I dumped gas out of a VERY low hour saw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I dumped the gas out of a very low hour saw to send it off and have it tweaked. I used a plastic dish pan to catch the gas and I was Shocked to see how much crap(sawdust) that came out. I am like crazy careful when fueling, to the point where most of you would think I was "over the top too careful" when refilling. I doubt if the cap has even been off ten times. So, where did this $hit come from, and/or how did it get in there? I KNOW it wasn't in the jug. I know this for fact. It's a Stihl 261, could it get in through the vent? I would like to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks, DW

I dumped the gas out of a very low hour saw to send it off and have it tweaked. I used a plastic dish pan to catch the gas and I was Shocked to see how much crap(sawdust) that came out. I am like crazy careful when fueling, to the point where most of you would think I was "over the top too careful" when refilling. I doubt if the cap has even been off ten times. So, where did this $hit come from, and/or how did it get in there? I KNOW it wasn't in the jug. I know this for fact. It's a Stihl 261, could it get in through the vent? I would like to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks, DW

You know, it's funny that you bring this up. We had our John Deere CS56 worked on a while back and the guy told us there was a bunch of sawdust inside the gas tank. He said he doesn't know how that stuff gets in there. Maybe it happens more than you think and would never notice it since you don't dump the gas out and catch it that often.

I just sold a saw to my old high school shop teacher a while back. He said he always washes off the oil and gas caps with a trickle of fuel mix before unscrewing them. I thought this was a great idea, but I hate the thought of wasting fuel, even if its just a few tablespoons.

After seeing what the crap in the tank of my new GZ4000 did, and seeing how fuel filters can pop off fuel line in a tank,
I suggested periodic tank dumping here. Just to clean it out.
Now, when I defuel a saw, I just dump the tank into a small clean plastic jug. Then do like 67L36... above. Fuel strainer in a saw carb is very easily clogged. DAMHIKT. Cleaning things when fueling just doesn't get it done.

I don't know how a gas filter could "pop off" inside the tank. But when I do dump gas, I use a clean container and filter it back out with a "Mr Funnel" and dump it in my car or lawn tractor.

As long as your fuel filter is on its no problem, it's a good idea to rinse the tank and change the filter regularly anyway

Sent from my GT-I9100

I think the design of the flippy caps makes it more difficult to clean both before and after fueling. ie, it's hard not to get sawdust in the tank. Maybe dumping the tank from time to time would be a remedy for that and needs to be put on the maintenance schedule. Some of the Husky caps that are somewhat recessed have similar issues. I like the design of the caps on the Stihl 017/018 series where the cap fits over the top of the threads. I don't want to cut all my wood with those however.

Latest posts

Back