I have $700, what saw..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im about to pull the trigger on a 562xp but a 6100 just keeps growing on me. Couple questions Im wondering about it. What kind of bar mount is on them, is it the same as a large mount husky...is the 6100 manual carb...are they hard to get parts for...what mm is the bore on a 6100...anything neat about the cylinders to know, closed port, open port, can you just bolt right on a 79cc p&c? Anything else about that saw that is good-bad.

The 79cc upgrade option is on the 6400-7300-7900 platform. Those are great, stout saws for sure! A 6400 with the small European market bucking spikes would be a great saw for your purposes of processing trailer loads of uniform logs, with the cylinder upgrade option available when the mood strikes.

2260, 562, 6100, 620 (Echo) all seem like solid choices in a new saw that will wear a 18" bar. Stihl's 362 might even make your budget, too. For used saws, you have tons of options depending on how you prioritize weight, bulk, and power of n picking a saw.

6100 is a dedicated 60cc platform that is a recent design. 6400 is a multi displacement platform with the 64cc engine being the smallest of the 3 offered. 6400 is a great design but is around a decade old but has good bolt on performance options.

Though I would definitely want a saw I could upgrade to 79cc, I would prob pick the 6100 over the 6421. But the deed is done guys, I just bought a 562xp, think it will come ups so it will be a solid week before I see it. Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I would still like to try out a 6100 and ms361, so maybe this summer if I can swing it ill still try an pick up a 6100, ms361 is definitely on my wish list.

So I did check with my local saw shop, he has the software needed for the auto tune and the m tronic, he wanted 753 out the door for one
If you're wanting a 562 then don't hesitate on it. Just make sure it's the newest version.
It's the best saw out of the box if you're into hotrod saws. 6100 a close second. The 361 needs a muffler mod and timing bump before it starts joining the group.
I was told the 562xp's I was looking at have the EL-48 carb on them, hoping it does, will see when it comes. I will be keeping the 562 unmodified, just plan to run a cannon bar with picco 3/8 and standard 3/8. I would be interested in a muffler mod on the 562, but Im just worried the auto tune will continue to use the same settings and then the saw will just run lean.

IMHO the 562 is a lost cause. Haven't had my hands on a 6100 yet but I hear very few complaints, the 6421 is a beast and can be upgraded to 79cc. The Stihl 362 is a great performer with excellent air filtration.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

The small mount would of worked better for me too, Ive got a lot of small mount bars around. I got a loop of picco 3/8 and standard 3/8 just to try them out. Do they even make a .325 bar for the 562, an parts to covert..

I would be interested in a muffler mod on the 562, but Im just worried the auto tune will continue to use the same settings and then the saw will just run lean.
It isn't able to get stuck on the same setting because it's an auto tune.
They make good gains from a muffler mod, but not the typical where your saw cuts faster and revs higher. The gain is in low end torque.

IMHO the 562 is a lost cause.
Opinions change.
The 562 has been sort of redesigned on the fly and is now a saw you can depend on. The case is sturdier, the pto bearing is larger, and they changed out the carb.

The small mount would of worked better for me too, Ive got a lot of small mount bars around. I got a loop of picco 3/8 and standard 3/8 just to try them out. Do they even make a .325 bar for the 562, an parts to covert..
I'm sure you can get a drive rim to run .325 chain, but the saw has more than enough power to run 3/8.

It isn't able to get stuck on the same setting because it's an auto tune.
They make good gains from a muffler mod, but not the typical where your saw cuts faster and revs higher. The gain is in low end torque.

Opinions change.
The 562 has been sort of redesigned on the fly and is now a saw you can depend on. The case is sturdier, the pto bearing is larger, and they changed out the carb.
Yes the one I have has all those upgrades, most of them sold in the last year in a half do, yet they still have issues.

I hope the OP likes his new saw, I'd highly recommended he opens up the exhaust to help keep things as cool as possible.

Ran my 562 a few weeks ago, still a POS when temps are warm. Still get questions every week on YouTube and here about these saws. Some guys are experimenting with rerouting fuel lines, trying new tank vents and removing the primer to make restarting easier/possible. Most just wait until they cool down.

Yes the one I have has all those upgrades, most of them sold in the last year in a half do, yet they still have issues.

I hope the OP likes his new saw, I'd highly recommended he opens up the exhaust to help keep things as cool as possible.

Ran my 562 a few weeks ago, still a POS when temps are warm. Still get questions every week on YouTube and here about these saws. Some guys are experimenting with rerouting fuel lines, trying new tank vents and removing the primer to make restarting easier/possible. Most just wait until they cool down.
The only thing I've heard with the new ones is starting them on high idle setting in warm conditions or they won't start right.

I watched this vid- . I like the idea of the saw running cooler with a muffler mod, but without having the software for the autotune how well do we really know whats going on.

Latest posts

Back