I set the new world record for dumb.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nardoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was playing around with my new to me Poulan 3400 Countervibe trying to get the oiler working. After umpteen pull downs and put backs I thought I had it. So I spun the clutch on and took the saw outside to see if any oil would come out that itty bitty hole.

I fired her up and all nostalgically gave her a rev then another. Oh, the sound of that saw had all these memories coming back. I peeped at the oil hole, gave her a good blip and that marvelous, heavy clutch spider took off at around 10,000RPM!

I saw it hit the ground and leap forward but my eyes were too slow to follow the speed of that thing as it accelerated like a missile and streaked across my back paddock. I tracked it for the first 20 yards like a wounded deer before the sign disappeared. I scoured the ground for a hundred and fifty yards for over an hour before giving up. Even my sheep thought I was stupid.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Please feel free to kick my butt.

WANTED: Clutch spider for Poulan Countervibe series.

P3190741.jpg

You're not the first one to do that trick. Thankfully, I have read a few stories like your's so that I always put the bar and chain on when I first fire it up to 'torque' the clutch on.

I never knew that could happen until I read the stories on this forum.

Well since you have brought this topic up,i dont feel all alone ,wasn't all that long ago that after cutting posts for the morning i spent the rest of the afternoon retacing my footsteps in tha attempt of finding the keys to my ute,well after about 4 hours of walking and scouring the yard and around my sheds it was getting late so i decided to wind the windows up on the old tilly and head in ,it was then that i saw them in the ignition :mad:
Your not alone,hope you find it

I think ALL of us have been there, or at least similar in problem!
Good thing parts are still out there for the old girl!

Matt, I have done more stupid things in my life than about anyone I know. Thanks for your PM.

Al.

Count, you weren't in Germany when you did that, were you? My brother was walking through the woods and found a neat little ax that someone had sunk into a log and obviously forgot where the log was.

He probably should have looked around a bit, he may have even found a chainsaw clutch.

LOL,nop.
I was not in Germany at the time. i am confident that I lost mine on the ground; a stump falling may have buried it; as it turned rather dark, I wasn`t able to find it; but the location is just outside my in law`s yard so i`ll have another look.
:)

Don't feel too bad... I have a friend that did the same thing with his 394... It was the funniest thing that I have seen when it comes to chainsaws. We did find it, it came to rest about 75 yards in his neighbors yard... When we found we still had tears rolling down our faces, Laughing the whole time... Hope you find it. Try a metal detector and expand your search area, they can really travel... Good luck!

I did the same thing in my garage. I think it hit all four walls before it stopped under my workbench, with me standing there wondering WTF JUST HAPPENED! It's a wonder it didn't go through the sheetrock on the wall! Believe me that one lodged in my memory for WHAT NOT TO DO in the future.

You're not the only one to launch a clutch, did it on my 262xp, didn't get it tight enough after replacing the spocket rim, it spun off when I let off the throttle. The spider, weights and spring went in all directions. Lucky I was inside my shop so I was able to find everything. :bang:

my blunder of the day wasn't as bad as these but.... filled the gas and oil this morning and neighbor stopped to chat, went back in the garage and picked up the saw that was on it's side still and QUICKLY realized the oil cap wasn't on.. 1/2 tank all over the work bench and floor. I usually do this with the gas, much easier to clean up. :dizzy:

This one is up near the top.

I think this one is up near the top of being stupid!

I launched a clutch shoe into orbit one time when I used the impact to pull the clutch. I had it broken loose and it was on by a few threads. Instead of taking it off by hand I give it one last rip. I never did find that little bugger! I looked around for a while for a single clutch shoe, couldn't find one. I got a used clutch for replacement.

Oh...come to think about it....I do have two extra clutch shoes for a Jonsered 520sp!

my blunder of the day wasn't as bad as these but.... filled the gas and oil this morning and neighbor stopped to chat, went back in the garage and picked up the saw that was on it's side still and QUICKLY realized the oil cap wasn't on.. 1/2 tank all over the work bench and floor. I usually do this with the gas, much easier to clean up. :dizzy:

I did that just the other day as well with my new 7900!

I must have been in too big a hurry to hear it run. :laugh:

At least I had it sitting on a old sweat shirt on the floor.

I think this one is up near the top of being stupid!

I launched a clutch shoe into orbit one time when I used the impact to pull the clutch. I had it broken loose and it was on by a few threads. Instead of taking it off by hand I give it one last rip. I never did find that little bugger! I looked around for a while for a single clutch shoe, couldn't find one. I got a used clutch for replacement.

Oh...come to think about it....I do have two extra clutch shoes for a Jonsered 520sp!

Yup, sent then flyin with a impact as well.

Back