i know i might regret this post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
people that like "antique" equipment drive me insane.. :) its just like farm machinery. a square bale was a wonderful thing back when they didn't have anything else, so was a horse i'm sure. but now we have round bales and big tractors that do the work, why suffer and get done half as fast for more dollars? same with saws ect. Get a new dog every 5 years so you are "sorta modern" and keepin up. it saves you in time, effort and work later

more and more i am liking the stihl line and i know this isn't chainsaws but i am looking to get another weedeater this spring. I checked the stihls and compared to something close to echo's line. the specs straight from the websight. I am looking more towards the stihl line now for everything. I know i am converting now after all the advice from everyone and my researching. Seems like echo is way over priced for what it is now. A few years ago they where reasonably priced but now they are just as much or more then stihl. Ok you guys can say " I TOLD YOU SO". but come on no dang bashing or nasty name calling like the last thread i started. Here is what i found,,the stihl has a bigger engine and weights 2 pds lighter and is cheaper. Here is the specs for both of them.
stihl
DSRP: $339.95
Distributor Suggested Retail Price
Standard Features

■Powered by a low-emission engine
■Quick, smooth acceleration
■TapAction™, 2-line AUTOCUT® head
■Lower vibration for comfortable operation
■Gearbox and guard design reduce the weight and improve comfort and maneuverability
FS 100 RX Trimmer Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 31.4 cc (1.9 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 1.05 kW (1.4 bhp)
WEIGHT* 4.7 kg (10.4 lbs.)
FUEL CAPACITY 530 cc (18 oz.)
*Weight without cutting attachment or deflector.

echo
PRICE: $389.99 QTY
FEATURES:

■28.1 cc Power Boost Vortex engine
■50% more torque than the SRM-280
■Extra heavy-duty engine vibration reduction mount and rubber over-mold handles
■Commercial-grade felt air filtration
■59", 4-layer flex cable
■ECHOmatic trimmer head
SPECIFICATIONS:
Engine Displacement (cc) 28.1
Carburetor (w/Purge Pump) Rotary-Valve Diaphragm
Fuel Capacity (fl. oz.) 21.6
Shaft Length (in) 59
Shaft Type Straight
Starting System Standard
Cutting Head ECHOmatic™
Cutting Swath (in) 17
Shield Std. SRM
Drive Shaft 4-Layer Cable
Nylon Line (in dia) .095 Cross-Fire®
Dry Weight (lb)* 13.5
Dry Weight (lb)** 12.2

One thing to bear in mind is the angle of the trimming head. On the Stihl (FS90), it is almost flat to the tube, which for me, a 5'9" guy with short legs, means if I hold the unit at a comfortable height, the front of the string scalps the ground, while the rear is up high. I have to bend over or hold my arms uncomfortably low to get a flat cut. It's great with one of those round blades (get the one you sharpen with a 3/8 picco file), so it is now a dedicated skilsaw on a stick, and I have brought the 17 year old Echo out of retirement for strimming duty.

Just something to think about. Not sure why they made the angle so low. I really like the 4 mix motor. It has torque, and it is low emission, which means low stink, esp. with Ultra mix.

Last edited:
Apples and Oranges my Friends...

Ok

Let me get this straight...

You are looking into getting something modern:D

You know once you run some modern equiptment you will realize all you have been missing for all these years :ices_rofl:

isn't that the truth:D:D

Brushcutters ain't chainsaws..............and the gap between 'modern' brushcutters and those built in the 60s and 70s is much much much greater than the that between modern and 'vintage' chainsaws. I also work on and run chainsaws for fun (and run them much less per year than brushcutters and weedwackers). That's also why you don't see many 'vintage' weedwackers and brushcutters...........they've all been ran to death through thousands of hours of use and abuse.

There's nothing fun about working on or running weedwackers and brushcutters.....and yes I have worked on and ran modern weedwackers and brushcutters quite a bit. I get quite a bit of 'trigger time' with weedwackers and brushcutters while maintaining my property. The chainsaws are very seldom called upon for that. They only come out for firewood cutting (which is funtime for me)...:laugh:

If it wasn't for 'vintage' chainsaws, well I wouldn't be into chainsaws anymore at all. Working on them for a paycheck ruined that angle for me. Modern chainsaws are just tools (like modern brushcutters and weedwackers). I have no enthusiam for modern cars, although I commute with one. The 'vintage' rides are for fun............just like the chainsaws. Haven't I 'splained all this before Ross?:cheers:

people that like "antique" equipment drive me insane.. :) its just like farm machinery. a square bale was a wonderful thing back when they didn't have anything else, so was a horse i'm sure. but now we have round bales and big tractors that do the work, why suffer and get done half as fast for more dollars? same with saws ect. Get a new dog every 5 years so you are "sorta modern" and keepin up. it saves you in time, effort and work later

Wow. You are easily driven insane. Happy to be of service. Do muscle car and vintage bike nuts get yer goat too? How about rodeo folks? The oldies station freak you out? Must be hell living in a free country. Don't you worry none. There's plenty of yahoos in all levels of government who think like you do..............and are doing their best to make sure that folks like me won't bother you no more...:D

Last edited:
To me, Stihl whackers should not be considered in the same way one would look at their chainsaws. Why not have a look at the Shindaiwas before you make a decision. You'll be glad you did.

