i did something stupid and i admit it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
wife and i got out this morn and starting cutting on the wood pile,,we cut about 1 1/2 hours, it was time to refill the 370 so i stopped and refilled the gas mix,put the cap on,,i filled the bar oil and about that time my neighbor came strolling over to say hi,,we talked a few minutes and by then my motivator stopped working so we grabbed everything and headed to the shop to put the saws up,,,i was carrying my saw on the side,,caps up,, got to the work bench and turned it right side up and set it on the bench,,well,,i looked down and all the bar oil was on the floor, and the oil cap was just hanging:bang::bang::bang: stupid me got destracted when the neighbor come over i didn't screw the bar oil cap on,,i had just set it on,, luckly i was carrying it caps up or it would have been all down my legs,,guess that happens when you get destrated,,that was a waste of a full tank of good bar oil,guess thats better then straight gassing 1

Your scenario is the same as flippy caps, but without the distracting neighbor & the forgetting to screw the cap. the fluid goes, as you stated all over your legs. .

wife and i got out this morn and starting cutting on the wood pile,,we cut about 1 1/2 hours, it was time to refill the 370 so i stopped and refilled the gas mix,put the cap on,,i filled the bar oil and about that time my neighbor came strolling over to say hi,,we talked a few minutes and by then my motivator stopped working so we grabbed everything and headed to the shop to put the saws up,,,i was carrying my saw on the side,,caps up,, got to the work bench and turned it right side up and set it on the bench,,well,,i looked down and all the bar oil was on the floor, and the oil cap was just hanging:bang::bang::bang: stupid me got destracted when the neighbor come over i didn't screw the bar oil cap on,,i had just set it on,, luckly i was carrying it caps up or it would have been all down my legs,,guess that happens when you get destrated,,that was a waste of a full tank of good bar oil,guess thats better then straight gassing 1

If you haven't done that, put your chain on backwards or put bar lube in the gas tank, you haven't ever worked in the bush. Lol
John

It's usually distractions that cause these simple but annoying problems. The one I hate is groveling around in the sawdust for that bar nut you forgot to tighten. Lol
John

If you haven't done that, put your chain on backwards or put bar lube in the gas tank, you haven't ever worked in the bush. Lol
John

i have put several chains on backwards and wonder why it wouldn't cut:biggrinbounce2::biggrinbounce2:

getting old, alzheimers or distraction

I have done similar, poured bar oil in the fuel tank on the Poulan 5400
about 20 years ago, left the fuel cap a little loose on the FS-44 weedwhip
earlier today, a flippy cap might have prevented a minor fuel loss, at least
there were no witnesses, I like pointing out to a bud that the chain is
on backwards.

I forgot totighten my oilcap today and didnt realize it until it was buries in a stump,lol poeple around but no one saw me do it:cheers:

Anyone who hasn't gassed or oiled his pants leg doesn't have many hours behind a chainsaw. It doesn't even need a distraction to do it. Some days I think I could save time by just pouring it on there instead of filling the tank first.

Harry K

That is true right there. I've probably worn mix atleast 5 times that I remember. I would be filling up 5-10 saws when we used to go cut firewood on the tailgate and it seems like someone would leave the cap off one of them and I would pick it up or the guy next to me would pick it up and one of us would end up wet. It feels real good when it's about 30 outside with a breeze.

John

It's usually distractions that cause these simple but annoying problems. The one I hate is groveling around in the sawdust for that bar nut you forgot to tighten. Lol
John

Lol, or have you tried running the saw when the chain wasn't engaged in the sprocket yet? Kinda hard on the drivers. Lol
John

I forgot totighten my oilcap today and didnt realize it until it was buries in a stump,lol poeple around but no one saw me do it:cheers:

Hi everybody , my name is Dan and I .......

:cheers:

I did that with my fuel cap three days ago. Fuel all down my leg... looked like I pee'd myself. I also shredded my jeans on a bush, clanged my head on a branch (I was wearing a helmet, but it still rung my bell), and got a few strawberries my arm carrying wood to the truck.

Firewood cutting is a contact sport!!

How about changing the car oil and forgetting to put the oil plug back and emptying a gallon of oil into the dirty oil pan, or worse onto the driveway :dizzy:

When milling I use an auxiliary oil and have on more than one occasion forgotten to turn the oiler off before putting my mill into my van - result (on more than one occasion is a pint or more of oil end up on the floor of the van. The good thing about the van is I usually toss in a bucket of fine sawdust from my dust collector to soak up the oil. Park the van slightly uphill, open the doors and hose it all out.

Last edited:
guess i don't feel to bad then with all the hours i have on saws this is my first goof up:cheers:

Latest posts

Back