I really want this tree.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There seems to be a lot of responses to things that 066 DIDN'T say. All he said was there were a bunch of trees on the neighbor's property that he would like to cut, but the land owner didn't grant permission. He's just sharing his dead-tree envy with us. He's not devising dastardly schemes to thwart the will of the elderly couple.
066 should just disregard most of the comments. They're just a bunch of trouble makers. Lol

I created a big uproar when I posted a pic of the 8 cords or so of railroad ties and telephone poles, my neighbor is burning in his outdoor wood burner. I got everything from I should call the cops on him to why are you snooping in his back yard( never left my property ). Just an update on that, he moved them by his burner and is burning them daily.

I created a big uproar when I posted a pic of the 8 cords or so of railroad ties and telephone poles, my neighbor is burning in his outdoor wood burner. I got everything from I should call the cops on him to why are you snooping in his back yard( never left my property ). Just an update on that, he moved them by his burner and is burning them daily.
Lol, what were you doing snooping in your neighbours back yard like some nosey Parker?
Are you sure that is all he is burning?
If it was me, I'd be doing some more detective work. Lol

Lol, what were you doing snooping in your neighbours back yard like some nosey Parker?
Are you sure that is all he is burning?
If it was me, I'd be doing some more detective work. Lol
Wasn't snooping they were lined up right next to the fenceline.. trust me ..you couldn't miss them

Not to derail from the captivating porcupine chimney brush discussion, but I totally understand OP's feelings here. I drive by tons of standing dead wood every day, knowing that the landowner doesn't allow any cutting, and just watching all the BTU's go to waste. I'll never trespass to steal someone else's property, even though I think it is wasteful, but I still feel the longing to go out there and clean it up. That's life.

Heck, I know there are areas on my own home property that have some standing dead or blowdown timber, that isn't easily accessible by tractor, so the wood will probably rot. And I have full permission to be there and cut it up. Sometimes I lay awake at night thinking about that too.

OK, not really, I sleep just fine (and warm) basking in the heat of the wood I have scrounged. :drinkingcoffee:

I drive by tons of standing dead wood every day... and just watch all the BTU's go to waste.

Based on what I can see from the road, I often wonder if the fallen trees alone would be enough to heat all the homes in this country.

Now, back to the porcupine discussion!

Based on what I can see from the road, I often wonder if the fallen trees alone would be enough to heat all the homes in this country.

Now, back to the porcupine discussion!
Drive from MN to New York on I90. The amount of standing dead scrounge from Chicago to Albany is almost impossible to comprehend!!!

I like dead red elms. The barks off, All small branches are off already. You can literally cut up and use the entire tree. And red elm that's been dead a couple years, splits really nice. It's my favorite. This tree will probably be standing there 10 years from now. They typically start to break off little by little from the top down. Basically the opposite of American elm that gets soft at the base and is a punky sponge 2 years after it dies.

I like dead red elms. The barks off, All small branches are off already. You can literally cut up and use the entire tree. And red elm that's been dead a couple years, splits really nice. It's my favorite. This tree will probably be standing there 10 years from now. They typically start to break off little by little from the top down. Basically the opposite of American elm that gets soft at the base and is a punky sponge 2 years after it dies.
Yes, it's hard to beat red elm, and like you say it sheds it's bark once dead. It is one of the strongest hardwoods out there.

Definitely not hard to fire up victims on the internet nowadays. You all need a life. I purchased a woodlot of tops which will completely fill my personal wood "pipeline" and hopefully provide some to sell to pay for itself.

I have a few large ash trees on the neighbors plot that will go to waste. We are awash in good, available scrounge here though so no need to complain. After the contract runs out I'll be fine.

You really think that cutting a timber company's logs without permission is okay just because you want some firewood ?
First of all, you're breaking the law. If you're on the timber company's land without their okay you're trespassing. If the logs you cut are length prescribed for milling and are devalued by the removal of any of their length you've committed vandalism. If you take the wood you've cut, you're a thief pure and simple.
A lot of people have an attitude like yours. That's one of the reasons that we had to ban firewood cutters from our ground. The majority of firewood cutters are probably alright but people like you give us problems that we don't need.

how is it your ground? i heard from a reliable source that you pack wedges for workers who are hired by the owners of the ground you speak of. so where do you get OUR out of that? your entitled because your a wedge *****? what would they do without you? when are they gonna start using pouches down south? or can you still do it for cheaper? lol

Where is this? I mean i know in gerneral where you live blaster. Maybe i could send the forester over to buy their timber. They'll want a clean out after that. I'm cutting lizard mound by the way. If you carry insurance they may let you in. Give me a call if you still have my number. Otherwise pm me. This would be a good week to look at it.

Where is this? I mean i know in gerneral where you live blaster. Maybe i could send the forester over to buy their timber. They'll want a clean out after that. I'm cutting lizard mound by the way. If you carry insurance they may let you in. Give me a call if you still have my number. Otherwise pm me. This would be a good week to look at it.
The woods just east of my dads, on forest view. There isn't much big stuff in there, mostly beech, elm ,ash.

Latest posts

Back