I have $700, what saw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did have a good decent bunch of saws but for most my jobs I pick up the 357 or 359, a good 60cc saw seems to work best for me. That 372xpw was a damn good saw, it was a new x torq 365 turned into the 372xpw with oem parts. I needed cash though, an the saw didnt get used a whole lot.

i thought about getting a larger XP husky, but i think my 359 is most i'll ever need
finished off cutting up large logs from a gumtree i felled the other day for firewood, just love the thing, especially with sharp teeth!

They like to bring up that you can technically cut a 34 inch tree with a 13 inch bar.:confused:

I mean technically you can cut any size tree with any size bar but short of making windows, a mess of the stump, or spending an hour on something that would take ten minutes with a 60-80cc saw and a 18-24 inch, I don't get it.

Where does that number come from? Besides a guy in a cubicle, that doesn't spend any time on a saw.

13 inch bar will turn a 34 inch stem into a 8 inch stem pretty well.

Sorry I don't understand why you want to run l.p. 3/8 it's not the correct chain for the saw. If you're just wanting to experiment, that's fine, but for real use you want to run 3\8!!

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Have you ever tried narrow kerf..I didnt think to much about it till I tried it on my 359. Cuts a lot better. Why make a thicker cut and remove more material when you dont need to, when I cut up tri axle loads for firewood a 8t sprocket and narrow kerf is what I choose.

Took the clutch drum off to confirm, it is standard 7. I know my 359 came with a standard 7 spline clutch drum as well, it was running 3/8. So it looks like its the same, it if comes with 3/8 it is standard 7 spline clutch drum, and for .325 it is small 7 spline drum.

20170513_155603[1].jpg

@DSW The thing that is stressed here is the shorter the bar, the easier it is to contorl the saw in the event of kickback.

I reread your first post, you're from Sweden.

I see these YouTube videos where the guys wear neon jumpsuits and spend half an hour making reduction cuts with a small bar to drop a medium sized tree. Is that Sweden?

An dont the 560xp's come with .325 on them
No not that I know of. .325 that most people around here use, isn't really NK chain. Not only is l.p. 3/8 narrow, its also built on a lightweight frame. You will run into chip clearance and kerf issues when running bars 20" and longer. On top of all that, you have to run around an get the right parts to be able to run the nk chain in the first place. I've run 3/8 nk on small saws, it works well enough in that application.

No not that I know of. .325 that most people around here use, isn't really NK chain. Not only is l.p. 3/8 narrow, its also built on a lightweight frame. You will run into chip clearance and kerf issues when running bars 20" and longer. On top of all that, you have to run around an get the right parts to be able to run the nk chain in the first place.

I will probably try narrow kerf, .325 and 3/8 on this saw, just as I have with my 359. Its something I enjoy doing, cutting firewood is different than cutting in the forest. 560xp come with .325, small bar mt

I will probably try narrow kerf, .325 and 3/8 on this saw, just as I have with my 359. Its something I enjoy doing, cutting firewood is different than cutting in the forest. 560xp come with .325, small bar mt
I know the 560 comes with a small mount, not sure about .325. No way would I want to run .325 on a 60cc saw, but it's a free country.[emoji106]

This is all for fun guys..I am not using this saw professionally. I do need to cut a lot of firewood, I sell it, and heat my home an garage with wood. .325 skiptooth, and narrow kerf I like to use for cutting it. I use 3/8 just as often, when I take the clutch off for a good cleaning sometimes Ill put on something different. I like trying out different setups.

No harm in playing around with different type of chain and sprockets. Never seen any .325 skiptooth. I run Stihl RS .325 on my 50cc saws almost exclusively, it's good chain after you set it up right. I'd like to try Stihl 63PS on my 346, as it runs well on my 421.

The .325 skiptooth is a oregon chain. 20JPX072G. I came across it on ebay and gave it try, cuts good. Can grab small stuff though. If I want to try out .325 on the 562 I will probably go with a stihl bar, rs chain. This the chain I got for that cannon bar http://www.ebay.com/itm/STIHL-3-8-P...808690?hash=item43d960cd32:g:CYAAAMXQzH9SHQni

Racing chain lol.

Not sure I see a purpose for skip .325 unless you want to cut really slow.:) In general .325 isn't all that great, it helps out lower powered saws, some lp 3/8 may even be better. When it comes to saws with more power and longer bars 3/8 is king, .404 has it's place too.

Back