog farm and turning rivers into a sewer system, you can have it. We'll stay the way we are.

Don't move here.

ive been using "REPEL" brand 40% DEET for years, best ive found, bugs stay far away, most others ive used the bugs will still get close enough to be annoying...

i buy the aresol cans and i have to walk around while spraying it on, or i end up choking on the "cloud" haha thats about the only down side

Same with the Deep Woods although you can buy the non aresol spray which I get both because of the fogging.

Back