I need a larger chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 500i is junk unless you get it ported, it's lightweight but uses a ton of fuel, and filter gets dirty quickly and if your wood is really hard and cuts powdery if dry it'll get inside the carb.. it's also awfully expensive.. for that price I'd get a 592 and call it done, 592 makes gobs of power and if you can get around the weight difference it's great. Tank of fuel typically lasts twice as long as the 500 (or more) and filter is much better. They had issues at husky with the 1st years saws but they've been fixed. Even a ported 572 or 372 puts out more power than the stock 500i and costs couple hundred less all told. But if money is no object and weight is top concern gotta get that 500i ported if that's what you choose (or try it with the 400 first they gain real nicely) just my 2 cents as I own a 550xp 572xp and 592xp and have ran the 500i both before and after my cousin had it ported.
How can it be junk when it has the highest power to weight ratio of any stock saw? And the idea that it uses more fuel than other saws is hogwash. It goes through a tank faster, to be sure. But it actually cuts more wood per unit of fuel than other saws I have used, as it cuts much faster. For example, my previous saw was an MS441C, and I would cut about 45 minutes per tankful. I get only 35 minutes with the 500i, but I get substantially more wood cut in 35 minutes with the 500i than I did in 45 minutes with the 441C.

Where'd you find a 500 that cheap, Madsens is the only place that comes close to that AFAIK. My dealers price is 1670 before tax, around 1800 out the door for a standard 28
$1690 list in Wisconsin, plus STIHL's $30 Marketing Advantage Program charge to the dealer + tax/title/license... comes to about $1,805 total.

500i_list.png

UNLESS you regularly buy STIHL HP ULTRA oil from them, then it's a few pesos over dealer cost...
😄

$1690 list in Wisconsin, plus STIHL's $30 Marketing Advantage Program charge to the dealer + tax/title/license...$1,805, unless you regularly buy STIHL HP ULTRA oil from them, then it's a few pesos over dealer cost... 😄

View attachment 1124193
I've got some property up in Northern WI, Gordon to be exact. Every time I'm up there, I'm tempted to drive up to Canada and pick up a saw or two. My 151 is about $500USD in Canada, 500i is $1470USD after tax up there

Just while we are in to filling pages with price compares- here is what we pay.

MS 500i Chainsaw 20" Bar Petrol ChainsawWas $2,755.00*Now $2,396.00**
MS 500i Chainsaw 22" Bar Petrol Chainsaw$2,755.00*
MS 500i Chainsaw 25" Bar Petrol Chainsaw$2,785.00*
MS 500i Chainsaw 25" Lightweight Bar Petrol Chainsaw$2,835.00*
MS 500i Chainsaw 28" Bar Petrol Chainsaw$2,885.00*

Thanks for everyone that replied. I bought the MS 500i with a 25” light bar.
I have the Eagan (EPS) air filter on the way.
I don’t plan on doing any other mods and will just leave the saw stock.
I was looking at a muffler mod for the 400 and 500 but I don’t want to deal with the added noise. I already have hearing loss, and don’t want to use double hearing protection while running a chainsaw that I’ve seen people suggest when going with a different muffler. They are already loud enough even when using the ear muffs on the helmet with the stock muffler.

I can’t wait to run it after that air filter arrives.

Thanks again folks.

Congrats! You'll love it.

Love my 500i, puts a smile on my face every time I run it.

I got the chance to briefly run a 500 Saturday with a 32" light bar, its a nice saw but it just doesn't have the anywhere close to the torque of my 066. It was really light for the power and felt smooth in the hands though, it just shouldn't cost more than a 661 IMO
It is not designed for torque…never was.

Thanks for everyone that replied. I bought the MS 500i with a 25” light bar.
I have the Eagan (EPS) air filter on the way.
I don’t plan on doing any other mods and will just leave the saw stock.
I was looking at a muffler mod for the 400 and 500 but I don’t want to deal with the added noise. I already have hearing loss, and don’t want to use double hearing protection while running a chainsaw that I’ve seen people suggest when going with a different muffler. They are already loud enough even when using the ear muffs on the helmet with the stock muffler.

I can’t wait to run it after that air filter arrives.

Thanks again folks.
A simple “dual-port” mod doesn’t increase the noise that much. The Bark Box? Loud? O hell yea! I’m thinking of replacing mine with my basic modded front plate.

$1690 list in Wisconsin, plus STIHL's $30 Marketing Advantage Program charge to the dealer + tax/title/license... comes to about $1,805 total.

View attachment 1124193

UNLESS you regularly buy STIHL HP ULTRA oil from them, then it's a few pesos over dealer cost...
😄
Bane-Welker farm equipment, Wilmington, OH. I have a suspicion the salesperson looked up the wrong price. I bought the Stihl ultra oil to get the extended warranty, but I don't use it. I use Amsoil.

Back