I Finally Found a Use for the Orange Stihl Bar Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somesawguy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I put it on my splitter beam to lubricate the pusher plate. s:msp_unsure:

I've had a new bottle for years, but haven't even opened it. It doesn't work at all in my MS290 so I stopped using the stuff. The Blue "winter" mix works fine though.

The only saw I had that didn't like it was my 290, even with the oiler cranked all the way up it was always "short" with bar oil. All my my other stihls use it just fine.

Makes for a good Roller chain lube, and not bad for the GP oiler can either.
It's sticky enough to stay on the various bits of impliments that are stored outside, and wont fling off a low speed drive chain.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I put it on my splitter beam to lubricate the pusher plate. s:msp_unsure:

I've had a new bottle for years, but haven't even opened it. It doesn't work at all in my MS290 so I stopped using the stuff. The Blue "winter" mix works fine though.

It's because it's a 290. Oil is fine.

What kind of splitter do you have? The only lube I use on mine is paint. I can only imagine the mess of oil mixed with dirt and bark that would create. I would think it would be more of a problem than a help with all the gunk it would collect.

What kind of splitter do you have? The only lube I use on mine is paint. I can only imagine the mess of oil mixed with dirt and bark that would create. I would think it would be more of a problem than a help with all the gunk it would collect.

It's just a standard I beam splitter with a flat pusher and a welded wedge. Some of it looks homemade, some looks a little more commercial. I bought it for $200 and it worked ok for a year or two. Then the cylinder went, and everything but the pump was replaced in the hydraulics. A little lube once in awhile can't hurt, but it may not be necessary. That seems to be one of the great debates.

i'll tell ya the 290 is awesome as far as a small saw goes. i use mine for limbing and bucking up smaller logs. never once had a problem with the bar oil being "short". one of the greatest aspects of the saw is the fuel efficiency. i can cut forever on a tank. that's a big plus for hiking out and not having enough hands for a gas can and jug of oil. hating the 290 is like hating your little nephew. keep him fed and you can work him all day. little punk can stack some wood too!

Just add a little bit of engine oil (1:10) to the bar oil. It will loose it's extreme tackiness real quick and flow nice and easily.

Makes for a good Roller chain lube, and not bad for the GP oiler can either.
It's sticky enough to stay on the various bits of impliments that are stored outside, and wont fling off a low speed drive chain.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

We keep bar oil for the roller chains too. Before we used old hydraulic oil, but found it works better, and if that's one less thing to worry about when going full boar the better. Also works good on winch cables for the silo, doesn't take much either, just a dribble across when each wrap is complete.

Kyle

Personally, I don't like any kind of oil on a splitter beam, seems to serve to attract more dirt than anything else. I occasionally spray mine down with fluidfilm.

Latest posts

Back