I hope we're half way tru winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just returned from SE Asia so I had no control on the temp in the house the last 4 months. When I looked out back to see the carnage from wind storms and our dog I noticed that she had burned almost all of the 1 1/2 chord that I had moved close to the house before leaving. It's been unusually cold here for western washington though, and it was alot cheaper than having the electrict heater run constantly. Looks like I will have to go out this weekend and bring up a little of next years seasoned wood to last the rest of this year. Guess I will have to break out the chainsaw(DARN) and go cutting early!!!

Winter Ain't Over by a Longshot

Winter did not start until December 21 or so. It's only 35 days into winter. You have 55 days to go before winter ends.

Then you need some heating fuel for at least one or two months into spring. My conclusion is that you either did not collect enough firewood last year or you live in Florida, California, southern Texas, etc.\

Please forget global warming. That's a bunch of bunk.

i have heard the thing about the ground hog seeing his shadow you get six weeks more and if he doesn't it will be 48 days. something to ponder on..lol

I've only been heating with wood for a few years but we're on track to burn over 6 cords this year. In years past we have always burned between 4.5 and 5 cords. We also just crossed the 3 cord burned mark. We still have 9 cords processed and stacked last spring or earlier, and about 2 cords in rounds that I planned to split sometime this winter to start of the 2012 wood. Now those round might end up being burned at the end of 2011 winter.

I still have plenty of seasoned wood for this year and could always break in to next years if needed. This winter has not seemed like it has been that bad yet (temperature-wise) but there is still a way to go yet.

Less than half way thru, but the first thing I did with next years load was split all my ash just in case, man it's been cold, I have not shut my stove down in 3 weeks, -2 this morning.

I have blasted through what I have close to the house this winter. I usually have wood left over in my tent but I think I am going to have to go get some from my other stacking area to finish out the winter. I guess I just got an early start on burning this season.

I've gone through 3 cords and most of it has been my shoulder season wood so far. The hickory gets used on the coldest days to be sure, but I guess I'm a bit of a wood hoarder and don't use it if I'm around to fill the OWB with lesser quality wood more often. I did drag another cord of ash deadfall out of the woods over the last week or two. No danger of running out this season like I nearly did last season.

She's been eating alot of wood this year.....I'm talking about my owb!:hmm3grin2When I woke up this morning it was -8!orange::censored:

I have about 3 cord of split seasoned left. It should be good enough to get me through the rest of the winter. I just picked up two cords of green red oak logs before last weeks storm to get started for next year.

I'm good for this year, next year and most likely the year after that. By then, I will have forgotten how to use one of those chainsaws thingys.

Ian

I was eyeing up the woodshed yesterday, we have almost burned 2 of the 5 rows we started with and I figure we are about 2/5 of the way through the season (we burn mid-November to mid-April). So we should be fine. If not I have 2 years worth cut, split and stacked but not under cover.

Same here, been eating a lot of wood this year. I'm not going to make it. Thought I had enough cut and split. If I run out I guess I'll be out there splitting some wood.

first season of burning, and burning more than I thought I would,... I'm getting down to a bunch of stumps that I couldn't split on my own...

might need to borrow a splitter soon.

Doing great!. After 30 years of burning almost nothng but Willow (6-7 cord/yr) I am now burning Black Locust. What a difference.

In the past I would fill the woodshed (3 cord) and then put 4 ricks 6x12'x16" on the porch and be into the woodshed by now.

This year I started with 2 ricks of pure locust and 1 rick of 50% locust/willow on the porch. Down to 1/4 of the last rick (50% willow/locust) today. Looks like I finish the year at about 4-5 cords burned which includes a bunch of willow from the woodshed. Be glad to see the last of that stuff!

Hope the weathr doesn't get really 'freeze out' so I'll need to dig into the 40 cords stash of B locust in the pasture :).

Harry K

lol, i dont have a owb but an insert... i have only ran through about two cords of cut up pallets.. haven't even started on the hard wood yet.... and still have three trailer loads of pallets to cut yet and more on the way.... i love free stuff...
i look at it as recycling...:computer:
how many palletsdo you see going to landfills?

Not quite halfway through all my split wood.

But I've got a 14ft trailer load of seasoned wood that is sitting covered in tarps just needing to be split if I need to dig into it. In addition to that I've got 3 rows of 18" sections also just needin to be split. Otherwise it'll just get used next year.

My old man has 180+ acres of heavily wooded land that I cut standing dead trees from. Mostly red oak, some hickory, lots of cherry and the occasional silver maple.

Last edited:
We've already had more winter here in upstate NY that we usually get in a full year. 2 days above 32 degrees since Dec 1. I'm about half way thru what I planned to burn, with most of next year's wood in the shed if necessary.

The old time farmer I worked for when I was a kid had burned wood in the same house he was born in all his life. He always said you need to have half your wood left on Feb 1. I use that as a rule and its always real accurate for me.

Tim

Latest posts

Back