I was given a MS460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been there

Andy, I feel for you. Been there with my Dakota. Piston detonated, when I was swamped with work. I didn't have time to rebuild it, went and got a junkyard motor. Much quicker to swap them. Hope ya get her going without more probs.

I have 5 days left before my tabs expire, and I need an emissons test... Couldn't even get the test last week - too much oxygen and too low CO2 in the tailpipe... I thought of calling Al Gore, but...

It's been idling like crap for 5 years... and leaking oil for 12, but when the injectors started to leak gas I figured I'd better do something about it before I was featured on the evening news - "truck burns on freeway"... lolol Hmmm ... maybe I was a bit quick with that repair :monkey:

I bought the truck new in 1990. All I've ever done In 135K miles is tires, brakes and 9 (NINE) mufflers. All the mufflers are paid for by Mazda, including fitting... 'cos I bought the first one... and they have a lifetime warranty on parts. The main muffler tilts forward, and rots out the front every 18 months no matter how few miles I do....

My POS truck is just basic transportation. My saws, on the other hand, are real nice...

I have 5 days left before my tabs expire, and I need an emissons test... Couldn't even get the test last week - too much oxygen and too low CO2 in the tailpipe... I thought of calling Al Gore, but...

It's been idling like crap for 5 years... and leaking oil for 12, but when the injectors started to leak gas I figured I'd better do something about it before I was featured on the evening news - "truck burns on freeway"... lolol Hmmm ... maybe I was a bit quick with that repair :monkey:

I bought the truck new in 1990. All I've ever done In 135K miles is tires, brakes and 9 (NINE) mufflers. All the mufflers are paid for by Mazda, including fitting... 'cos I bought the first one... and they have a lifetime warranty on parts. The main muffler tilts forward, and rots out the front every 18 months no matter how few miles I do....

My POS truck is just basic transportation. My saws, on the other hand, are real nice...

Ive ridden in that truck,,,,,, it didnt seem that bad!!!!!!! but you did booger that gasket up :dizzy:

Last edited:
Ms460

scootr. pm me. I need ser # off saw. I have tank hsgs. shrouds etc. I will respond to you message either way

Hey Andy,

If they don't have a pee hole on the low point of the muffler you can drill a 1/32" or so hole to help it drain. You probably do a bit of short trip driving? Not enough time to boil the condensation out of the exhaust on cold starts. We see it all the time, mostly to little old ladies that only drive to the grocery store, the doctor, and the pharmacy.:hmm3grin2orange:

I don't fix many saws but do a couple thousand cars a year at my shop.

Just a thought.

yes... I drive very short distances and only use the truck 3K per year now... but that's Mazda's problem :buttkick:

They have a pee hole... doesn't seem to help (I figure it blocks up). And... In vehicles pre 1995 the emissions test guys put a second probe in, and the pee hole can let in too much air in and screw up the stupid WA state emission test... grrrrr.... I live one mile from "not needing" a test to get my tabs. maybe I should just park it until 2015 - then I won't need a test (over 25 years old).

Last edited:
046, 460 parts

Don't know what $$ or exact parts you need, but I found quite a few through this site:
[URL= http://www.mpire.com/460-046-chainsaws-s--auctions.htm

Good Luck -hope yo find wht ya need

I have close to zero bench space my shop at present... 2 1/2 bridgeports, 2 emco V10P lathe mill units, and a zillion other pending projects have me out in the driveway.

I did just find a spot to rebuild .aspx's 066 carb (just to my left) .... had to hacksaw the side off an 046 carb to get the part I needed to fix his! In the pic I'm derusting/cleaning a very fine chuck (Albrecht)for my mill....

attachment.php

Last edited:
Grrrrrr.... you have not idea what I'd give for a lift right now. There are two bolts that I have to lie under the truck and reach up above the front diff and along the engine to get at.. Damn near impossible...

Doesn't help that I didn't know the inlet manifold was water heated, and when when I levered it off the gasket, glycol poured DOWN everywhere... :cry: :cry:

BTW... congrats on 5000 posts!

Last edited:
Yup, I hear ya. I hate working on the ground also. I would tell you to drop on by but that would be a haul, LOL. The few side jobs I do at the house need a lift 90% of the time, thinking of building a shop with one.:dizzy: btw, check your mail!

yes... I drive very short distances and only use the truck 3K per year now... but that's Mazda's problem :buttkick:

They have a pee hole... doesn't seem to help (I figure it blocks up). And... In vehicles pre 1995 the emissions test guys put a second probe in, and the pee hole can let in too much air in and screw up the stupid WA state emission test... grrrrr.... I live one mile from "not needing" a test to get my tabs. maybe I should just park it until 2015 - then I won't need a test (over 25 years old).

You know, Kansas doesn't seem too bad.....what is an emissions test? Is that where you demonstrate you know the difference between methane (cattle emissions) and heptane (something having to do with gasoline)? I see a number of old smokers on the road around here. Good luck with your truck, Doctor Andy.

Back