I finally got my 07S!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You think that's bad? This 07S was painted after assembly from the factory. I've never seen anything like it. None of the covered surfaces where painted, such as the area where the carb is, the underside of the cylinder shroud, and inside the recoil housing. Also, all the bolt heads were all painted. If you want to get technical, this saw isn't like an original unless I paint the bolt heads. I chose to clean them up and polish them a little, like the 08S was. I don't want to worry about messing the bolts up every time I have to take something apart.

I was going to comment on that.... :). None of the Stihls from this era seemed to paint the covered surfaces - it is the same on an 070 or 090, all of the case under the starter is bare metal. By the way, the screws are just standard cheese-head items - you can get them by the hundred in M5 size for not a lot.

I was going to comment on that.... :). None of the Stihls from this era seemed to paint the covered surfaces - it is the same on an 070 or 090, all of the case under the starter is bare metal.

I find it interesting that my 08S, which is a very early one, had the covered surfaces painted, an the bolt heads were unpainted. You are correct that the case was totally bare in all the igniton and flywheel area.

07, 08, well, next a 090 maybe?

When is ther 090 bug gonna hit you Brad. (don't even say it won't, or hasn't)

I can't wait for an 070, 090 or Contra to get the full treatment. They're all pretty much the same thing.

OK...as long as you send it back afterwards.... :cheers:

A little update here. I fired up the 07S a week or two ago and it would only run on choke. I hadn't messed with it since. This afternoon I took off the carb and went through it several times. No dice. It would still only run on choke. I finally decided I must have blocked off the impulse passage when I made my base gasket. So off came the jug. Sure enough. There it was blocked off completely. No wonder it wouldn't pump fuel.

For those that don't know, this saw does not have a impulse hose. The impulse goes up from the base into the base of the jug. It then enters a passage and goes through the intake block and finally to the carb. I actually like the design since there's no hose to go bad. I just wish I'd have paid attention the first time round. No biggie though. I'm just glad I figured it out without too much todo. My loss, your gain. Don't do what I did:cheers:

Last edited:
A man gave me two 07 saws and one 07s Sat., with a box of loose parts. I think I have an extra spike. I would trade it for an IPL or a repair manual if you have one. Thanks Tom

A man gave me two 07 saws and one 07s Sat., with a box of loose parts. I think I have an extra spike. I would trade it for an IPL or a repair manual if you have one. Thanks Tom

I really appreciate the offer. However, RXE already shipped me one from the UK. PM your email addy and you'll have a IPL on the way. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll do what I can to help. They are a neat old saw. The 07 has been around since '61 and the 07S since '65. They seems to be some what rare and hard to find parts for.

Back