I have a busted Stihl 311Y

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almiles

Reaction score
Having problems with finding info on my saw. The sprocket is frozen. Runs fine, but sprocket won't spin...Please help!

i found this about the numer 311Y in an old post...
Tony, 311Y is a number that appears on all recent Stihl saws on compliance label. The joke is that morons on E-bay will ignore the big model number on the top of the saw and list the saw as a model 311Y. We've seen every model of Stihl saw called a 311Y but most of them look like 017's

Marty, I didn't miss is, It just left me speechless! If these people spent a little time looking up the same item they're selling, they could put on an accurate listing even if they know nothing about the saw they're selling.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. As ignorant as that sounds, it could be the hand brake. I never thought of that. I'm used to craftsman saws and the ones I've had never had a hand brake.

So does the hand brake tighten the spring like coil around the sprocket?

Thanks again!

it tightens around the clutch drum that the sprocket is on. Don't feel bad -I get at least three a week that come in the store to get the saw "fixed", and all that is wrong is the brake is on. Lucky for them we're an honest shop!

okay guys, you were right, but now it doesn't appear to be oiling...any ideas? Also, when I took the sprocket off, I know the bearing goes inside the roller and the keeper goes on the top of the sprocket, but I don't know in which order the brass colored washer goes, but none of that matters if I can't get it oiling...please help.

NEVERMIND!!!!! After reassembly (putting the retainer washer on top...dumbarse) the saw runs and oils fine. Thank you for your help

you'll do much better if you have an IPL for your saw. I just spent a couple of hours messing with carb 'cos I had a gasket on the wrong side on the air intake isolator. :eek:

Back