I have $700, what saw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racing chain lol.

Not sure I see a purpose for skip .325 unless you want to cut really slow.:) In general .325 isn't all that great, it helps out lower powered saws, some lp 3/8 may even be better. When it comes to saws with more power and longer bars 3/8 is king, .404 has it's place too.
.325 skip is not slow, at all, quite the opposite. A 562 with a 18" narrow kerf bar, picco full chisel, 8t or 9t sprocket, an drop the rakers a touch, is a killer setup, IMO will hang up the nk setup as Im going to run the 3/8, but will use the nk and prob .325 on occasion, for fun

No harm in playing around with different type of chain and sprockets. Never seen any .325 skiptooth. I run Stihl RS .325 on my 50cc saws almost exclusively, it's good chain after you set it up right. I'd like to try Stihl 63PS on my 346, as it runs well on my 421.
20170430_150914.jpg

I like std 3/8 on a 60cc & up saw.the chain body is beefier and takes more abuse than lp or 325. 325 does have its advantages more teeth per inch and requires less power.

That's the way it looks. I'd make the switch, but I have quite a few .325 bars and chains, just not worth the cost. I have also found 63ps to not be as durable as RS.325 it does cut faster on smaller saws no doubt.
try spinning up some loops of 63PS and you'll really think its not as durable. if the factory presets are anything like what they give with the roll for making loops i can see why they break. There is almost no rivet sticking thru to be "peened" over for retaining the tie strap.

Wanted to give update on the 562. Put low top cover an air filter on it, and did get a correct picco rim sprocket and installed new bar tip for when I want to run the nk setup. I took the saw to a local service dealer and just got it back a couple days ago, they were real busy, they said they couldnt find anything wrong with it, so it still runs the same. I thought these things could just be plugged in and then reset through using a computer, software. Can they only be reset manually, with wot. Not sure what to do next, thought about trying this-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkOC0JRfYdc

20170603_162714[1].jpg 20170603_162842[1].jpg

Back