I must going about it all wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkpoor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been noticing people other than myself seem to only want firewood if its nice perfect rounds straight with no crotches.
I seem to get all the knarly twisted cut, bad angles, too long, too short or just plain huge stuff. Unless I go to the woods and cut myself. Even then I don't waist wood, I generally use it all down the the sticks.Sunday a guy seen me loading some wood on the roadside and said he had some for me. When I went to look at it all he had was a 5' diameter nasty twisted maple but log. I said where is the firewood and he replied right there. I said that ain't firewood, thats trash. I also pointed out he let every tom #### and hairy take all the stuff they could pick up and throw in their truck without thinking ahead to what will inevitably be left behind. He said well its free. I said then find another sucker to come and get it. He will end up paying to have it hauled away.
I'm starting to realize if someone has some wood left over from tree cutters its not going to be worth the aggravation and trouble. Even if its all there the way they cut things up just about ruins it for firewood.

Hm, 5' diam maple? Perfect 'no-splitting' burnables, I'dda had that in my truck in two shakes for da 10 mins it'd taken, hey, free is free imho!

:cheers:

Serge BURNIT!

The tree guys don't usually care if the cuts we make produce good firewood. We cut up the tree to get the job done; to make the wood manageable.

If we wanted the firewood, we would take it with us and put it in our own firewood pile. So we just hack it up to size, and let the firewood guys fight over the pieces.

I see you have a 395, buck the wood and then "split" it with the saw. Works good, I have done it many times. I hold my 395 (with a wrap handle of course) upside down so it doesn't clog.

i think you're nuts.

the knotted twisties burn the best IMO.my splitter splits 'em just fine.i also agree with clearance,get the 395 out and rip them up.i use my 395 for that more than i use it for tree work.

Hm, 5' diam maple? Perfect 'no-splitting' burnables, I'dda had that in my truck in two shakes for da 10 mins it'd taken, hey, free is free imho!

:cheers:

Serge BURNIT!

Uhhhm, I think that was a 5 foot dia LOG. Sprig, I gotta hand it to ya, your a better man than me to cut and load that on your truck in 10 minutes.

By the time I was to get my tractor loaded up and over to the site and then go back and get the dump trailer over there then spend who knows how long cuttin up the thing just small enough to get it in the trailer I will have burned up good part of a day. Didn't seem hardly worth it to me. This thing was so large a rubber tire backhoe couldn't begin lift it.

The gnarled ones with the knots seem to burn rather well, they just don't look pretty or stack too well, you just toss them on top and let the dry out on top. The bigger stuff is a pain, but high yields make for shorter trips and hassle.

Methinks Sprig is a might confused on feet and inches, or else they do things differently in B.C. :clap:

feet = '
inches = "

The tree guys don't usually care if the cuts we make produce good firewood. We cut up the tree to get the job done; to make the wood manageable.

If we wanted the firewood, we would take it with us and put it in our own firewood pile. So we just hack it up to size, and let the firewood guys fight over the pieces.

true.

many times i've grabbed wood from the tree guys and they just don't cut like wood burners do. but, hey, it's free and i don't complain.

if i want my ends all nice and square, i'd cut them that way. but, since they're just going in the fire, i could care less how neat the ends are. i don't think the fire minds either.

Hm, 5' diam maple? Perfect 'no-splitting' burnables
Dang Sprig! You must have the largest wood burner in the world and what?....A large trackhoe to load it with.
This ain't my first time around the block. I've been gettin left overs from the tree trimmers for yrs now. My neighbor realized some time ago it didn't make good use of his time to go after it for all the reason I stated. Its basically a time issue. The time you spend fussin with all the problems associated with tree trimmer wood you could go to the woods and bring home better wood for less. About the only thing yard trees are good for is beauty and shade. They don't make good lumber/firewood and then there is all the metal you find in them while sawing.

dont take many 5ft blocks to make a truck load of wood.150 normal size quarters will make a good heaped up load on a full size long bed pick up.A 5 ft block would probably make at least 30 or more nice size chunks.I like cuttin the big stuff,you can stand in one spot and get 3 loads of wood,compared to walkin all the woods and carryin 4inch wood a half mile to the truck

Dang Sprig! You must have the largest wood burner in the world and what?....A large trackhoe to load it with.
This ain't my first time around the block. I've been gettin left overs from the tree trimmers for yrs now. My neighbor realized some time ago it didn't make good use of his time to go after it for all the reason I stated. Its basically a time issue. The time you spend fussin with all the problems associated with tree trimmer wood you could go to the woods and bring home better wood for less. About the only thing yard trees are good for is beauty and shade. They don't make good lumber/firewood and then there is all the metal you find in them while sawing.

Yep I understand what your saying wk,

There comes a point of diminishing returns on the time, gas, chains, wear and tear on the saws, your back etc..required to mess with it. That's a bit over the top at 5 foot. Believe I'd leave it alone too.:cheers:

Hi, my name is Windthrown and I am a firewood ho'...

Hey, we burn just about any kind of wood in the OWB here. Rotten, buggy, pithy, rotten crotchy, wet, dry, green, brush, big, small, scrap, crap, chips... sawdust and paper and cardboard too. The OWB takes nice fat and long logs too, so no beed to split too much. I typically cut firewood to 24 inches long and only split 18 inch diameter and over logs in two, and 24 inch and over logs into three or four logs.

That said, I will pass up pine, cottonwood, grand fir, willow and sycamore unless it is on this property and needs cleaning up. Half the time those trees go onto burn piles though. I much prefer oak and madrone, then doug fir, maple and alder, then 'other'. Right now I am cutting oak snags that are mostly barkless. Nice dry good burning firewood, as the heating season is stretching into May here this year (had snow here last week!). Gone through the 10 cords we have cut up and seasoned last year. Looks like a 12 cord heating year here.

I read in the local paper the other day that people around here are VERY angry with the power company and the size of the heating bills this year!

Back