i caught a fish this big (beaver thread solved)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmm i got a buddy who kills skunks with his bb gun. i guess its a real nice one. he tells me i can get 10 shots into it before it even knows whats goin on and by then its dead.

i got a few buddies with guns so i may have to see what i can borrow. i think im wearing the wife down on me getting a gun. first time i brought it up man...:censored: i was like you kidding me???????????

I wonder how your buddy would like to be shot 10 times with a BB Gun before he dies? Think about it man. That's cruelty to animals. If you are going to shot it, shot it with something heavy enough that will kill it with one shot, like a 22 rifle, or a shot gun. Bruce.

22 short CB’s are very effective on wood chucks. My boys (9&10) with their little Savages will vouch for that. If the noise is truly a factor, go down to your local farm supply store and buy a 220 body grip trap. Boil it in water to remove the oil, rub some fresh dirt on the steel, set the trap in the monsters hole (be careful not to put any body parts in the trap once it is set – it will hurt). I have never felt guilty or cruel killing anything plant or animal. God put these canine teeth in my month and they will never be pulled. Almost forgot this is a firewood site – once the beast is dead, fill the holes in with saw dust before a kid breaks their ankle. Good luck.

22 short Cb's are very effective on wood chucks. My boys (9&10) with their little Savages will vouch for that. If the noise is truly a factor, go down to your local farm supply store and buy a 220 body grip trap. Boil it in water to remove the oil, rub some fresh dirt on the steel, set the trap in the monsters hole (be careful not to put any body parts in the trap once it is set – it will hurt). I have never felt guilty or cruel killing anything plant or animal. God put these canine teeth in my month and they will never be pulled. Almost forgot this is a firewood site – once the beast is dead, fill the holes in with saw dust before a kid breaks their ankle. Good luck.
Don't get me wrong. I hunt for sport, and I trap as well. I don't like the idea of seeing any thing suffer too much. I always try my best to make a clean kill, but I know sometimes that doesn't happen. Shooting something 10 times, with something like a pellet gun, is definitely out of the question. I agree with you on the trap idea. This type of trap you described is quick, and painless, to the animal. Bruce.

Living in a city kind of limits the ability to shoot first ask questions later. The chipmunks drive the dogs nuts and they dig holes under the bushes which kill the bush. They also eat the bird seed and chew into sheds.
We use a Have a heart trap with 1/4 mesh hardware cloth added to it. If the mesh is not added the culprit may escape! We then drive them to another part of the city out on a country lane.
The transportation is now to expensive and the designated receiver of the new pest usually does not always like his new gift, I found that out while dumping it out in a ditch.
Our new method is to still use the trap, but we let the dogs bark at it the terrified & trapped critter for awhile and then put the cage and all into a large bucket of water completely covering it until it's demise.:cry:
Very quick and quiet except for the dogs tormenting in revenge.:hmm3grin2orange:
Empty trap of contents into garbage and set the trap again.
I plan to get a fireplace so these critters will not be tolerated in the wood pile.

One thing that works good, and is very effective, in your case, is Moth Balls. I use them to put around any thing I don't want the mice and rats to get into, like my bags of Grain Seed, Soy Bean Seed, Corn Seed, and Winter Wheat Seed I have stored before seeding in the Spring, and the Fall. Bruce

Can't miss him with this.

scan0002.jpg

Oh yes you can....:censored: :laugh:

Rodent is a Rodent to me and my hound. The hound has had two encounters with the worst varmint for a dog to tangle with a Porcupine, Here they hit 20/25lbs no Problem and the tail is the most dangerous part. He is a smart hound wont tangle with them again he comes running to tell dad, that's me their is a porky over there that needs dispatching. Funny the two encounters he had only had one Quill in him each time.
Don't under estimate how hard a varmint can bite. I was 6years old and my big brother caught a Gopher (Richardson Ground Squirrel) in the garage he was wearing heavy gloves it did not draw blood but hert him then it was flung against the driveway.After that everyone that came into the house or yard was delt with a Diana or the bow. My dog is good for two or three squirrels a year in the yard these are black and gray tree squirrels, Heck my boy can climb trees if it has a Grouse or Squirrel in it,lol

