I should not have done it but I bought a Dolmar 6400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you bought it cause I would have even with knowing what you found wrong with it. I wonder if a HD filter kit would fix all your problems with the filter cover( broken and missing clip). I think it would replace that filter base too. Glad you didnt spend the 600 on a new one. I almost did the same thing but then I got a new 7900 for just a few more bucks than a 6400. Good score man, Im happy for you.

Glad you bought it cause I would have even with knowing what you found wrong with it. I wonder if a HD filter kit would fix all your problems with the filter cover( broken and missing clip). I think it would replace that filter base too. Glad you didnt spend the 600 on a new one. I almost did the same thing but then I got a new 7900 for just a few more bucks than a 6400. Good score man, Im happy for you.

I am still very happy with the purchase, even with the few problems. The HD kit does not replace the part where cover clip attaches, but that is still something I would like to add later on.

I am still very happy with the purchase, even with the few problems. The HD kit does not replace the part where cover clip attaches, but that is still something I would like to add later on.

Thats right now that I go look at it. Too bad it doesnt though, could kill two birds with one stone.

I got mine on ebay about 4 years ago for $160, it looked like crap, actually it's the Makita, but as you know the same thing. I bet you will be like me and when you run it you'll think "why spend the money to upgrade when it cuts as well as it does". I love mine and I'll bet you love this one also. It's my go to saw. JR

This poor powerhouse has been pushed to the back of the bench for awhile now. Today I visited the website of site sponsor Edge and Engine and found myself ordering the parts needed to fix this ole girl up. AV buffer was $8.22, carb base was $23.12, filter clips were $1.82 each and I picked up a complete HD air filter kit for only $70. The carb base and clips were not in stock but the website states they will ship in 5-10 days.

I see the kill switch has already been reversed! I just flipped mine today on the 7300. I kept trying to start mine in the off position and flooding it. Was used to the husky's.

With your experience and ability, you will have it looking like this in no time as you have done before . . . .

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Be it that your saw has the smallest jug on it I like to call it the "sissy four hundred". :)
It is the "baby" of this series but not a "sissy" by far. This 64cc saw gives my 372xp and 044 a real work out. Sometime "down the road" I hope to upgrade it with the OEM 7900 top end.
I see the kill switch has already been reversed! I just flipped mine today on the 7300. I kept trying to start mine in the off position and flooding it. Was used to the husky's.
I didn't know it had been flipped.... Seems like the big stop sign symbol would be a tip that the saw is turned off....... LOL
With your experience and ability, you will have it looking like this in no time as you have done before . . . .
That sure is a pretty machine but I don't want a saw that looks that nice. After I got that 372xp all rebuilt and shined up I almost don't want to use it now.
Congratulations on the new saw. I am sure you will love it.
geoff.
:cheers:
I have wanted one for a long time, mainly because of how easy they are to upgrade. So far I am "tickled pink" with the saw.

It is the "baby" of this series but not a "sissy" by far. This 64cc saw gives my 372xp and 044 a real work out. Sometime "down the road" I hope to upgrade it with the OEM 7900 top end.

6400's run awesome. For 64cc's it's a powerful strong as hell robust saw.

I was just being a smart @$$. :)

If / when it get's a 79'er top end you'll be smiling for sure. :)

You did great on that deal! I never was able to find a bargain like that on the bay.

My question is why would you run 20" skip on a 6400?? This saw would pull 20" full comp like a tank.

Congrats on the saw mate :cheers:
By the way make sure you run that 20" bar with skip chain before you make too many judgements. You might be surprised ;) I've done it and although I don't run skip on bars that short I did test it and there was very little in the speed difference. That was also on my ported and pop upped 7900 with 8 pin :D

Okay. Time to get back to the regular 6400 thread.

Edge and Engine got my parts got here in record time and I got them all installed today. Eventually I am going to upgrade it with a 7900 top end and will go ahead and replace the intake boot, fuel line and such at that time. For now all those parts seem to be in very good condition.

The new HD filter system
100_2728.jpg

100_2729.jpg

100_2730.jpg

Also replaced the "carb shelf" and both filter cover clips
100_2732.jpg

Also installed one new rear AV buffer on the clutch side.

Did I have the spare cash to buy it? Nope...... But I have wanted one for a long time and this little beauty showed up on Ebay this morning for $257 shipped, came with a 20" bar and decent chain. I bet I went back to the auction page 20 times while I was "kicking" the idea around but before I knew it I found myself clicking confirm payment. I was also a little skittish because of the low feedback score but I guess even the best sellers had to start at 0, plus the background leads me to believe this person is mechanical inclined and probably maintained the saw. The 180psi of compression makes me happy also...........

KGrHqFlUE4ltPhZirBOOsReWrg0_12.jpg

KGrHqNiUE4wYBZokfBOOsRhBvZg0_12.jpg

KGrHqVhUE3uGkQ-SBOOsR32tUg0_12.jpg

KGrHqIOKpME4vNRi6QDBOOsR40IgQ0_12.jpg

KGrHqFjcE4oMO0e5qBOOsSBHow0_12.jpg

Guess I need a big bore and HD filter kit now...........

I own a few Dolmars, and in fact the first one I ever owned was a 6300. That's the very saw that sold me on Dolmar. These saws can take anything you throw at them. They just go an go and go. I think you've got quite the saw there Roanoker, and if it's anything like the first one of mine, you'll really going to like the way it handles.

Its a VERY EASY install. Its worth the time and effort....about 10 minutes to do.

NICE score on the 6400!!!!!!! You will really like it as everyone else has stated!!!!

Back