I got myself a Dolmar 420

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl-Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have been reading and seeing that most everybody that has a 420 likes them. I decide I wanted one and I got myself one. I changed out the muffler for a noncat, I could have neutered the cat, but I didn't want to mess with it and wanted to see the regular muffler anyway. There are no baffles in it at all. I also swapped the 3/8LP b&c and clutch drum for a .325-7 clutch drum from a 5105 and a 15" oregon pro-lite. I have only started it once so far, she seems pretty snappy. Can't wait to try it out. I included pics of the new muffler. I weighed it, out of the box 10.88 Lbs, new muffler and .325 drum 10.58, b&c full of fluids 14.05. It is a little heavy for 42cc, but I don't care.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice choice, you'll be pleased with it.
My neighbour traded for one of these a year ago. We converted to 325 chain and Oregon bar as well.
It took a couple tanks of fuel and there was a noticeable improvement...give it time.

That class of saws doesn't make sence to me, when they weight that close to some much stronger 50cc saws. :deadhorse:

Niko, I have to agree with you some what. That said I have ran the 420 and there still a dandy little saw. I dont know what the price point is between it and some of the 50cc saws your thinking of though. I have a feeling that the 420 is priced quite a bit less and therefore it might make sense to some homeowners who like a quality piece that would last much longer then the Home Depot special saws. They also have good power and would make a dandy small wood saw.

The 420 is a perfect balance for firewood.
It is light enough to be nimble and small enough to toss around but has power real close to a 50cc saw.
It also is just a great little saw in its own right.
Starts REAL easy.
Runs great in limbing and small firewood.
Easy on the pocketbook!

What's not to like?

Mike

That class of saws doesn't make sence to me, when they weight that close to some much stronger 50cc saws. :deadhorse:

The weight looks to be a little less than a NE346xp and my 026 is 10.5lbs for the power head minus a little metal off the ports and muffler:hmm3grin2orange:
What is the compression and power on a 420?Is the WOT as high as the 5100/5105's?They look like a very good built saw.Have fun with your new toy or as I call them when the wife is around tools of need.

Niko, I have to agree with you some what. That said I have ran the 420 and there still a dandy little saw. I dont know what the price point is between it and some of the 50cc saws your thinking of though. I have a feeling that the 420 is priced quite a bit less and therefore it might make sense to some homeowners who like a quality piece that would last much longer then the Home Depot special saws. They also have good power and would make a dandy small wood saw.

I don't buy saws often enough to really care about the price differences, and all saws are dirt cheap in the US anyway! :cheers:

I don't buy saws often enough to really care about the price differences, and all saws are dirt cheap in the US anyway! :cheers:

Price is always relative... especially to occasional users. Why else are so many AS members combing pawnshops, craigslist and the like trying to get good user saw deals?

In the case of the PS-420, you have a saw that will last most non-commercial users their lifetime. Its small enough for limbing and big enough to buck decent firewood, pretty much what the 346XP does... and in Canadian prices at less than half the price of that 346XP.

Its not as powerful, but again it is less than half the price... and will easily last as long. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Price is always relative... especially to occasional users. Why else are so many AS members combing pawnshops, craigslist and the like trying to get good user saw deals?

In the case of the PS-420, you have a saw that will last most non-commercial users their lifetime. Its small enough for limbing and big enough to buck decent firewood, pretty much what the 346XP does... and in Canadian prices at less than half the price of that 346XP.

Its not as powerful, but again it is less than half the price... and will easily last as long. Sounds like a win-win to me.

It surely is a very good alternative to most "homeowner class" saws, and even I have recommended it now and then to those that have a low budget, and the alternatives were plastic cased saws. :msp_smile:

It surely is a very good alternative to most "homeowner class" saws, and even I have recommended it now and then to those that have a low budget, and the alternatives were plastic cased saws. :msp_smile:

Its a good alternative to far more than just homeowner and plastic cased saws.

Its basically a pro-built saw for those who don't have a need (or budget) to blow upwards of $300 extra on a same quality but more power 50cc or higher saw. :cheers:

Congrats on the new saw. The small physical size of the 40cc saws is what makes them so handy. I would like to check one out but I do not have a dealer anywhere close (the truth is I never heard of them until I joined this site.)

The new model PS-421 are just coming out in the US. I will have some this week to see how they run. They have increased the power rating from 2.0kW to 2.2kW with a new cylinder.

Back