i got funny looks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right depending on what model you have. The Harley with the evolution engine is like a Stihl ms660 both fine examples of engineering. I believe the evolution engine does have some German influence though.

I was at the Stihl dealer today looking around. So I'm looking and looking at the backpack blowers and this place is pretty big,.. well I'm not getting alot of help so I lift up the br600 to have a good looksee and the wire shelf lifts and falls back down and makes a loud bang and the sales guy comes running over :):)

I was at the Stihl dealer today looking around. So I'm looking and looking at the backpack blowers and this place is pretty big,.. well I'm not getting alot of help so I lift up the br600 to have a good looksee and the wire shelf lifts and falls back down and makes a loud bang and the sales guy comes running over :):)

See, like I said...start screwing around with displays and stuff starts getting dropped...

I agree eith the people saying ask frist. They should be able to break the saw down for you and show you everything on it with complete confidence. Finding a place that can do that can be tough we a have alot of sell and go shops. Thanks for the money and your out on your own for service.

You are right depending on what model you have. The Harley with the evolution engine is like a Stihl ms660 both fine examples of engineering. I believe the evolution engine does have some German influence though.

I'm not certain the Stihl/Harley anology holds.

Stihls are infact pretty functional..like them or not.

Harleys are fashion statements...good at what they do. Attactng attention while making noise and handling badly.

I used to sell saws and had a hard enough time selling units out of the box without having to deal with the scratch and dent models. Most people will not take a display model, they don't want one that everyone has mucked with. You want to take it apart, pay me first. After that you can do whatever you want with it. If I saw a customer doing that I would be over in a flash and removing the saw from his grubby paws. Persist and he would be firmly asked to use the door without letting it hit him on the way out. I did that on several occasions.

Not the same thing, but I've had more than one customer ask to pull something out of the box to see if it would work, which I normally allow. However, I've had them, after seeing me break the seal for the first time, not want to buy the one they looked at because it's been opened. That's enough to drive a sales guy up the wall.

Then you've got the guys that come in and look all over the one we have on display, but still want to pull one out of the box to look at it. I've come to the conclusion that people have box fetishes--they just like to open them regardless if they want or need what's inside. Half the time they don't even bother trying to put the stuff back in. People are worse than animals in a lot of ways.

Not the same thing, but I've had more than one customer ask to pull something out of the box to see if it would work, which I normally allow. However, I've had them, after seeing me break the seal for the first time, not want to buy the one they looked at because it's been opened. That's enough to drive a sales guy up the wall.

Then you've got the guys that come in and look all over the one we have on display, but still want to pull one out of the box to look at it. I've come to the conclusion that people have box fetishes--they just like to open them regardless if they want or need what's inside. Half the time they don't even bother trying to put the stuff back in. People are worse than animals in a lot of ways.

I know a guy that deals in used equipment, from mowers, to handheld stuff, to electric tools, etc..

He had a guy come in one day looking at hid array of 14" chop saws...He said he watched him as close as he could, but after 10 minutes the guy walked out saying he didnt like something about all of them...Later my guy walks over, and the SOB took the brushes out of all the chop saws..left the caps, but took the springs/brushes.

Then another guy was looking at the trimmers, and apparently walked off with all the bump knobs/spools.

Another "customer" of his cut the rope off the recoil on a stihl saw on display to get the "elasto-start" of it...

Gotta love people who want to "handle" the merchandise.

Imean, think about it..you think if you went downtown and found a hooker, she's going to let you handle the goods for 20 minutes, and take a look under her covers at her "stuff" to see if it's up to your likings? Hell no...You pay first, you do your thing...and you hope to God you dont leave with more than you came with.

actualy if i bought a saw id like one from the back room that hasnt been fondled for the last year by every jo that walks in and has to pick it and maybe drop it rub paint off it and get the greasy grubby hands all over it.

you know cabelas sells theyre display stuff at discount price that almost matches everyone else regular price.

im not sure what point im tryn to make

if you came where i work, and we found you taking a saw apart on the display, we'd ask you to leave..it's just not something you do.

