Found some 15+ year old stihl oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowcar281

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was digging through an old trailer at work and found a few bottles of stihl orange bottle oil. Foil intact and unopened. Went to mix up some today and the oil is red! I’ve used a lot of this stuff over the years and it’s always been blue. I assume it’s still safe to use, but does anyone ever remember it being red in color ?

I’ve seen those pics, but those don’t look like any of bottles I’ve ever seen in stores before. The bottles I have look like any bottle you would buy today. Here are the pics. There is a date code ( maybe ) of 11/06 in the lower corner on the back of the bottle

Attachments

• F9EF4165-FCB9-4BF5-8C58-2533618C3375.jpeg
    F9EF4165-FCB9-4BF5-8C58-2533618C3375.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 3BE6C631-4D3C-4EBA-A3A9-B19204CFE6CB.jpeg
    3BE6C631-4D3C-4EBA-A3A9-B19204CFE6CB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 6
I shook it real good before mixing it. I mixed it with 6/10th of a gallon for my lawnboy 22261. Should be about a 32:1 mix, but I’ve used a lot of this very oil at work for the last 10+ years and it’s always been blue.
This bottle came from an old saw trailer that a clearing crew used 15 years ago. I guess whoever blended it was making it red at the time maybe. Who knows.

To test it for additive loss and breakdown put a couple table spoons in a jar, add some gas then put the lid on and shake. If the solvents or additives have evaporated or decomposed it will fall out of suspension in under a week or not mix properly at all. I learned this method after contacting a name brand oil company after finding a few quarts of their 2 cycle oil manufactured before 2014. Mine held full suspension for over 6 months in a clear glass jar kept outside in direct sunlight.

To test it for additive loss and breakdown put a couple table spoons in a jar, add some gas then put the lid on and shake. If the solvents or additives have evaporated or decomposed it will fall out of suspension in under a week or not mix properly at all. I learned this method after contacting a name brand oil company after finding a few quarts of their 2 cycle oil manufactured before 2014. Mine held full suspension for over 6 months in a clear glass jar kept outside in direct sunlight.
I've yet to see two cycle oil in sealed containers go bad. When I was younger and with little spar cash I ran some oil in my bikes that was decades old.

I've used the red Stihl oil mix. (and would not hesitate to use it today if I seen such)
I also suggest mixing with non-ethanol gas if you have access to such.

I seen a you tube video sometime back about the newer blue Stihl oil mix was suppose to help keep the carb gaskets and diaphragms alive after the gas evaporated during storage. (no white powder residue inside the carb as the gas mix aged during storage, but I store my saws where they are not exposed to excessive summer heat. I've seen saws stored in metal storage sheds and the inside of the building would get hot enough to bake bread in the summer and not a good thing for Chainsaws.

Was digging through an old trailer at work and found a few bottles of stihl orange bottle oil. Foil intact and unopened. Went to mix up some today and the oil is red! I’ve used a lot of this stuff over the years and it’s always been blue. I assume it’s still safe to use, but does anyone ever remember it being red in color ?
How are you confirming it's indeed 15 years old....i have used 2-stroke oil that was at least 10 years by the price date and sticker stamp on the bottle no problems .....but it was not stihl oil ......i have a almost new qrt of f/syn stihl come over..... you can have it .......:surprised3:

Some old oil might have RED dinosaur blood inside.

Brandon does not like fossil fuels.
New theory heard just this week says maybe NO dinosaurs involved, maybe some other renewable natural chemical process? But SCIENTIFIC FACT that a scientific THEORY was once FALSELY believed to be SCIENTIFIC FACT "that the earth was FLAT"? No telling where the politicians will take us/ world within the NEXT few years?

How are you confirming it's indeed 15 years old....i have used 2-stroke oil that was at least 10 years by the price date and sticker stamp on the bottle no problems .....but it was not stihl oil ......i have a almost new qrt of f/syn stihl come over..... you can have it .......:surprised3:

haha yea the trailer I cleaned out hasn’t been used since 2007/2008. I found a few old worn out bars and an old ms660 in pieces with a scored piston along with the oil

Latest posts

Back