I hope we're half way tru winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had around 7 cords ready. I've used about 3.5 cords since October, so I will be okay this year. I'm already thinking Spring, I have onions, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower getting ready to germinate in the basement by the furnace. I'm ready for winter to hit the bricks.

Seems like everyone I talk to has burned more wood than usual this year. December got cold early and stayed there.

I'm always a couple years ahead on wood, so guys like me just keep feeding the stove without really thinking too much about it. But folks that tend to just get what they need for an average winter are obviously concerned about running out. They're more likely to be people that buy their wood, and they have the expectation that they can just pick up the phone and order some more. But sellers I know don't have much left, and practically none of it seasoned. Everything is covered with snow and ice, which adds quite a bit of work to getting a cord cut and delivered.

I am right where I want to be this year. I planned to use 3 1/2 to 4 cords this year. So far, I've used 1 2/3. I have next year's supply in the woodshed and following year c/s/s on pallets.

Weather permitting, I'm going to cut some standing dead Red Oak this weekend. I'm thinking that will be ready by the winter of 13/14.

This is the second year we've had constant cool to cold temperatures rather than warming spells for a week or two, which is normal. I started burning wood in early November and never let the main stove go out. When it was never getting above freezing last week, I had two stoves and an open fireplace going. I believe I can burn a cord per week in the fireplace just to keep the bricks warm ! This is the first year the central heat has been permanently shut off, and my wood supply is going fast. I was down to about 25% left until today when I started cutting dried wood that has been cut down for six months to a year. My reserve pile was being sold to several people, but I had to stop when I got down to about 2/3 of a cord for fear of running out myself.

The last two winters have been unusually cold and long for this part of the world, but I like it. Our summers are so brutally hot and humid that cold air is welcome when we can get it. YMMV

I burned all of this pile already except for a half row of longer stuff in the back. That's pretty strange for a normal Georgia winter.

View attachment 169135

This is the second year we've had constant cool to cold temperatures rather than warming spells for a week or two, which is normal. I started burning wood in early November and never let the main stove go out. When it was never getting above freezing last week, I had two stoves and an open fireplace going. I believe I can burn a cord per week in the fireplace just to keep the bricks warm ! This is the first year the central heat has been permanently shut off, and my wood supply is going fast. I was down to about 25% left until today when I started cutting dried wood that has been cut down for six months to a year. My reserve pile was being sold to several people, but I had to stop when I got down to about 2/3 of a cord for fear of running out myself.

The last two winters have been unusually cold and long for this part of the world, but I like it. Our summers are so brutally hot and humid that cold air is welcome when we can get it. YMMV

I burned all of this pile already except for a half row of longer stuff in the back. That's pretty strange for a normal Georgia winter.

View attachment 169135
I burned most of this last year even tho it was'nt that cold just long and wet.View attachment 169150

furnace is eating wood like a fat kid to chocolate cake!!! I wished global warning would hurry up in Indiana...we've used about 1/3 of what I have worked up and over half of what I thought I'd need...really thought I'd have some savings come spring but it's looking bad.

Oh yeah my CB5036 is eating wood like a Fat girl, Weight Watchers dropout eats ice cream. Sunday and Monday night look to be the coldest here in a couple years
(-12F). The beauty of the OWB isthat the colder it is, the better they work. I'll likely stuff it real good tomorrow night around 10PM. Stay toasty !:glasses-cool:

Not quite halfway through the wood I wanted to use this winter. My safety stock may end up getting utilized...sure don't want to use the safety stock since it doubles as the walls to my lean-to shelter off the back of my barn. Next years is still in the woods...cut and split but 1.5 of snow makes it a little difficult to get to.

I burnt way more than i should have im starting in to my wood for next year that i cut in the spring luckly i have 8 cords cut for the next year. wont run out again

Back