Austin1, I have a two year old Chessie. She was born to hunt. She has done exceptionally well with the training this year and half. She stands for the upland birds, not sure why, just the way she was made. Best dog I have ever had for late season water fowl. She stands a good chance of knocking herself out one of these days with a flushed rabbit. I have no woodchucks, chipmunks, or unwanted visitors at my house. They all just seem to go away. The family sleeps well at night.

22 short CB’s are very effective on wood chucks. My boys (9&10) with their little Savages will vouch for that. If the noise is truly a factor, go down to your local farm supply store and buy a 220 body grip trap. Boil it in water to remove the oil, rub some fresh dirt on the steel, set the trap in the monsters hole (be careful not to put any body parts in the trap once it is set – it will hurt). I have never felt guilty or cruel killing anything plant or animal. God put these canine teeth in my month and they will never be pulled. Almost forgot this is a firewood site – once the beast is dead, fill the holes in with saw dust before a kid breaks their ankle. Good luck.

Check the legality of using the body grip trap first. I many states they are illegal out of water (especially the 220 & 330). If another critter, like the neigbors dog or cat, comes along and sticks it's head down the hole, THWACK!!! :jawdrop: It can definitely make for some problems.

A cage trap or shooting are probably your best options.

i dealt with woodchucks where i used to live, in very urban hudson county, nj. i got 2 hav-a-heart traps. caught almost 30 of them over 2 summers. some i called the town and the animal control would come, take the trap, release them, and then drop the trap back. most i released about 5-6 miles away near the meadowlands. i know how frustrating they can be. one year, my wife and i planted flowers and veggies on memorial day, and they were all gone by that thursday. they are prolific breeders (think rabbits). and you will probably always have a problem with them. good luck whatever you decide to do. i hope you take the non-lethal route :biggrinbounce2:

we seem to be missing the most important question:

Ready for it??

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

damn giants...............i was at the kenny chesney concert saturday night at gillette stadium and someone gave him a t-shirt that said i hate payton manning on the front and on the back it said eli sucks too. lol im gonna have to get me one of those.

on the woodchuck note i havent seen it in a couple days but im still deciding what to do. dont get me wrong i dont enjoy killing animals i dont even hunt. now if i had to to live and feed my family it wouldnt be a question. but i can go to the store and buy meat cheaply enough so i dont feel its necessary to hunt animals. i dont rip on people who hunt for sport or food its their choice. i havent had time to lookin into traps or anything hopefully tonight i can look around onlime some.

Took care of a woodchuck today at my mom's house. It dug under the sun porch and was also tearing up the floor in the lean-to. I seen it run under the porch so I got the garden hose out, sure enough it come out, ran into the lean-to. Scared it outta there and it went under her car. The neighbors seen it, brought their dog over. So with the help of Max, it was all over in a matter of a few mins. I hate the damn things, they're always tearing up something around here. Definitely not good to have around if you have kids, they can get pretty mean when cornered.

Took care of a woodchuck today at my mom's house. It dug under the sun porch and was also tearing up the floor in the lean-to. I seen it run under the porch so I got the garden hose out, sure enough it come out, ran into the lean-to. Scared it outta there and it went under her car. The neighbors seen it, brought their dog over. So with the help of Max, it was all over in a matter of a few mins. I hate the damn things, they're always tearing up something around here. Definitely not good to have around if you have kids, they can get pretty mean when cornered.
Glad to hear you fixed your problem. I've had a few Dogs around here in the past, that would fix the odd Ground Hog as well. The Dog I have now, will corner them, and keep them at bay, until I can get a Hockey Stick, and give it a Slap Shot off the Mellon. Other than that I just shoot them with my 222 Rifle out in the fields. Bruce.

Back