I need a bigger saw. 357xp or 372xp.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend a Stihl 460. It's a good saw, you can get parts, and it will still be around and running in years to come.
If you are dead set against Stihl, buy the 372, you'll be happy, and not have owned a Stihl, you'll probably think you did alright.
Open the phone book and look at tree services. Call and ask what they run.
Enough said.

As stated there is quite a bit different between the husky 357xp and the 372xp. I own both of these saws. So I can give you a rundown on my thoughts.
The 357xp saw works best with a 18" bar, a 20" bar will work not nearly as effecient as a 372xp with a 20" bar. The 357xp is a good running saw, but should be concidered a smaller performance saw intended for smaller jobs. Should mention on the 357xp its compact size makes it difficult to remove and install chains, the side cover comes off easy, but getting the chain behind the clutch drum on the drive sprocket and on the bar is NOT nearly as easy as on the bigger saws.
On the 372xp the chain drive sprocket is on the outside of the clutch drum, and makes removing and installing the chain a very simple task. The 372xp is a heavier saw, it will run 20" and 24" bars very easy, and is a excellent well designed chainsaw.

seeing you already have a smaller size saw, I would recommend you get the husky 372xp chainsaw for what you want to do. If you end up owning a husky 372xp saw you will be very pleased with it, both power wise and the mechanical design of it.

357xp specs
4.4 HP
weight w/o bar & chain 12.1 lbs
chain pitch 3/8"
My comments: My older husky 262xp will out cut this saw, difficult to install/remove chains, best used on smaller jobs with 18" bar, runs excellent and has very good power for being a smaller size chainsaw.

372xp specs
5.4 hp
weight w/o bar & chain 13.4 lbs
chain pitch 3/8"
My comments: This saw has plenty of power to handle a 20" or 24" bar, even 32" if need be. You need to remember this is a bigger size saw and the rotating mass (crank and connecting rod) is heavier, and this gives plenty of engine torque for those bigger jobs. Its a breeze to change the saw chain, you could do it in complete darkness, its that easy to swap the chain. A very well engineered saw.

Final comments: On the smaller size performance saws such as the 357xp and 346xp, you need to keep in mind the mounts in the saw cant handle the leverage it takes to run bigger bars, and the lighter rotating mass of the crank and rod dont offer enough engine torque to run bigger bars in hardwood.

Good luck what ever you decide..................

I have been a diehard Stihl man for 20 years. I have the 020T, 024, 028, 034, 039, 064, 066, and 084. As Rocky stated, all these saws except for the 020T and 084 (which you can pump add'l oil manually, do not provide enough oil. After getting my Dan Henry PP346XP, I am about to switch to Husky. My next one will be a PP372XP.

Smart man.I would'nt give a second thought to having not purchased a Stihl.The 372xp is a versatile saw.I have a 20"(050 gauge 3/8 pitch 72lp)on mine but it could handle up to a 28" I think without a problem.

The most important difference in my opinion between Husky and Stihl larger saws is the oilers.Stihl has handicapped their larger saws with anemic oilers and more and more users are becomming aware of this fact.

Enjoy your 372xp.It was designed for sawing wood not increased bar sales.

Rick

Interesting, I have never had a single issue with a Stihl oiler. I never had a chain wear out from lack of oil, don't seem to have any loss of power, and if I save a few drops of oil from being spilled into the environment without any cost, why not.
Perhaps if you are running a saw mill with a big bar, then just add the high output oiler.

Mike,

I think that you are happy with your Stihls because you have not run a Husky! Guess that you don`t know what you are missing, LOL. :D

Actually Stihl and Husky(Jonsered) are still the best across the board brands but I and too many others feel that Stihl has been slipping.

Andy,

I believe that you made the best choice given that you already have the 353. The 357 is too close in weight and cost to the 372, but not stock horsepower, to give you a good step up.

If you are going to use Oregon bars and chains I`d go with the PowerMatch Plus and 72LG chain. Since you are starting out fresh, why not go with the .050 gauge instead of the slightly less common .058?

Russ

Some members seem to think that Stihl is the "
"Be all and End all " of chainsaws. I will kindly disagree with that, thank you! If I didn't have so many saws in my stable now, A 372 would definitely be there. Stihls, IMO, can't come close to Husky in terms of smoothness and value. Just look at this link!

Husky Deals

Last edited:
We ran Husky for years and slowly switched over to Stihl. Every once in a while a Husky will work it's way into the stable, but doesn't stay long.
I look at it a bit differently because I don't buy most of the saws I use, so price isn't a factor, although my personal saws are mostly Stihl.
Husky is a good saw, if it's from the pro line, jsut like Stihl, but I think they don't take care of their dealers. The add just posted shows that anyone with a computer and a website can be a Husky dealer and sell the saws for pennies above cost. That's good for Jonny saw buyer, in that he gets a low price, but stinks when he trys to get it fixed 'cus nobody wants to be a Husky dealer.
The only 3 Stihl saws I would normally pick up are MS200T, 460, and 660. What saws does Husky offer to match those?
Ms200t vs Husky 338, no brainer the Stihl rocks.
Ms460 vs Husky 372, not as strong, won't last as long.
Ms660 vs Husky 395 another no brainer.

I agree with Mike on the choice of the MS200T and 660, and on a really big saw, the 088. Those are the best saws Stihl makes. Can't comment on the 460, since I never ran one. I do have a lot of experience with the Stihl saws between the MS200T and 460, and for that size, the 346XP can't be beat. I think you need both brands. My new lineup will be the keeping my 020T, MS200T, 066 and 084. Get rid of my 024, 028, 034 and 039. I already have a PP346XP. I will add a PP372XP.

well im an stihl man my self.. but imean older stihls..i cant imagine,, improving the 372 [other than having it modified..]
im an stihl believer because i dont like to have to fool with the saw when im working.. as to whether the new stuff is as good wont matter to me as ive got my lineup and they all do their job well. just like any successful team does..the team will i think be still doing its part when the coach is nolonger able to do his job. but hell nothin last forever..:) :)
guess i should mention that the 372 pp is the best in my opinion of the lot .. all good saws tho..

I run a 372 w/ 28" bar(personal saw). @ work we use a 460 w/ 24" bar. I turn better rpm with 372 every time I start that saw. I do not have a larger saw for myself-the longer bar is on there for a little ease in flushing stumps...the saw has no problem pulling that much chain through the largest pieces of wood. IMO 372.

Well,
I am gonna catch some S#i& for this.... But I really like my stihl 044's. They are awsome saws for just about any application. I have run a 30 inch bar on them in red oak with full skip chain and the cut great. I also have a 371xp that I have never cut with anything larger than an 20 inch bar. Its a nice saw and cuts with less vibration than the 044's do.

Around here our Husqvarna dealers are Sears and Lowes. they don't have anything bigger than the 359 and it's hard to find one set up right. BS

Lots more power, faster throttle response, and easier to throw around
You kidding? It weighs more, makes slightly more HP, cost $100+ more and doesnt have no where near the record of being reliable that the 44 does.
BTW A factory dual port muffler 44 will cut as fast or better than the 460 all the while weighing over a lb less.

FWIW a Dolmar 7900 will spank a 460 bad while weighing the same as a 440. It aslo cost about the samer as a 440.

Back