I need a chain to stand up to dirt.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i got the 100 dollar version.

i like it.

is it GREAT? no, but it is a heck of a lot faster then hand filing, and i have learned a lot with it.

sounds weird, but i've learned to use the flex in the grinder to finish up each tooth.

after probably 50 grinds, the grinder is still better then i am.

Awesome...ya that is the one i have been looking at...Northern Tool has it on sale right now for 89.99 plus shipping...

i think i am gonna get it.

What do you mean flex though??

It's going to sound stupid, but what about powerwashing the logs? Just run through the car wash on your way home.
Haven't read the whole thread yet but this sort of idea has great merit imho, just get one of those 'turbo-pumps' even, the kind that attatch to yer garden hose, and wash as much of the **** off as you can. (oh, please don't think about high pressure (like over 2-300lbs pressure) as you'll end up imbedding more stuff than you want, you want to wash it off eh! And, if ya something pumpin' 2000lbs might as well just strip the bark off lol). I have been battling sandy, gravel imbeded, dirty, crappy, nasty logs, all summer, short of a carbide tipped chain there ain't alot you can do except sharpen a whole bunch. I'm using RMs or RS (gah! I forget lol) semi-chisel .325 and quite frankly spend a fair deal of time with a bristle brush before even thinking of cutting, checking for imbedded rocks etc., it really suxors, but short of throwing the logs into the ocean for several weeks I have no choice. Now my wee blather is over I'll read what the rest have ta say the sit down to a good crow pie :D

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Ya i agree with the normal "general" setting on a power washer...it would definetly rip the bark or most trees.

Now i am not familiar with the attachment...but if it works it works.

I have a power washer and put the "light" setting...the one for washing cars and stuff like this...it takes all the dirt right off...

Although if you dont already have a power washer...then your attachment to the garden hose is the way to go. I agree 2-300 lbs of water pressure will take most dirt and other gunk off

At the one sawmill I worked at all the logs were powerwashed. If its sand your dealing with then a powerwasher will work but if its embedded stones you can see then you need to use a axe and chop off the bark. Allot of work and usually not worth it. For me if the wood has been skidded I won't cut it. If its been moved with a excavator its cleaner but skidded wood the dirt is embedded into the bark. The Woodmizer mill owners will not cut wood that has been skidded. Skidding wood isn't a practice used much on residential landclearing.

A power washer something in the 3000-4000 PSI range which is standard issue with a rotary nozzle will clean the logs good. The rotary nozzle has some force and will peal the bark or what ever.

For the money spent renting or buying a powerwasher are you really saving any money cutting this wood ?

I have one Stihl carbide chain and it is the cat's arse.

At $100 for an 18" loop, that's all I could afford, but it really, really resists dulling when cutting sandy wood. I was scrounging a lot of wood from a right of way that was cut a while back and it was more or less pushed into a pile by dozers. That stuff was so dirty that I couldn't even make 1/2 doz cuts before my chain was toast.

For that same crap, a carbide chain will last all day. Pretty impresive stuff, I ended up buying 3 more for the line crew that I work with, they're great for cutting off creosote hydro poles.

Chipper chain,if you can find any,works best for dirty wood .Semi chisel is second best.

You guys have it all wrong don't turn the pressure washer down turn it way up and put your 0degree tip in and cut the wood with it :givebeer:

Haven't you seen that waterjet tool on American chopper??

water cutting

I worked at a military cannon factory and a super fine water jet did a beautiful job of cutting steel.I know the psi was WAY UP THERE !!!!!!!

Chain grinder at Bailey's

O really...

dang...didnt no they were that bad...i have assumed it, and that has been the reason why i never got one...i have been saving up for the Oregon 511A...

but for now continue by hand...

what about the hand one from stihl...that connects to your battery...ever use it??

Bailey's have a great chain grinder , a chinese copy of the Oregon 511A , I got mine from Notherntool , $89.00us and I live in Australia , the Oregon 511A is about $700.00au over here , the chinese copy is great . Cheers MM

How bad? BAAAADDDDDD.... It is mostly plastic and the guides aren't stable enough for good alignment. You will get horrible consistency results and grind areas on your chains that weren't meant to be ground. It LOOKS like some of the better sharpeners, but sure doesn't operate like one! Thankfully, I only used it on one chain before taking it back.

I concur..........garbage......one chain.

Back