i had to post this.....anyone see a problem with the guys in this video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all who cuts like that answer that question?

Last year I did.
Called to look at a tree job at a pre-school.
Not the same situation, but similar.
Used my 066 to piece it down.
Kids were still in the school.
So I guess I should have waited.
But I didn't.

REALLY?

how bout

*using a smaller saw, one that he can handle.

*using the saw correctly.

*bucking the tree correctly.

Thats about all, but its 99.9 percent of it. . .

I have broke all those rules more then twice.
This year!

I'm mostly concerned that someone will view this and try to duplicate their actions, with deadly results.

Could have wrapped a chain on the butt and dragged it away.

Exactly !
No need for all that work when they could have yanked from the butt of the tree and then blocked it up on the ground .

:cheers:
doesn't always work like that and if they had done it that way and it didn't work right the bandwagon riders would have stated they should have done it the way they actually did it, like I said before, I'll bet some of them have never nor will they ever be in a situation like that but they'll sure post how it should be done....

Last edited:
I will admit I never REVERSE UPSIDE DOWN CUT BEFORE!
Or HIGH BOTTOM SIDE GRAB CUT either.
But I have cut into leaners just like that to bring them down.

Oh ya!
I buck firewood at night too!

I will admit I never REVERSE UPSIDE DOWN CUT BEFORE!
Or HIGH BOTTOM SIDE GRAB CUT either.
But I have cut into leaners just like that to bring them down.

Oh ya!
I buck firewood at night too!

I was not referring to cutting a hung tree down it was the way these amateurs went about it handling the saw like they never ever even seen a saw before! And do you cut up by your head or cut where you can control it?

Don't these guys have another youtube video showing how to make toast in the tub?

At the risk of boring some of you, here is one of our own doing his thing.

From Tarzantree

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDhLp1BtiGw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jDhLp1BtiGw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

At the risk of overstating amateur opinions, watching that (op video) is like watching someone stepping over a pto shaft with the tractor running when there is no need for it. I got to see the results of that where I grew up. Not cool.

Last edited:
Here is my holier than thou, my #### don't stink approach, Hypothetical without equipment:

Buck one side off completely top to bottom more than halfway thru the diameter. You can kind of tell which side it wants to go to (left to right if at all) so you'll want to finish on the opposite side. Go to other side underbuck a little, then overbuck until you are past the pinch (throw a wedge in if you think its too effn scary) ride it until its over. That way you can stand at arms length. You could also bore the middle if you want some holding wood on the half side left before the rest. Sometimes helps to get the tip out and makes things move faster instead of pinching.

There are literally thousands of ways to handle it. If you've got the equipment handy drag the damn thing out!

I overheard a good faller and a learning faller discussing a hangup. The good guy talked about putting an undercut in, and cutting the tree so it would just "roll" out. Then he did it. But that was our nice Doug-firs.

That video East coastie tree looked, from what short shots they took of it, like it was pretty well stuck. I don't know if the secret "just roll it out" cut would work.

When chunking, it is a good idea to work where it is more comfy and perhaps put an undercut in the tree. Maybe work it like it was a leaner, but be coffeed up. That might help some.

I'm not a faller, I just buck em (up to 24.00 inches) up. ;)
I'd get somebody else to do that beast.

i overheard a good faller and a learning faller discussing a hangup. The good guy talked about putting an undercut in, and cutting the tree so it would just "roll" out. Then he did it. But that was our nice doug-firs.

That video east coastie tree looked, from what short shots they took of it, like it was pretty well stuck. I don't know if the secret "just roll it out" cut would work.

When chunking, it is a good idea to work where it is more comfy and perhaps put an undercut in the tree. Maybe work it like it was a leaner, but be coffeed up. That might help some.

I'm not a faller, i just buck em (up to 24.00 inches) up. ;)
i'd get somebody else to do that beast.

+1

I think the lesson is, if you're going to make uneccesary dangerous overhead cuts, make sure you have your protective cut off tshirt on.

bout the only better way they "might" have been able to get the tree down would to have notched the underside of the trunk and tried to "pop" the butt off the the backside of the stump onto the pavement and pulled it out of the other tree rather than try to roll it out. Not sure if it would work in that situation but I know Ive done it a time or two but not on anything even close to this large.

That's a good idea, and may well have saved them time and hazards. Plus, it would let them keep the truck (with its winch) on the pavement, so less chance of spinning the tires. Perhaps they were under orders to keep the road open at all times?

Me personally i would of chained it to my truck and drug it out, but if it was to tight i would of dropped the tree it was leaning on as well.

Lots of good responces here, except for Teddy, Bitzer and a few others. I especially like the idea of pulling the tree over backwards. Just have two guys hold the butt in place while the winch truck parks under the powerlines and pulls the top back toward itself.

Of course you can't run a saw with one hand. Nobody, especially me ever does that. Yeah the saw was too big, An 026 with an 18" bar could have done the job. It takes more strength than anyone has to run a 660 with a long bar overhead. Well I can do it and Teddy probably can but surely nobody else. And yeah it should have been posted down in little chunks cause everyone knows that a tree that diameter and length only has to fall 2 feet to clear itself. No need for long chunks, just firewood lengths because that is what this job was about.

The first cutter did a poor job because the trunk was cut through without incident and fell just as expected. I admit the second dude has some poor saw handling skills but that was because he was wearing a tank top and not a t-shirt with a saw logo on it. They both needed hard hats and chaps.

I know that everyone here on AS is an expert with large trees and has fallen blowdowns on a regular basis. It's not scary or difficult at all. A 3' or 4' dbh tree is no different from 6" tree in the dynamics. The forces are the same. Right Bitzer? The weight never comes into play. You can always back your D8 right up tp the butt of the tree and give it a yank right Randy? Then back the self-loader in and load up the trunk. I don't think anyone would have minded if the tree service drove a dozer down the street and across the sidewalk to the lawn. Heck a D10 or a D11 would be even better.

(Insert infraction phrase here)

Now the facts. These guys did a good job. The saw handling by the second cutter was iffy but he should have been taught better. The cut was made a little high (for ME) but when you post a large diameter tree, which you guys obviously have never done, you need to cut the longest length possible otherwise the the tree will bind and not fall cleanly. Cut down from the top, then cut the off side (with one hand if need be), slide the bar nose back out the front of the cut and cut lightly to the bottom. Then buck from the bottom with the nose of the bar and the tree will fall cleanly and will kick out the saw. Like the first guy did. BTW hang on to the saw.

Now collect your $2000.00 and go home and pay workers comp $85.00 per hundred. Pay dump fees. Repair the lawn.

Yep, pull the tree over backwards. I like that.

Back