I finally got my 07S!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My "Looking for an older and unique project" thread turned up several neat old saws. Among them was the 08S I've been working on, and then this 07S. It took forever to get here from Canada, but finally arrived today. I looked it over a little, dumped gas in it, and it fired right up. Wow! Great idle and throttle response too. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks like new. Now for the unbelievable part. It has just shy of 170 psi compression!!! The front handle is bent up badly. I haven't tried to straighten it. The top/rear handle is "dented", but no missing pieces. Several fins in the recoil housing are broken out. The bottom of the outer spike is broken off. One of the webs in the crankcase under the bar mount is cracked. It's not a functional issue at all. All-in-all it's a really solid saw that I could take out and cut wood with this afternoon. I can't wait to get to work on it. But I'll have to finish up the 08S first. I'll try to get some pics up later on this evening. Stay tuned for updates!:clap:

If you have some of the parts I mentioned above, please PM me. I'm not sure how much I want to replace and how much I just want to leave original. I will be painting the whole thing.

07S are good - but you'll find the wood cutting experience.....exhausting. All the weight of an 880 with less power than a 460! They vibrate too, and they are so loud. An awesome bit of kit. I have found that there is a fair bit of parts commonality with the 070 - oil feed banjo bolts, ignitions, oil cap so far. I'd offer you some of my spares...but they sound in worse condition than yours! Some ape redrilled pretty much every bolt hole in the crankcase of my parts saw to about M8....

I have two runners - one for cutting wood, one that is going to be grafted onto a Lewis Winch.

Need an IPL?

Let me tell you. This is a man's saw. Just try to look past all the dirt and grease. She won't look like this long.

262755005_sdVuF-M.jpg

262755159_QuTNw-M.jpg

262755063_qfuBB-M.jpg

262755177_iB9gR-M.jpg

262755197_zvot2-M.jpg

262755359_wu8Yz-M.jpg

I want full details on how you do the paint job :) That old stihl gray is not what is in the modern cans....

I have several Stihls of a similar age that need a lick of paint...

Edit - you like the flip down shroud? Try tuning the damn thing with that shroud hopping all over the place!

Last edited:
My "Looking for an older and unique project" thread turned up several neat old saws. Among them was the 08S I've been working on, and then this 07S. It took forever to get here from Canada, but finally arrived today. I looked it over a little, dumped gas in it, and it fired right up. Wow! Great idle and throttle response too. I pulled the muffler and the piston looks like new. Now for the unbelievable part. It has just shy of 170 psi compression!!! The front handle is bent up badly. I haven't tried to straighten it. The top/rear handle is "dented", but no missing pieces. Several fins in the recoil housing are broken out. The bottom of the outer spike is broken off. One of the webs in the crankcase under the bar mount is cracked. It's not a functional issue at all. All-in-all it's a really solid saw that I could take out and cut wood with this afternoon. I can't wait to get to work on it. But I'll have to finish up the 08S first. I'll try to get some pics up later on this evening. Stay tuned for updates!:clap:

If you have some of the parts I mentioned above, please PM me. I'm not sure how much I want to replace and how much I just want to leave original. I will be painting the whole thing.

Brad....your lack of enthusiam...really depresses me on these restoration threads of yours! ;)
(Can't wait to see the "finished product")

PS you are on the right track with the urethane products from DuPont. I've used these in my Body shop for over 20 years. (Way too expensive though)

Latest posts

Back