I really want a new Stihl MS462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parkerpusher

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Except for my climbing saw and a few cheap beaters, and one old Homelite Super1050, all my work saws have been huskies.
Currently running:
201t
550xp
562xpg
390xp
395xp

I don’t need another saw.

I also have a 455 Rancher and ms250 for loaners and for help on the ground. None of my help is experienced and these saws are perfect for them. If someone wants more saw they get my 550 and that’s about it.

I’ve never owned a pro stihl other than my 201 and I’m thinking about buying a 462 and just see how it fits in with my cutting over the next 6 months. Maybe I will love it and grab it all the time and it’s a keeper? Maybe I will still reach for my 562 first and 390 second and only use the Stihl for firewood cutting or for fun when I want to… in which case likely sell it since I don’t collect.
See if I can find one first ….

What you reach for is determined by the job at hand.

In my disaster relief group I use my personally owned saws when in the bucket, but I use saws from the trailer when on the ground. When we have hefty ground work I use one of the 462’s. I like to use the lightest saw adequate for the job, but sometimes I need the 462 or even a 36” we have for certain jobs. When the job warrants the 462, it serves me very well.

That said, I would really hate to think of life with nothing but a 462. Have a good smaller saw or two and go for the 462 when the job fits it. A great saw IMHO.

I came close to getting a 462 a couple of months back. I picked up the 462, and then the 461 back to back at least a dozen times at the dealer. I had a hard time choosing. The 462 was noticeably lighter, but I ended up going with the 461. I'm old school. I haven't used it enough for it to wake up/ brake in, but I like it so far. I'm sure i'd be saying the same thing of the 462 if I went that route. I was really tempted by the 462, but I like analog stuff when possible.

Eta: i'm not a tree professional, but a contractor who clears and cleans up, and cuts down, only if there is nothing to potentially hit. If it's next to a house, call a professional. If it ain't...

Update,
after some really good offers here, which I sincerely appreciate, I decided that I wanted a new stock saw. Looked at both my local dealers and my choice was between an in stock ms400, or order and wait for either a 362 or 462. 400 they said did not have a 3/4 wrap option which I want.

Between the other two I decided to order a 362cm with a 3/4 wrap. Hope that wasn’t a mistake but its done now. Who knows when it will ever arrive though.

It’s an ok saw but not one of there best. Get the husky 562 in the 60cc series. I know I know you already ordered, but can always cancel :p
That’s funny…. My 562 is my most used saw and I really enjoy it. I guess I just wanted to give a Stihl a try, besides my climbing saw. Kinda like changing truck brands just to see a different hood. I’m not sure where this is headed, but you’re right I think I can cancel if I decided too soon enough.

I’m not saying you will be disappointed but the 562 is the class in the 60cc unless you want to count the new 400 which is more to a 70cc class imo. Now if you wanted the 462 like the original post I think you’d be happy but then again for pricing the 572 is very appealing.

I’m not saying you will be disappointed but the 562 is the class in the 60cc unless you want to count the new 400 which is more to a 70cc class imo. Now if you wanted the 462 like the original post I think you’d be happy but then again for pricing the 572 is very appealing.
That’s exactly what I think I might have done wrong. Not spent the extra for the 462, which they said I could also get in a 3/4 wrap.

362 wrap still hasn’t come in, but they got a few 400s so with the new info I got from arborsite about 362 wraps fitting the 400, I used my credit on the 400 today and will just find the wrap for it later. Pretty excited to see what this 400 can do. Putting dogs and bark box in it this afternoon before it hits any wood.

Attachments

• 50E8ECA5-C18C-4932-9557-8B71A6B74492.jpeg
    50E8ECA5-C18C-4932-9557-8B71A6B74492.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
Off to ace to find stainless bolts for the clutch cover dog

Good Luck. I spent to much time looking for the same yesterday. OEM outer felling dog (or Bumper Spike) for the 400c. Finally I was about to order 2 bolts and 2 nuts from Stihl, when the parts guy actually looked up the specs of the bolt. Found it, in a different area then I was looking. Then finding a proper pitched nut was another journey. I did find some flange nuts that fit the bolt, but had to file off a portion of the flange. I was getting a bit angry -- I was wearing a to big of a jacket and getting overheated, and there was this 90yo woman that kept making baby talk to my dog.

Good Luck. I spent to much time looking for the same yesterday. OEM outer felling dog (or Bumper Spike) for the 400c. Finally I was about to order 2 bolts and 2 nuts from Stihl, when the parts guy actually looked up the specs of the bolt. Found it, in a different area then I was looking. Then finding a proper pitched nut was another journey. I did find some flange nuts that fit the bolt, but had to file off a portion of the flange. I was getting a bit angry -- I was wearing a to big of a jacket and getting overheated, and there was this 90yo woman that kept making baby talk to my dog.
😂 some days huh

Back