I have no enthusiam for modern cars, although I commute with one. The 'vintage' rides are for fun............just like the chainsaws. Haven't I 'splained all this before Ross?:cheers:

Wow. You are easily driven insane. Happy to be of service. Do muscle car and vintage bike nuts get yer goat too? How about rodeo folks? The oldies station freak you out? Must be hell living in a free country. Don't you worry none. There's plenty of yahoos in all levels of government who think like you do..............and are doing their best to make sure that folks like me won't bother you no more...:D

:clap::clap:

I am actually suprised to see you drive a modern car. I just invision you driving around in either
A. a VW bug, not one of these stupid new ones.
B. A muscle car from the 60's or 70's.
C. a Model T,
or D. a Horse and buggy.

Sorry Aaron, I like jerking your chain

For some people, efficiency and time are not the only factors. Run an old MAc or Homey, and the sound is an experience unto itself. Huh? What was that? Speak up, sonny, I didn't quite catch that last bit."

I looked at a 1958 Harley panhead Duo-Glide the other day. The od stuff is way cool.

Another FS-110 owner checking in. I am very happy with that trimmer. I have heard some complaints about fuel mileage on the 130. I think the 110 is probably the perfect balance, as mine seems to get plenty of work done between fill ups. I like the Stihl bump-head just fine.

:clap::clap:

I am actually suprised to see you drive a modern car. I just invision you driving around in either
A. a VW bug, not one of these stupid new ones.
B. A muscle car from the 60's or 70's.
C. a Model T,
or D. a Horse and buggy.

Sorry Aaron, I like jerking your chain

No worries Ross. I knew what you were up to. I was mildly surprised by the responses from a guy that doesn't know me like you do (and hasn't had the 'modern' vs 'antique' back and forth that we've had). No big deal. He's not "driving me insane" by any means. I could never be this eccentric without having a thick skin!:D

I commute too long a distance to exclusively drive 'vintage' iron. I did put 12K on my '74 Scout in one year back in 2005 or so. I'd own a Model T as a toy if it was financialy feasable. Same for a '60s muscle car. I do tinker with old trucks (4WD IHC Scouts and Pickups) and use 'em for camping, hunting, and other 'rough' work. Can't see beating the piss outa a $40K+ 'modern' rig. Ca smog regulations and registration fees are outa sight for modern stuff too. When I'm able, I'll certainly have some 'antique' farm machinery (looking for an International 300 Utility) that will do everything I need done on my property...:cheers:

Last edited:
I have the FS 200 with the brush knife & it cops a lot of abuse keeping the walking tracks open on my 2 properties. It constantly has to cut its way through the trunks of small shrubs & I keep expecting to break the shaft but it keeps on going.
Even shattered the blade when I hit a rock & still did not break the shaft!

Probably a bigger model than you want to purchase but if the FS100 is half as good as my FS200 then I reckon go for it.

Tanaka

Out in the shed now and I forget the model number, but I picked up a tanaka pro grade for around half this price you are looking at a few years ago and it is a beast. Starts with one *slow* pull, no foolin' a slow pull. Runs .095 titanium core like a dream, or they have a circular saw blade attachment for like little saplings.

When I was shopping for one I went to the mechanic at the shop, not the sales droid, said which model here comes in the least..he showed one that had twice as big a gear knuckle as their other ones. If you want the real model number I can look tomorrow, but that was really the clue, the wrench said "look, these gears here are twice as large, they just don't break and all the engines are great, so get this one" Along those lines. It wasn't even the most expensive one they had either, but I have been well pleased with it after going through a variety of other brands. (have not owned a stihl trimmer though, but for four hunnert clams, that one should be good as well, I was pushing it going 200 for the tanaka)

Years and years ago I had a tanaka bicycle motor, bolted on the front forks, what fun! Wish I still had it, reliable as all get out, 20 MPH and 200 MPG, plus obviously you could still pedal the bike. A moped you could still shoulder and climb the stairs with (when I first got it I had an apartment). It got ripped along with some other stuff out of a storage locker I had...rats....

This last go -around with the saws, I was sorely tempted to buy a tanaka saw mail order because I was so pleased with my two previous tanaka small engine things(and neither one required any voodoo breakin shenanigans or carb tweaking) but no one local here carries them, and I kinda sorta want to "feel the weight" before I buy something like that. I got a deal on my echos, so that was that, craigslist local.

---whut the heck, ain't that cold out and I own a flashlight..just went and looked, model # TBC 2501

I bought a FS90R at a pawn shop for $150 when I moved into my house and figured if it gave me a few years of quality service I would be happy. It has seen 2 summers of use now both trimming grass and cutting saplings with a brush blade and has performed beyond my wildest expectations. It absolutely sips fuel, I can trim around everything in the yard on half a tank of mix, and when clearing the saplings I have to take a break long before it needs more mix. When is dies it will be replaced with another Stihl 4-mix trimmer without a doubt. But, creamsicle OPE is my flavor of choice and this was just my $.02.

I would wait and see what comes about on ebay before spring.... I am an echo man myself but i also like the hitachi and tanaka equipment....

Weed eating causes lots of dust. I got FS550 only cos couldn't get big Jonsered or Husqy at the time. Its a great performer until you realise how fast it clogs the air filter. Can't beat that turbo air conditioning.

4 years ago I bought an echo srm230 and have been using it 3 to 5 days a week from mid February to mid November each year and haven't had to do a thing to it but replace the plug and filters so my answer is buy the echo...

plus the fact that you can order your own repair parts online and do all the repairs yourself, try that with a stihl...

I have a FS110R myself and love it:heart:. I wouldn't do the FS100RX because if you ever decide you want to put a blade or some other attachment on you can't, where you can on the FS110R. Also resale value would be more and easier if you ever decided to sell down the road.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2V2f4EbW1g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2V2f4EbW1g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back