Bottom line, to me...if it isnt yours, hold it, feel it, swing it around...but dont start taking it apart until you've payed for it.

Just my 0.02

+1 ! or ask at least nicely if the dealer can perform the job for you ..

I will agree that you should probably ask first, But if you can't kick the tires, why buy from a local dealer? If all you can do is look at the outside of something, why not just buy online? It will probably be cheaper and you'll have to put up with less attitude.

I open packages all the time in stores to check out what is inside. I always do so carefully and put everything back the way I found it. Slaming levers and breaking tabs is not cool either. If I find a package that has been opened by somebody else, I'll check to make sure everything is there.

Bottom line, If you treat me like a thief, I will not buy from your store. A dealer is not doing me any favors by selling me something. The consumer is doing the vendor a favor by buying it.

Handling new merchandise

I worked retail in 2-4 bicycle/ski shops. I WOULD NOT want just any joe smoe taking my bicycles down from their display hooks. We had them packed in pretty tight. We knew how to take them down without scratching, dropping, and destroying the whole display.

Any one know about the M1 Grand military rifle? The action on it is "bullet" proof. (pun intended!) The action requires one to press down with your thumb and if done wrong you can get the "M1 thumb". Well, I have a M1 Grand and know how to release the action without smashing my thumb. Well, getting to the point, I went to a military show and a guy had several military weapons there. I picked up his M1 Grand and worked the action. He was over there in a heart beat not knowing that I had it under control. I figured that I'd get that reaction. Now, if the guy knew me, he would not have moved a muscle.

Did the shop owner know how you were going to treat the saw? Did he know the saw would be put back together with all of it's pieces without being scratched? How many times has he had to reassemble a saw that someone took apart and had to dip into his spare parts to replace what was damaged or missing?

It's all a matter of perspective. You knew full well how to do what you were doing. Did the shop owner know that?

Dan

Bottom line, If you treat me like a thief, I will not buy from your store. A dealer is not doing me any favors by selling me something. The consumer is doing the vendor a favor by buying it.

Bull crap. Doing favors has nothing to do with a business transaction. No one is doing anyone any favors. When you buy something, you don't have the vendor's well being in mind at all. You either want the item or you need the item. Simple as that. Anyone who speaks of favors in a business setting has no comprehension of the nature of business.

not that its anything new. im an 80 year old logger stuck in a 25 year old body, im bound to attract some attention. but heres the story.

i stopped into the deere,kubota,mahindra,dr, bandit,stihl dealer today. being of the husqy persuasion i was curious about the stihls, especially the ones that get the most attention here. so i took the liberty of inspecting a 361 and a 441. (dont know about cancer but i still have a cold so the 361 must have been faulty)

heres where i started getting funny looks. i took the saw apart. now i didnt look inside the crank or anything that major. but i spun the bar nuts off, looked at the clutch/tensioner/oil ports/chain catch/etc. took the upper plastic off, removed the air fliter, looked at the carb, how the spark plug was in there, etc. basically i wanted to know how well the saw was designed and how easy it was to work on. you would think i was stuffin the peices in my back pack! they got all bent outa shape!

think about it from the outside a saw is a saw is a saw. it has two handles two tanks and a cuttin peice, the details are inside.

am i the only one who takes a saw apart before i buy it?

Your 80 years old, hot dayumm. I woulda said hey old man what the hell are ya doing, ya need a wrench, I like old timers myself and we have a blast here at the shop.

Read it again Tom. He's saying he's 25, but thinks like an 80 year old. :cheers:

Oh, okkkkkkkkk. Well in that case I would have pulled out my 44 from under the counter and said put that saw down before a pop a cap in ya,LOL

meez say

some one who is a potential customer should at least ask first. me i can go to local Stihl dealer and get away with way more things then most customers. it comes down to if your not know to the dealer then ask. if you are in good standing with the dealer then do want you know the dealer will let you do. my dealer lets me do quick parts repairs in his shop. in most shops you have to be a employee to go behind the mystical shop doors. the local shops are better to you the more you do business with them. if you are stranger to my local Stihl dealer you are going to be watched like a hawk:givebeer:

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back