I know you think I'm nuts but

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is an easy way of doing one of those palms, other than getting someone else to do it. Ladder to the top, hook up a life line and work your way down. Your life line don't get snagged if you set it right.

Ekka said:
$500 USD a washy ,,, I dont care if they're tall as Empire State, I'm going.

Time to "clean up" :hmm3grin2orange:

Jst get 1/2 dozen Mexicans cleaning the crap up under ya!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ya i do those with a lift or price em high NOWAY IM CLIMBING that crap for less than 500

Looks like you had fun that day Ekka.gotta love when they catch yer arm and hang like a boat anchor.

climbingwomdat said:
there is an easy way of doing one of those palms,

Yeah, though I've never done more then touch a palm, I keep thinking there has to be a better way to get up one then gaffing.

At least he's leaveing some of the rachis and not gouging the trunck.

Can you gaff up the safely using the dried rachis only, not getting into the ?

Unlike most monocots, palm stems can grow in girth by an increase in the number of parenchyma cells and vascular bundles. This primary growth is due to a region of actively dividing meristematic cells called the "primary thickening meristem" that surrounds the apical meristem at the tip of a stem. In woody monocots this meristematic region extends down the periphery of the stem where it is called the "secondary thickening meristem." New vascular bundles and parenchyma tissue are added as the stem grows in diameter.
All text material & images on these pages copyright © W.P. Armstrong
http://waynesword.palomar.edu/wwstaff.htm

I was wondering about that, the original post I thought said "Washington Pines" but then again I've never heard of a Washington Pine. Should've been tipped off by "fronds". That sounds completely impossible to trim a palm with a rope saw. Not that anyone needs convincing. Good luck with it.
-moss

moss said:
I was wondering about that, the original post I thought said "Washington Pines" but then again I've never heard of a Washington Pine. Should've been tipped off by "fronds". That sounds completely impossible to trim a palm with a rope saw. Not that anyone needs convincing. Good luck with it.
-moss

Yep. That was a slip of the pen/finger of mine in the first post. Imagine how handy I'd be juggling saw, branch, safety rope, and almost total inexperience 80 feet up a palm tree if I can't handle a simple keyboard and a brain.

BTW. These palms are about 100 ft high. If I had a ladder long enough I might give it a try. I shouldn't, because I'm not good with heights. I like em too much and get delusions of indestructibility. One whiff of Kryptonite and I'd be a goner.

I was on the lookout point above Yosemite valley once and the edge pulled me like a magnet. Do real tree men get that feeling ever?

Yep...

sgrib said:
Yep. That was a slip of the pen/finger of mine in the first post. Imagine how handy I'd be juggling saw, branch, safety rope, and almost total inexperience 80 feet up a palm tree if I can't handle a simple keyboard and a brain.

BTW. These palms are about 100 ft high. If I had a ladder long enough I might give it a try. I shouldn't, because I'm not good with heights. I like em too much and get delusions of indestructibility. One whiff of Kryptonite and I'd be a goner.

I was on the lookout point above Yosemite valley once and the edge pulled me like a magnet. Do real tree men get that feeling ever?

Ya gotta love the feeling and cradle it to pass through it, keep runnin from it and it will keep chasin ya...

sgrib said:

All humans are afraid of heights to a certain extent, we're ground creatures after all. Anyone who works at height had to get used to it when they started and many have to continue to get used to it. Over time you gain confidence in your gear, technique and judgement. See if you can find a rec climbing course or a good climber to teach you. Build your skills and you'll start to see how it would be possible to safely do some of your own pruning work and have fun being up in a tree.

Forget the ladder on a palm, that's for experienced climbers. A ladder on a tree is the most typical way for a homeowner doing tree work to hurt themselves. If you flip the ladder off the trunk there's nothing to catch it. It's much more dangerous than putting a ladder on the side of a house.
-moss

Thanks Moss. Nutcase though I am, I do recognize sense when I hear it or read it. I'm grateful to be brought down to earth the easy way.

Latest posts

Back